How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

2 REP's way of keeping the local politicians sweet:

Jean-Jacques Ferrara, French member of parliament for southern Corsica and also a member of the parliamentary committee for national defence and the armed forces made a tandem jump with 2 REP out of an Airbus A400M Atlas Aircraft.

Probably during the same aircraft visit as the jump above, as it's an A400M:

2 REP has been used by "Section Technique de l’Armée de Terre" (The French Army's Technical Equipment Branch) and the "Armée de l’Air" (French Air Force) coordinated by the "Service Aérien du 2 REP" (2 REP's own airborne services module) to test and evaluate the following from this aircraft:

Air drop by visual flight and pilot estimation (without electronic/digital navigation aids as I understand it).
New way of weapon fixation to dropped troops trialled by the Legionnaires.
New heavy-weight freefall container trialled by the GCP (pathfinder platoon)

1595150329519.png

1595150555642.png

1595150618580.png

1595150405141.png

1595150433607.png

1595150462226.png

1595150503492.png

1595150785123.png

At the same time there is speculation that the Parachute Regiment is to be further reduced in size.
The French appear to take the airborne role far more seriously (and use it more consistently) than the British.

A team from 2 REP's GCP (Pathfinder Platoon and Tier 2 SF sub-unit) prior to deployment on an exercise:
1595150994655.png

Last edited:

2 REP has been used by "Section Technique de l’Armée de Terre" (The French Army's Technical Equipment Branch) and the "Armée de l’Air" (French Air Force) coordinated by the "Service Aérien du 2 REP" (2 REP's own airborne services module) to test and evaluate the following from this aircraft:

Air drop by visual flight and pilot estimation (without electronic/digital navigation aids as I understand it).

View attachment 490782
View attachment 490788
View attachment 490789
View attachment 490783
View attachment 490784
View attachment 490785
View attachment 490786
View attachment 490790

At the same time there is speculation that the Parachute Regiment is to be further reduced in size.
The French appear to take the airborne role far more seriously (and use it more consistently) than the British.
'The French appear to take the airborne role far more seriously (and use it more consistently) than the British.'
I believe the main reason for this is the ZOC of each country. If you want to Intervene in the French ZOC in Africa the easiest way is by plane. Gives great flexibility.
The UK - I think - will move to a more 'Napoleonic/ Victorian' form of intervention to protect trade. Primarily in coastal operations and 'pinch points'. I think that the UK got sucked into 2 world wars (The 2nd 30Years War) and lost perspective of what it can do with its industrial base and where its strengths lie.
Off-topic and please don't flame me -As to speculation re the PARAs -what about the Guards division and the mounted branch with their mounted band!!!!!

Do they have to put up with all the bullshit that the other Legionnaires have to put up with in the Companies?
Hell, no!

But they’ve all been through it though. To volunteer for the GCP pre-selection tests, you have to be at least a “Caporal”, so would have been in the Legion for about two years minimum and got a short overseas tour or two in already.

In any case, the major bullshit tends to be over once you’ve been a year in the Regiment.

Last edited:
The German MoD (AKK) has said rhat German soldiers who think there is not enough action in the Bundeswehr can always join the Foreign Legion.

The FFL reaction was quick:

A former FFL NCO og Austrian origin who worked for a demining organisation has been killed in an explosion in Syria. He had spent 23 years in the FFL

RIP

The German MoD (AKK) has said rhat German soldiers who think there is not enough action in the Bundeswehr can always join the Foreign Legion.

Wow! Now, that’s a first. The recruitment centre in Strasbourg is likely to get busier.

A former FFL NCO og Austrian origin who worked for a demining organisation has been killed in an explosion in Syria. He had spent 23 years in the FFL

RIP

Brave man. RIP.

Love this tweet in response from a German Legion Caporal:
1595316868761.jpeg

sorry, can’t get the clip to work.
Try this?
German Caporal teaching recruits to sing Westerwald.

Last edited:

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
Could be so, but these dudes obtain plien barrettes in a very short time time...i was judging by the képi when i posted
Picked up from Corse Matin
Do not know if there was a prise d' armes for the relève, COVID and chit

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
48324507-37962990.jpg

View attachment 490782
View attachment 490788
View attachment 490789
View attachment 490783
View attachment 490784
View attachment 490785
View attachment 490786
View attachment 490790

Both doors are open but only the right side is functional...?
3 rd pic when you scroll down

exspy

LE
Both doors are open but only the right side is functional...?
3 rd pic when you scroll down
It looks like they only used one door at a time to dispatch the troops, first port then starboard, rather than both together. But I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Dan.

Could be so, but these dudes obtain plien barrettes in a very short time time...i was judging by the képi when i posted
Picked up from Corse Matin
Do not know if there was a prise d' armes for the relève, COVID and chit
Ceremony is today.

So long as they don't move on to 'SS Machiert in Feindesland', or if they do, stick to the FFL version sung in French.
Neither would be acceptable. The French version was sung by the French volunteers for the Eastern Front in WW2.

However, the same tune is used for “La Legion Marche”, the 2REP Regimental March.

Latest Threads