Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

Interesting video on YouTube which seems to be a ceremony in honour of the French dead in Indo-China. Its nice to see them remembered considering it was so long ago and the campaign was fought by French Regulars, Algerians, Senagelese, FFL and local Vietnemese.

The FFL is represented obviously, both in the honour guards and the old veterans.

The French do ceremonial events like this pretty well. I notice the band plays 'Robert the Bruce' at about 6.00. @fantassin who is the bloke with the beard in civies reviewing the troops and talking to the veterans? and the cute chick doing the speech at 18.35 next to the two old blokes?

Not far from the truth...will try to remember the name of the film made about parkour starring some of the original creators once I sober up some
Channel Four did 2 films about Parkour. The first one (whose title I've forgotten) is a general history, the second is called "Jump London" & features a group of French teens at a variety of London locations doing their stuff.
ETA or was it "Run London"?

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
So the Legionnaires and Caporaux are forbidden to use the Réfectoire / Ordinaire (JRM) for their Dinner? That seems to me to be illegal. As I understand it, the Junior Ranks’ Mess has an allocated sum of money per head for feeding arrangements.

While the meagre breakfast at the Ordinaire was always considered optional (apart from for the newbies) with the preference being to buy proper coffee and croissants from the Company Clubs, they in no way substituted for Lunch and Dinner except for exceptional cases and Company Commanders were expected to ensure that Legionnaires were adequately fed.

I remember when as a new arrival, I had been given some arduous “corvées” (duties). I and some others had been rinsing sea jump parachutes in the Fiume Secco river all day and we had returned late and missed the dinner parade. The “Sergent de Semaine” just put us to work raking the gravel on the Parade Square. The Company Commander is leaving the block, spots me and asks me if I had a good dinner. When I told him that we hadn’t eaten, he went back inside, rifted the Company Duty Sergeant and had us marched over to the cookhouse for dinner. This Officer (a hard man) was absolutely loved by his troops.
Lianos? (spelling). Greek

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
It rings a bell.. will get back on this

Adds: David Belle, stuntman and the creator of the Parkour discipline
There is a site, Parkour Paris

Last edited:
1611779750952.png

A striking recruiting poster on the Foreign Legion's official recruitment Facebook page.

Posted on the Foreign Legion Official Twitter feed: A short clip on the VBMR-L Serval (the VBMR Griffon's little brother) which will equip the light combat units of the French Army including the 11th Parachute Brigade of which 2 REP is a component part.

The French do ceremonial events like this pretty well. I notice the band plays 'Robert the Bruce' at about 6.00. @fantassin who is the bloke with the beard in civies reviewing the troops and talking to the veterans? and the cute chick doing the speech at 18.35 next to the two old blokes?

Beardie type was then then PM Edouard Philippe.

He made all the Aussies cry when he spoke at the centennial in 2017. He has forms for those events.

Last edited:
Beardie type was then then PM Edouard Philippe.

He made all the Aussies cry when he spoke at the centennial in 2017. He has forms for those events.

Thanks, but more important, who was the cute chick? She could make me cry if she wanted to.

I think, and I don’t know exactly so @fantassin may be able to clarify, that it is still 1 year, it’s just that you won’t be able to receive it or something until 2 years of service because of paperwork or something. I don’t remember the clause exactly.

MdN are point based; various activities give you a number of points and when you reach the limit for each grade (bronze, silver, gold) you become eligible. Then the paper work needs to be done.

Once you get an ordre national (Légion d'honneur, ordre national du Mérite) you are no longer eligible to any MdN except those with a citation.

The exact conditions are there (in French)

Latest Threads