How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
MINUSMA and Barkhane both use GAO as their base and at times MINUSMA have helped Barkhane in several EVESANS (evacuation sanitaire)
Was a while back, I had the stats on the R.A.F.s performance in the Barkhane theater. Hrs sortie, cargo tonnage etc...
Think i came across it on the
Opex 360 forum (reliable source, btw)
Haven't been logged in for ages... Covid and crap!

Not necessarily the legion of course. Unless someone knows better. He'll be replaced but it keeps them under pressure.

Last edited:
It has been confirmed Droukdel was killed by French SF.

As for replacements, in the Sahel region, once killed, major players like Droukdel cannot be replaced with another man of the same stature.

Look at his pedigree. We are taling about a veteran with several decades of experience.

It has been confirmed Droukdel was killed by French SF.

As for replacements, in the Sahel region, once killed, major players like Droukdel cannot be replaced with another man of the same stature.

Look at his pedigree. We are taling about a veteran with several decades of experience.
As I understand it, this intelligence led strike combined SF troops deployed on the ground with UAV assets. The troops observing the target and possibly providing final precision guidance, while the UAV (a French Air Force Reaper) engaged. Then the SF went in to mop up and confirm the kill.

One more pic from that training jump:
View attachment 479791
Did you do all your jumps with the rifle fixed as per the middle picture ?
I really can't get my head round that, its got to cause lots of minor injuries at least.
And, as for jumping with a magazine attatched, and exposed ......... ! Ping ....there goes another one ....!

And how did you carry a GPMG / Mortar tube / CG etc ?

I take it La Legion has it's own in-house media ops section? ISTR watching something years ago where they had their own publishing team for Kepi Blanc. I would imagine things have progressed since then?

I really can't get my head round that, its got to cause lots of minor injuries at least.
And, as for jumping with a magazine attatched, and exposed ......... ! Ping ....there goes another one ....!

I can’t comment with complete accuracy on present day methods, as my last jump was in 1986 just before I finished my five year Legion contract. But it appears that in recent years jumps are successfully done with the assault rifle (whichever model) strapped to the body.

When I was in, personal weapons were placed in auxiliary containers which were strapped to the side of the main container for the bergan. When dropped on the line, it rotated so that the weapon container was on top and cushioned by the bergan container on landing. There were various sizes and types of personal weapon container of this ilk for the FAMAS, FRF1 sharpshooter rifle, MAS 49/56 rifle, AA-52 LMG/GPMG, LRAC 89 A/Tk weapon. But, Milan ATGW, 81mm Mortar, 12.7 HMG (.5" Browning) were all dropped in separate containers.

I take it La Legion has it's own in-house media ops section? ISTR watching something years ago where they had their own publishing team for Kepi Blanc. I would imagine things have progressed since then?
Yes and yes. The Legion has wholeheartedly adopted social media with multiple official Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram sites for the Legion as a whole, the recruitment branch and various regiments. This was likely done on the basis of “If you can’t beat them, join them” as there are many unofficial websites, some quite good, some absolutely terrible.

It's a way of cramming more paras in a plane than with the full equipment and it's important in a period when the C-160 is on its way out, the Atlas not fully capable and the C-130 getting long in the teeth. Static line paras need to do at least 6 jumps a year to stay "current" and get the para pay so every seat counts.

Also, the REP prides itself in doing everything seriously and it does not like what the US call "clean fatigue" jumps with zero equipment.

With the patrol pack and the rifle, at least a tactical exercise can be conducted after the jump.

Jumping with the rifle strapped on was routine for the Rhodesians for example, who also did it with GPMGs

1591551574426.png

It's a way of cramming more paras in a plane than with the full equipment and it's important in a period when the C-160 is on its way out, the Atlas not fully capable and the C-130 getting long in the teeth. Static line paras need to do at least 6 jumps a year to stay "current" and get the para pay so every seat counts.

Also, the REP prides itself in doing everything seriously and it does not like what the US call "clean fatigue" jumps with zero equipment.

With the patrol pack and the rifle, at least a tactical exercise can be conducted after the jump.

Jumping with the rifle strapped on was routine for the Rhodesians for example, who also did it with GPMGs

View attachment 480212
I think you will find that the Rhodesian example, without containers, is more to do with putting small cut-off groups out, with no intention of lengthy fighting.
Rifle, ammunition , water, see you in a few hours

I think you will find that the Rhodesian example, without containers, is more to do with putting small cut-off groups out, with no intention of lengthy fighting.
Rifle, ammunition , water, see you in a few hours
Yes, it's the same idea with the above picture of the 2°REP; short operations, no bergen, so more space in the plane and thus more paras can jump.

Even in 10 Para in the mid nineties when the LLP parachutes came in we switched from carrying the SA 80 in the weapons sleeve on the side of the CSEP to jumping wearing PLCE webbing with the rifle strapped to your side and still with full CSEP container.

It was nick named 'suicide order' but I never had any problems with it. I imagine the regular Parachute Regiment battalions must have been doing it as well.

Nice pic from the 2 REP Instagram feed, showing the training area and DZ at the back of Camp Raffalli and the Corsican mountains in the distance:
1591565740165.png

From the 2 REP Twitter Feed: Ten years ago "Sergent" Konrad Rygiel a Polish member of 2 REP's GCP (Pathfinder Platoon) was killed in action in Afghanistan, RIP:
1591566132947.jpeg

Between 1 and 6 June, the 1er REC BG was involved in 4 different TICs that led to the neutralization of several members of terrorist groups and the destruction of 10 motorbikes, their favorite mode of transport as well as the recovery of a quantity of weapons

AMX 10 RCR SEPAR

EaPvxZQXsAwfEHz.jpg

Panhard VBL

EaPvxZbXYAE8Q4n.jpg

Malian armed forces gun truck

EaPvxZzWsAIpdBI.jpg

Latest Threads