How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

The 13°DBLE sent a detachment to help train the CAR forces (the FACA, what a name...) from last November. I don't know if the Légionnaires pictured above also belong to "la 13" but those below indeed do.

In the below picture, they run an NCO Cadre ISO the FACA in Bouar, a city where a FACA camp is located. This camp used to be the base of a FRA BG (1X Inf Coy, 1x Arty By, 1X Armd Car Sqdn) from the 50s to the 90s.

It will be good for the younger Légionnaires to be able to tell the old salt that now they know about Bouar which used to be a frequent deployment for the 1er REC and 2°REI for several decades as part of the EFAO (Eléments Français d'Assistance Opérationnel). The Infantry Coy in Bouar was known as the COMOTO (Motorized Infantry Coy)

The 2°REP also used to go in CAR also but they remained in Bangui, the capital, as they had to be close to the airport and the then permanently based C-160 Transall IOT be able to intervene in the region very quickly. The ABN Coy based in Bangui was known as the COMPARA.

1586358349536.png

1586358379015.png

1586358398130.png

1586358422326.png

1586358482313.png

1586358504674.png

The 13°DBLE sent a detachment to help train the CAR forces (the FACA, what a name...) from last November. I don't know if the Légionnaires pictured above also belong to "la 13" but those below indeed do.

In the below picture, they run an NCO Cadre ISO the FACA in Bouar, a city where a FACA camp is located. This camp used to be the base of a FRA BG (1X Inf Coy, 1x Arty By, 1X Armd Car Sqdn) from the 50s to the 90s.

It will be good for the younger Légionnaires to be able to tell the old salt that now they know about Bouar which used to be a frequent deployment for the 1er REC and 2°REI for several decades as part of the EFAO (Eléments Français d'Assistance Opérationnel). The Infantry Coy in Bouar was known as the COMOTO (Motorized Infantry Coy)

The 2°REP also used to go in CAR also but they remained in Bangui, the capital, as they had to be close to the airport and the then permanently based C-160 Transall IOT be able to intervene in the region very quickly. The ABN Coy based in Bangui was known as the COMPARA.
There were exceptions (ref my bold above). When I got posted into 3eme Cie (3rd Coy), 2eme REP in March 1982, they had just come back from a tour in Bouar! They had some great stories as most of the time they had been deployed in the field. After the company deployed on Op Epaulard in Beirut latem that year and a then on tour in Djibouti straddling the end of '82 and the beginning of '83, the next tour was back in RCA/CAR in late '83, this time in Bangui, a tour cut short by deployment (with the rest of the Regiment) on Op Manta in Chad in Jan '84. Then 3rd Coy went on to Djibouti again in summer 1985 and back to Bangui in the Central African Republlic in summer 1986. Such regular overseas rotations were par for the course in 2 REP at the time.

Last edited:
Interview of COL Christophe Passerat de la Chapelle who was CO GT-D Altor (and is the current CO 2°REP) The 2°REP has recently returned from Mali.

The interview confirms that the REP was deployed for 2 months away from a permanent base. The REP was self reliant for its LOG issues or was replenished through heavy drops.

Not sure which of the Legion units recently deployed on Op Barkhane this is, but the photo is a good demonstration of the sort of conditions encountered:
1586426475850.png

Symbology plays a great part in the Legion's esprit de corps and units will go to great lengths to impose their stamp on their surroundings:
1586426660340.png

The currently deployed FFL units are 1er REC, 1er REG and 2°REI.

2°REP has just returned to Calvi.
Yes. It’s deployment was a special additional troop boost, to the current tour rotation mainly of troops from the 6 BLB (Light Armoured Brigade) to which the three aforementioned Legion Regiments belong. When the 11 BP (Parachute Brigade) next deploys, it is most likely that a 2 REP “Altor” Battle Group will again be sent.

