Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

Found this pic from Kolwezi, May 1978.

Found this pic from Kolwezi, May 1978.

I posted the same photo on the “ally star” thread quite a while back.

The uniform and equipment is indicative of a MAT-49 armed “grenadier-voltigeur” (rifleman) of the time. It appears that the strap of the weapon is visible on the right shoulder. He has two diagonal stripes on a velcro patch on his chest indicating a “caporal” (more likely than a “sergent” because two gold stripes would stand out much more in monochrome than two green). So it appears that he may have been a “chef d’équipe choc” (assault team leader) in a typical “groupe” (rifle section). One can’t tell which company he’s from as the colour of the identifying “foulard” (triangular kerchief) worn on the right shoulder, cannot be discerned in monochrome.

The grenade pouch on his left thigh and the “poignard” (dagger) on the other one were usually only issued when on operations, together with a “trousse médicale” (medical pouch - not visible here) worn on the “brelage” (webbing) shoulder strap. This pouch contained a dressing and morphine and for this reason had a seal which had to be broken.

The visible grenade appears to be a standard “Grenade DF”(defensive, ie fragmentation grenade) as opposed to a standard “Grenade OF” (offensive, ie concussion grenade).

Last edited:
Tommy two knives aka Thomas deux couteaux

That was quite normal. You had your own personal one and the issue bayonet or dagger (for those that did not carry a rifle to mount a bayonet on). The officially favoured personal knife was a US Camillus design available for purchase in the “Foyer” (NAAFI equivalent). I still have mine, although an overzealous RAF mover tried to confiscate it when I was returning from TELIC 1.

lert

LE
That was quite normal. You had your own personal one and the issue bayonet or dagger (for those that did not carry a rifle to mount a bayonet on). The officially favoured personal knife was a US Camillus design available for purchase in the “Foyer” (NAAFI equivalent). I still have mine, although an overzealous RAF mover tried to confiscate it when I was returning from TELIC 1.
Did you not get spoons? My mum always told me not to eat off my knife!

I posted the same photo on the “ally star” thread quite a while back.

The uniform and equipment is indicative of a MAT-49 armed “grenadier-voltigeur” (rifleman) of the time. It appears that the strap of the weapon is visible on the right shoulder. He has two diagonal stripes on a velcro patch on his chest indicating a “caporal” (more likely than a “sergent” because two gold stripes would stand out much more in monochrome than two green). So it appears that he may have been a “chef d’équipe choc” (assault team leader) in a typical “groupe” (rifle section). One can’t tell which company he’s from as the colour of the identifying “foulard” (triangular kerchief) worn on the right shoulder, cannot be discerned in monochrome.

The grenade pouch on his left thigh and the “poignard” (dagger) on the other one were usually only issued when on operations, together with a “trousse médicale” (medical pouch - not visible here) worn on the “brelage” (webbing) shoulder strap. This pouch contained a dressing and morphine and for this reason had a seal which had to be broken.

The visible grenade appears to be a standard “Grenade DF”(defensive, ie fragmentation grenade) as opposed to a standard “Grenade OF” (offensive, ie concussion grenade).
I've always thought that the thigh grenade pouch would be quite uncomfortable. I take it that each grenade was in its own compartment inside the pouch?

I've always thought that the thigh grenade pouch would be quite uncomfortable. I take it that each grenade was in its own compartment inside the pouch?
It was. Could fit two in each compartment. WW2 vintage US design I believe.

The knife dangling from his belt is a US 17 rifle bayonet which has been shortened into an el cheapo combat knife. They were used for some times but were never as popular as the US M3.

Different types of bayonet suffered this treatment after WW2, including US 17, SMLE N°1 MkIII and Mauser 98K.

They were withdraw, from service and either destroyed or sold as surplus in the 1980s

They still can be found for 50-60 Euros

1601050009485.png

End of the "Stage Nautique" (Nautical Course) at the Third Company, 2 REP and award of the Brevet for those who have successfully completed it:
1601333400962.png

Picture and comment from official 2 REP Social Media.

Not 2 REP, but 2 REG: A nice little mountain training video.
2 REG is the sole Legion unit in the French Mountain Brigade, for which it provides intrinsic Combat Engineer support.

Last edited:
1601336663346.png

Wishing all paratroopers a happy St. Michael's Day!

1601336395154.png

Dropping on Mont St Michel in France.
1601336322671.png

The Paratrooper's Prayer, written by a French SAS Trooper Andre Zirnheld.

1601336499710.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads