Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

1611490065131.png

Link to a post on 2 REP’s official Twitter feed with a video of the Command and Logistics Company undertaking some training:

Retrospective video clip for 2020 posted on the official Foreign Legion YouTube site:

As an aside the French word "formation" means "forming" i.e. "training in" or "instruction on" something.

From the Foreign Legion's official Twitter feed: Not 2 REP, but 1 REG this time, exercising amphibious operations with the French Navy landing craft and the Amphious Assault Ship and Helicopter Carrier "Tonnerre":
1611494176511.png

1611780771103.png

1611780787312.png

Edited to add a couple more pictures:

Last edited:
I've just found this unusual picture of a bagpiper in the Legion Band. Having done a brief search, it appears the picture was taken in 2018 when the Legion Band/Orchestra played a concert at 1 REG's garrison at Laudun.

While the bagpipes are not a standard instrument in he Legion Band, the Band likes to show off its musicians versatile skill set and pipers have always been appreciated in the Legion. We had a Scotsman in 2 REP in the mid-eighties who was always in demand (much to his annoyance often being asked (told) to play at fuunctions in the Officers' and SNCO's Messes. If I recall correctly he went on to a successful career as a Sous-Officier at 2 REP.

1611497467369.png

Last edited:

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
I tried to P.M. you too but couldn't...think it's something to do with the Artificial intelligence not letting me having acces to my souvenirs....
Post Schitum
Re: the flag we all signed? Still exists

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
I've just found this unusual picture of a bagpiper in the Legion Band. Having done a brief search, it appears the picture was taken in 2018 when the Legion Band/Orchestra played a concert at 1 REG's garrison at Laudun.

While the bagpipes are not a standard instrument in he Legion Band, the Band likes to show off its musicians versatile skill set and pipers have always been appreciated in the Legion. We had a Scotsman in 2 REP in the mid-eighties who was always in demand (much to his annoyance often being asked (told) to play at fuunctions in the Officers' and SNCO's Messes. If I recall correctl he went on to a successful career as a Sous-Officier at 2 REP.

View attachment 542498

Gus McLean?

The bagpipe post reminded me that Scots (and Irish) men have a long historic tradition of serving under French Colours that well predates the Foreign Legion. Over the years there were several different regiments in the service of the French Crown.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
The bagpipe post reminded me that Scots (and Irish) men have a long historic tradition of serving under French Colours that well predates the Foreign Legion. Over the years there were several different regiments in the service of the French Crown.
Sweden, as well - lots of Scots mercenaries in Gustavus Adolfus' army and a number since.

Sweden, as well - lots of Scots mercenaries in Gustavus Adolfus' army and a number since.
Yes, that was the Rangers fans. The Celtic ones served on the other side! :) :)

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
A tune that the french army plays at every parade, more or less, is, Bruces adress to his troops...
The melody is exactly that of Scots wha hae
Robert Burns took the original and added the lyrics
The tempo is a perfect match for our low speed march
Legend says, it was first played at Orleans when Joan D' Arc conquered the city / town
She was called la Pucelle (virgin)... because she was born in / at Domrémy-la Pucelle in Lorraine
English propaganda did the rest
Scottish mercenaires took part in the battle
Google can be a freind if you want

I tried to P.M. you too but couldn't...think it's something to do with the Artificial intelligence not letting me having acces to my souvenirs....
Post Schitum
Re: the flag we all signed? Still exists
Check your account privacy settings

Latest Threads