At present, it is pretty much guaranteed. But lots can change in the space of a year. Even if Combat Ops were to dry up, there are always rotational company tours to various places such as:
French Guyana (as well as having 3 REI permanently based there)​
Mayotte (as well as having DLEM permanently based there)​
Djibouti​
Gabon​
New Caledonia​
Abu Dhabi​
And maybe (less likely as the French Marine Infantry units tend to get these):
The French Antilles​
La Reunion​
Tahiti​
And depending on local arrangements:
Senegal​
Ivory Coast​
Central African Republic​
Ongoing UN Deployment (rare as rotated through most deployable French Army units):
Lebanon (FINUL)​
Ongoing NATO Deployment (rare as rotated through most deployable French Army units):
Estonia​
I may have missed one or two. :cool:
For 2REP Mayotte was unheard of until last year when 2Cie went. Guyana you usually have to volunteer for (usually have light vehicle and truck license), rare for a company deployment but also 4th company’s level 2 stage fôret is over there. Djibouti, Martinique, Réunion, French Polynesia and Senegal are unheard of right now for 2REP, only the other regiments seem to be getting on these deployments. Estonia is still a new deployment so don’t know if that’s something to see in the future and Lebanon...well after all of the stories from @Condottiere it’s no surprise 2REP hasn’t been back there since ;)

Yes NC is quite popular, 3Cie and 2Cie went in the last 2 years and there will be a tour this year as well. Before I joined there were quite a few tours to Abu Dhabi from what I heard
Yes and if you are lucky to be there during the "Croix du sud" exercise with all the armed forces in the region, I think it is sometimes possible to jump with the Australians

1586444605338.png

Last edited:
Yes and if you are lucky to be there during the "Croix du sud" exercise with all the armed forces in the region, I think it is sometimes possible to jump with the Australians
Exactly, I think the 2nd did that, and then they did some improvised tour to NZ for a few weeks and climbed the mountains there (for those who don’t know 2nd company’s speciality is mountains)

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
It seems to me that the French MoD is simply better at PR than its UK equivalent - and that genpop perhaps has a greater interest in what the Armed Forces are up to than here.

You can spend a long time trying to find up-to-date non-posed imagery of UK forces going about their business in dodgy places and when you do find it, it's obvious that cooperation from the units and troops involved was probably quite grudging.

This is still a hugely interesting thread and it's highly informative.

Quick question.- the French General de Brigade who's 2i/c of the EU waste of time in the CAR - I assume from his beret colour he's an ancien of 1er RPIMa, what with their snazzy new hats and all.

While a battle group from 2 REP is deployed in Niger on Op Barkhane, the Regiment's 1st Company is scheduled to depart on a routine rotational tour in New Caledonia. In preparation it has been sampling the joys of the amphibious obstacle course in Calvi Bay (water temp a balmy 14 C) :
View attachment 456022
View attachment 456023
View attachment 456024
View attachment 457012
(Nice view of 3rd Company's Amphibious Training Centre by the Figarella Creek in the background of this pic.)

Pictures from the 2 REP official Twitter feed and official Facebook page.
The nationalities in this picture are telling for 2REP and the legion in general. The first picture has 2 Nepalese, a Brazilian and a Mongolian. The third has a Nepalese, a Belorussian and a Moldovan. Apart from the Mongolian (although there are a few) this is a very typical set of nationalities within a company.

Actually he is a former CO of the 1er RHP, that is airborne Hussars.

You can see the "Hungarian knot" under his two stars. All Hussars unit wear that on their berets (red for 1er RHP, light brown for 2°RH, navy blue for 3°RH).

1586445078112.png

1586445155996.png

It seems to me that the French MoD is simply better at PR than its UK equivalent - and that genpop perhaps has a greater interest in what the Armed Forces are up to than here.

You can spend a long time trying to find up-to-date non-posed imagery of UK forces going about their business in dodgy places and when you do find it, it's obvious that cooperation from the units and troops involved was probably quite grudging.

This is still a hugely interesting thread and it's highly informative.

Quick question.- the French General de Brigade who's 2i/c of the EU waste of time in the CAR - I assume from his beret colour he's an ancien of 1er RPIMa, what with their snazzy new hats and all.
Maybe this is a leftover of the OPSEC habits that were learnt the hard way during Op Banner ?

Then if it can reassure you, there is always the "grass is greener" effect; countless French officers/NCOs/ORs look at the British forces thinking "if only"....

;-)

Latest Threads