How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

It’s a sprog’s locker, hence lack of “gilly-gilly”.
Is it not "guili guili" ? From the tickles you give to children.

Showing my age here, but gilly gilly makes me think of 2 Way Family Favourites and Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen by the Sea sung by Max Bygraves.

Is it not "guili guili" ? From the tickles you give to children.

Showing my age here, but gilly gilly makes me think of 2 Way Family Favourites and Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen by the Sea sung by Max Bygraves.
No idea about the spelling In French. I just wrote it as I heard it and as pronounced by the average English speaker. I have no idea of the origin of the term in French military jargon (referring to the various badges, braids, epaulettes, medals and other accoutrements that gather on parade and walking out uniforms).

No idea about the spelling In French. I just wrote it as I heard it and as pronounced by the average English speaker. I have no idea of the origin of the term in French military jargon (referring to the various badges, braids, epaulettes, medals and other accoutrements that gather on parade and walking out uniforms).
I've heard it used in the above sense. No idea of the origin in military use, perhaps @fantassin could enlighten us.

I've also seen 'guili" as a deformation of ghillie (camouflage) suit.

The bling added to the walking out or parade uniform is often called "gri-gri"; the equivalent term in English would be "Juju" as in amulets.
But I definitely recall it being called “gilly-gilly” in the Legion. Maybe that was a foreigners’ corruption of “gri-gri”. :)

Maybe coming from the very specific noise produced by a marching French army unit in parade dress, especially when the "rangers" combat boots were worn.

The combined sound of the rangers' buckles and dangling medals does indeed sound like "gling, gling, gling..." especially when the left heel hits the ground....

Nice picture of a parachute drop onto the Fiume Secco DZ just behind Camp Raffalli, the Corsican mountains in the background.
1593379518747.png

Training in helicopter abseiling (US=rappeling) and fast-roping.:

From 2 REP's official media channels.

The official Instagram account of the FFL has inexplicably been shut down today.

2 REP one still up though!

The official Instagram account of the FFL has inexplicably been shut down today.

Maybe some wibbly-wobbly woke w@nker (hmm, a wonker perchance?) took umbrage at something?

1593557332476.png

What appears to be the Platoon Commander and his small HQ element of "2eme Section, 5eme Compagnie de Combat" (i.e. 2nd Platoon, 5th Rifle Company) of 2 REP pictured regrouping after a training jump at the start of a field exercise.

Note:
Subdued rank badge on upper left arm - Two horizontal bars = Lieutenant (Platoon Commander).
Company identifiers - Buff/sand coloured square patch on upper left arm and triangle patch on back of helmet = 5th Company.
Platoon identifier - Stencilled figure two in triangle on back of helmet = 2nd Platoon.

Picture taken from official 2 REP social media.

Farewell ceremony at Les Invalides in Paris for Colonel Gabriel Chauvet (code name "Big-Boy") a survivor of the extreme fighting on Route Coloniale 4 (RC 4) between Dong Khe and Coc Xa in Indochina in October1950, when and where he was a young lieutenant in the 2nd Company of 1 BEP (First Foreign Legion Battalion, the precursor to 1 REP). He died recently. 2 REP, as the sole remaining Legion parachute unit and guardian of the Legion's airborne traditions and heritage, provided the pall-bearers. Note the subdued ceremony due to the ongoing anti-Covid-19 measures.
1593558870552.png

1593558833493.png

1593558770892.png

That's him on the left in 1950.
1593558930862.png

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
The bling added to the walking out or parade uniform is often called "gri-gri"; the equivalent term in English would be "Juju" as in amulets.
Correct
Many west African countries and sub Saharan use this term
It's a Voudou thingy used by witch doctos to scare off the bad spirits... they shake their gri - gri , blah blah
Strapped to the arm (s) or carried in a (usually a skin) pouch
Amulettes, insignes, lucky charms, bells and am quite sure of myself when I say, testicules too are considered as attributes

Farewell ceremony at Les Invalides in Paris for Colonel Gabriel Chauvet (code name "Big-Boy") a survivor of the extreme fighting on Route Coloniale 4 (RC 4) between Dong Khe and Coc Xa in Indochina in October1950, when and where he was a young lieutenant in the 2nd Company of 1 BEP (First Foreign Legion Battalion, the precursor to 1 REP). He died recently. 2 REP, as the sole remaining Legion parachute unit and guardian of the Legion's airborne traditions and heritage, provided the pall-bearers. Note the subdued ceremony due to the ongoing anti-Covid-19 measures.
View attachment 486256
View attachment 486255
View attachment 486254

That's him on the left in 1950.
View attachment 486257
People just think of Dien Bien Phu when the war in Indo China is mentioned but there was some pretty horrendous battles between 1946 to 1954. Wasn't the 1 BEP and 2 BEP pretty much wiped out a couple of times from their formation in 1948 until the war finished in 1954?

Last edited:
Correct
Many west African countries and sub Saharan use this term
It's a Voudou thingy used by witch doctos to scare off the bad spirits... they shake their gri - gri , blah blah
Strapped to the arm (s) or carried in a (usually a skin) pouch
Amulettes, insignes, lucky charms, bells and am quite sure of myself when I say, testicules too are considered as attributes
That sounds a load of bollo*ks

People just think of Dien Bien Phu when the war in Indo China is mentioned but there was some pretty horrendous battles between 1946 to 1954. Wasn't the 1 BEP and 2 BEP pretty much wiped out a couople of times from their formation in 1948 until the war finished in 1954?
Unfortunately yes. The battle to try to keep the RC 4 open was one of them.

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
It was in 1952 the 1 B.E.P. celebrated Camerone as we do today... General Rollet in 1915 awarded all Légion units the right to carry, ' Camerone', on the regiments colours
There's some good old pics and videos of the advance posts built by the Legion on the R.C. 4 (Route Colonial 4) Tonkin

Latest Threads