Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

I think that a key issue for the FFL right now is to attract more French speakers, with education if possible, to cope with the network enabled Scorpion program.
Yes, that has been highlighted by both current and former FFL GOC’s and current recruiting efforts are really focusing internally, lots more media exposure and a bit softer focus, like the recent France3 Provence-Alpes report from Aubagne.

As for a new regiment, l'd love to see the 5°REI resurected !

Seconded! And what with New Caledonia, just last week, once again voting to remain a part of France.

A well earned mug of Gluhwein after a hard days march for a Legionnaire of 2 REG:
1602105398634.png

(Or it might be his morning coffee before the day's training in the Alps) ;)

Close Combat Training in 2 REP:

The first video clip is set in Camp Raffalli and the training area adjacent to the camp.

The second video clip is set in the grounds of old Fort Maillebois, on the ridge above Calvi, a few hundred metres ESE of the Citadel. It is one of two defensive forts, dating back to the 18th Century. The one to its north, Fort Charlet, was sold off a few years ago and refurbished to become a cultural centre and gallery as well as a conservation workshop. Fort Charlet used to house 2 REP's confidence course and the "Police Militaire" (Regimental Police) detachment in town. Fort Maillebois was the high intensity prison and correction centre which dealt with the REP's hard disciplinary cases after the Legion's high intensity prison and correction centre the "Section d'Epreuves" (literally the "Prooving/Testing Platoon") in Corte, central Corsica was shut in the mid-70's. I posted more details about Maillebois in an earlier post (on page 5 of the thread I think).

Edited to add: A recent aerial view of the two old forts from the south. Maillebois in the foreground and the sold and renovated for civilian use Charlet in the background.
1602183635769.png

The screenshot above was taken from a video on the Calvi tourism webpage (in English), which is worth a gander. It certainly puts Colchester (and previously Aldershot) into perspective as garrison towns!
The low wall on the left with the superimposed white fenceposts is delineates the "Carre Militaire" or "Military Square" which means the military cemetery of Calvi, where REPmen are laid to rest unless they or their families have indicated otherwise.

A view from the north of Fort Charlet as it used to look before the rebuilding into a cultural centre, with Fort Maillebois in the background:
1602185743913.png

You can see the white walls of the "Carre Militaire" to the right of Fort Maillebois in this picture.

Last edited:
A view of Calvi Citadel from the north set against the backdrop of the Corsican Mountains:
1602187056196.png

The blocky building with the rounded bastions on the right of the Citadel, is Caserne Sampiero, the Officers' Mess of 2 REP.

engr172

War Hero
Book Reviewer
A well earned mug of Gluhwein after a hard days march for a Legionnaire of 2 REG:
View attachment 510463

(Or it might be his morning coffee before the day's training in the Alps) ;)
I was in Normandy a few years ago, and the FFL recruiting wagon was there. Popped over for a chat, and the young officer in charge told me that this regiment is where the majority of “English” are now posted to.. If that is still the case, I am unsure. This does look like a very interesting regiment, with some of the skills they practice.

No vacancies in Indo China at the moment though.
If push came to shove in the Far East, it doesn’t take much imagination to see the ironic possibility of French units back in Tonkin helping defend Vietnam from its northern neighbour.

If push came to shove in the Far East, it doesn’t take much imagination to see the ironic possibility of French units back in Tonkin helping defend Vietnam from its northern neighbour.

A reborn 5°REI would make an ideal multi battalion speed bump against the chinese onslaught on French posessions in the Pacific...Camerone galore on isolated islands...

Last edited:
A reborn 5°REI would make an ideal multi batralion speed bump against the chinese onslaught on French posessions in the Pacific...Camerone galore on isolated islands...
Echoes of the Korean War.

I seemed to remember that there was a connection to 13 DBLE, (shared CO’s).
They were pretty unlucky to survive Korea and then get massacred with GM 100 at the Battle of the Mang Yang pass in 1954.

I remember reading a book a long time ago when I was a kid about Indo China I think it was probably by Bernand Fall. Apparently the French Korean veterans got a lot of stick from the long serving Indo Chine veterans as they expected the same standard of equipment as they were supplied with by the Americans in Korea.

The Dutch UN battalion in Korea was made up of volunteers from regular soldiers of the former Dutch contingent fighting in the Netherlands East Indies which gained Independence as Indonesia in 1949, and former Dutch members of the Waffen SS who had fought on the Russian Front as a way of regaining their civil rights.

2 REP, Second Company; mountain training in Corsica:
Photo by 2e REP Officiel on October 13, 2020. Image may contain: one or more people, mountain, sky, cloud, tree, outdoor and nature.

Photo by 2e REP Officiel on October 13, 2020. Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, outdoor and nature.

Réveille in the Legion!

The latest video clip about 2 REG, the Legion’s mountain engineer regiment:

A Google translation of an article on a very little known French units, the 6°CPIMa, which fought alongside 2°REP in Chad in the 1969-1972 period.

The 6°CPIMa is the French unit which saw the most combat action since the war in Algeria.

Last edited:
A Google translation of an article on a very little known French units, the 6°CPIMa, which fought alongside 2°REP in Chad in the 1969-1972 period.

The 6°CPIMa is the French unit which saw the most combat action since the war in Algeria.

Until 1975, when it was disbanded.

Latest Threads