How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

The Lieutenant telling the Camerone story.....what is the patch on the right shoulder with what look like orcas on it?

Also the March and Shoot.... he's wearing what appears to be an Arktis vest in French cam'. Do they tend to be happy with issue kit, or are they as obsessed with buying not entirely necessary Gucci kit as their British counterparts?
The patch is this one:
1590876079706.png

French Armed Forces in French Guyana

As regards the "Gucci kit" - when I was in it was totaly verboten and you only used issue kit. However @fantassin has recently posted that this rule has been relaxed. Although I believe that in the case you are referring to it may actually be issue kit.

And a bit of history and culture:

The patch is this one:
View attachment 478046

French Armed Forces in French Guyana

As regards the "Gucci kit" - when I was in it was totaly verboten and you only used issue kit. However @fantassin has recently posted that this rule has been relaxed. Although I believe that in the case you are referring to it may actually be issue kit.
Ah, one of the orcas was actually a toucan! Are they limited to how many a day they can have under 'the toucan rule'?

Ahem...sorry.

Seriously, thank you for your answer.

Ah, one of the orcas was actually a toucan! Are they limited to how many a day they can have under 'the toucan rule'?

Ahem...sorry.

Seriously, thank you for your answer.
I cannot recall such a rule ever in the Legion, but God forbid if you are unfit for duty.

Anyway, I remember the two can rule often flouted in British Service. I can't remember which year (I did several tours there) but I remember a memorable night when FIsh (singer from Marillion for those who don't know) played a CSE concert in Sarajevo and dropped into the Sergeants' Mess in Ilidza (having fobbed off the Ruperts).

Last edited:
The Lieutenant telling the Camerone story.....what is the patch on the right shoulder with what look like orcas on it?

Also the March and Shoot.... he's wearing what appears to be an Arktis vest in French cam'. Do they tend to be happy with issue kit, or are they as obsessed with buying not entirely necessary Gucci kit as their British counterparts?
The Arktis 1601 was very popular throughout the French forces for about 10 years until CIRAS/Paraclete types of modern webbing/body armour combinations were issued.

In French Guyana, BA are very rarely worn and the 1601 can still have its use even though considering the humidity and heat, I'd rather use a traditional webbing for better ventilation. When I did a tour over there, I had improved my regulation webbing with additional pouches and it was more than enough.

The rules for individual kit have relaxed a lot, under pressure of events as many different patterns have been issued in small batches over the years for specific theaters and are sometimes used together.

Another French military (naval) term adopted into the English language!
When you consistently beat them at sea for 100s of years, it's only polite to steal their language as well as their ships....

The Arktis 1601 was very popular throughout the French forces for about 10 years until CIRAS/Paraclete types of modern webbing/body armour combinations were issued.

In French Guyana, BA are very rarely worn and the 1601 can still have its use even though considering the humidity and heat, I'd rather use a traditional webbing for better ventilation. When I did a tour over there, I had improved my regulation webbing with additional pouches and it was more than enough.

The rules for individual kit have relaxed a lot, under pressure of events as many different patterns have been issued in small batches over the years for specific theaters and are sometimes used together.
Many thanks.

I’ve always been a fan of chest rigs and vests, as I’ve long felt soldiers carry far too much before they’re given even more by their superiors. My view is based on my old 58 pattern, in that ammo and water on the belt/chest rig, and anything that would have gone in the kidney pouches and bum roll, in a daysack. By daysack I mean just that, not some humongous thing not much smaller than a Bergen.

All you need for slaughter is ammo and water.

Many thanks.

I’ve always been a fan of chest rigs and vests, as I’ve long felt soldiers carry far too much before they’re given even more by their superiors. My view is based on my old 58 pattern, in that ammo and water on the belt/chest rig, and anything that would have gone in the kidney pouches and bum roll, in a daysack. By daysack I mean just that, not some humongous thing not much smaller than a Bergen.

All you need for slaughter is ammo and water.
When we went to French Guyana, I had asked Arktis to do a batch of modified Allen Belt Kits (picture below of the standard version). I think they produced a few dozens, in green.

1590935403423.png

The modified version did away with the belt and the piece of material onto which the five pouches were sewn.

Instead, there were 3 large belt loops into which we slid the regulation FAMAS belt and two hooks on top to fasten the regulation suspenders. This way, one could return to a 100% regulation belt order in 2 minutes.

In the pouches I had 2X1 litre plastic US canteens, 1XButagaz Rando 360 stove with 2 canisters, 2Xchinese noodles in ziplock bags, some additional spices, a spoon, a non stick cup, a net hammock, bug juice, a folding knife and a survival tin. It was absolutely perfect for the conditions of French Guyana.

The below Sergent (with glasses) of 2°REI is 34 and has joined the FFL aged 23.

He originates from Guinée-Conakry and thus understands and speaks many dialects spoken in the Op Barkhane AOO.

After an injury he had to change trade and became a vehicle mechanic in the FFL. His technical and cultural skills are put to great use as he understands the locals much better and can read more into the behavior of the locals than his European colleagues.

1590936786743.png

Some weeks ago I was explaining in this thread the principles of "citations" on the Croix de Guerre and Croix de la Valeur Militaire.
Here is a superb example of a highly decorated Indochina (7 citations) and Algeria (11 citations) veteran who was WIA 4 times. I found the picture on the Internet and I have no idea of who those decorations belong(ed) to but this must have been an exceptional warrior with extended frontline presence.

EZW8LGwXsAEKTJ0.jpg

Some weeks ago I was explaining in this thread the principles of "citations" on the Croix de Guerre and Croix de la Valeur Militaire.
Here is a superb example of a highly decorated Indochina (7 citations) and Algeria (11 citations) veteran who was WIA 4 times. I found the picture on the Internet and I have no idea of who those decorations belong(ed) to but this must have been an exceptional warrior with extended frontline presence.

View attachment 478265
The separate orange ribboned star is the Moroccan "Ordre du Ouissam Alaouite". The Moroccan equivalent to the "Legion d'Honneur".

Could it be a Morrocan soldier or a French soldier* serving in a unit recruited from Morocco before its independence?

*The first medal is the "Medaille Militaire" awarded for bravery to non-commissioned personnel.

Orders such as the Ouissam Alaouite, Nichan Iftikhar (Tunisia) or Million d'Éléphants et du Parasol blanc (Laos) were quite regularly awarded to officers with a bright colonial career in those respective areas.

The médaille militaire means the holder either started as an enlisted, or as an "Aspirant" who were not considered as officers but candidate officers and were thus not eligible for the Légion d'honneur in case of an act of bravery early in their careers. A former CO 2°REP got the médaille militaire as an Aspirant with the RMLE during WW2:

1590992751460.png

1590992406102.png

Last edited:

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
No Bastille Day parade this year...a ceremony (2500 pax max approx) will be held at / on, ' la place de Concorde'.…
Social distance rules and all that jazz!

I don't think the MINUSMA has CH-47s left now that the Canadian and Dutch Chinooks are gone.
Besides, you can just make out the RAF roundel on the fuselage. :)

Latest Threads