How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

Legion in this NYT article, but no specifics.

The named colonel is the CO of 1 REC, so at least some of the pics should be of GTD (Desert Battle Group) Centurion. A reasonable enough article, given it's the NYT. Very superficial skimming and much opinion with little if any analysis. Some nice pics though. I particularly like this one:
1585515068729.png

Which any grunt will be very familiar with.

What cannot be contested is that Op Barkhane is only a temporary fix. It is keeping the bad guys in check, in theory to give the local Governments of Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger time to deal with the situation themselves.

The problem, like in many other places, is that those governments are not really serious about solving the issues that the terrorists are thriving on that are all non military and always revolve around bad governance.

There is very little appetite in those regions to become a jihadist; the jihadists leaders almost always come from afar and they exploit local grievances, such as the brutality of one ethnic group over another to further their aims.

The way the Fulanis are being used as cannon fodder by jihadist leaders exploiting the nomadic/sedentary divide is particularly telling; the aim of the jihadist is to exploit the so-called "Fulani crescent" to cause a transnational jihadi insurgency in the region.

Heartbreaklane

War Hero
The named colonel is the CO of 1 REC, so at least some of the pics should be of GTD (Desert Battle Group) Centurion. A reasonable enough article, given it's the NYT. Very superficial skimming and much opinion with little if any analysis. Some nice pics though. I particularly like this one:
View attachment 461005
Agreed, awesome pic, worthy of the late Tim Hetherington.

A quick report from British Pathé news on the Op in Bizerte in 1961 a rather forgotten Op today.

France and Tunisia had an agreement to return the French base of Bizerte to Tunisia. Tunisia's Pdt, Bourguiba, tried to use the general climate of decolonization to rush things, and first blockaded the base, then started shooting at French planes that were landing on it and attacking directly the various accesses to the base.

Pdt de Gaulle decided this was not acceptable and authorized a military Op to release the pressure on the base. It was mostly carried out by the 2° RPIMa (which jumped on the base itself) and then 3°RPIMa (they TALOd on the base) but the 3°REI did an amphibious landing with other mechanized regular French forces.

Interestingly, most of the 2°RPIMa paratroopers were draftees; to get a combat jump as well as active service in the duration of your military service (it was 28 months then) is rather unusual !

The combat Ops lasted for three days. The blockade of the base was lifted by force, Tunisian forces suffering between 600 and 900 KIA, French forces losing 24 KIA.

29 Nord 2501 Noratlas took part in the Op

1585574975112.png

Last edited:
There were two main waves of Hungarian recruits to the Legion; the first due to adverse conditions and the imposition of Communist rule post WW2 and the second after the brutal crushing of the anti-Communist Hungarian revolution in 1956. Hungarian Legionnaires believed that they were striking back at the malign influence of Moscow by fighting against their proxies in both Indochina and Algeria.
A 2018 report by an Hungarian historian on the 3,000 Hungarians who joined the FFL after 1956. It's in French and Hungarian. Towards the end, it's possible to see the ground training for Légionnaires newly posted to the 2°REP as well as a jump.

A 2018 report by an Hungarian historian on the 3,000 Hungarians who joined the FFL after 1956. It's in French and Hungarian. Towards the end, it's possible to see the ground training for Légionnaires newly posted to the 2°REP as well as a jump.

Says video unavailable ☹️

Some more pictures of Op Monclar recently conducted by Barkhane in the Gourma area Mali; here, Légionnaires from the 2°REI are lifted by NH-90 Caïman of the ALAT (FRA Army Air Corps).

2020_tleg_005_006_a_078.jpg

2020_tleg_005_006_a_087.jpg
2020_tleg_005_006_a_021.jpg
2020_tleg_005_006_a_096.jpg

A 13 mn long report by the French army's information service on the FMSB (in English MNF) mission in Beirut in August-September 1982 which was spearheaded by the 2°REP. I can't guarantee it has not already been posted but I can't recall seeing it on this thread.

Of note, the strictly regulation uniform worn by all, with the canteen and pouches places exactly in the same way for everybody (luckily no longer the case now), the moustaches worn by the troop the marine to try and look a bit older, the 17 RGP (ABN Engineer) and the convoy caught in a cross fire between a leftist Lebanese group and the Lebanese army resulting in a truc filled with 2 tons of HE blowing up.
1982 was also the time when there was enough money in the French forces to lift a 1950s vintage Hotchkiss Jeep with a Super Frelon...
Of note, the LTN leading the 17 RGP mine clearing party was to become the regimental CDR exactly 20 years later
1585662166054.png

Last edited:
View attachment 461005
Yer man's primarily a photographer, who moved into the writing bit. It shows with his pictures.

A 13 mn long report by the French army's information service on the FMSB (in English MNF) mission in Beirut in August-September 1982 which was spearheaded by the 2°REP. I can't guarantee it has not already been posted but I can't recall seeing it on this thread.

Of note, the strictly regulation uniform worn by all, with the canteen and pouches places exactly in the same way for everybody (luckily no longer the case now), the moustaches worn by the troop the marine to try and look a bit older, the 17 RGP (ABN Engineer) and the convoy caught in a cross fire between a leftist Lebanese group and the Lebanese army resulting in a truc filled with 2 tons of HE blowing up.
1982 was also the time when there was enough money in the French forces to lift a 1950s vintage Hotchkiss Jeep with a Super Frelon...
Of note, the LTN leading the 17 RGP mine clearing party was to become the regimental CDR exactly 20 years later
View attachment 461391
Thanks @fantassin . I've seen this before.

There are some 2 REP stories from that operation that are unlikely to see the light of day. But we were patrolling constantly night and day, controlling our zone of the interposition line between the combattants and we were ordered to respond aggressively if attacked by any of the various combatant formations present in the area. There were several "accrochages".

The Israeli troops were pushing their luck and from what we saw they were supremely (and unjustifiably) overconfident and arrogant. On the other side of the coin (and I've mentioned this before) some of the Palestinian defensive positions, that I saw first hand, were brilliantly arranged. and would have caused the Israelis immense casualties. Perfect use of urban infrastructure.

1585691035682.png

Two Third Company colleagues (a French "Caporal Chef" M. and Tahitian “Sergent" H., both of them decent blokes) on top of a building in Beirut. If I recall correctly this concrete apartment block (or one like it) was a former PLO position that covered a cross roads and it had been reinforced by sandbagging the walls to a depth of several metres and sandbagging the top two floors. It had angled board-lined firing points through the sandbagged walls for individual and crew served weapons covering all angles of approach and its basement levels contained a fresh water cistern, food and ammo stores as well as a (separate) latrine area.

One apocryphal story which has been told and I think is quite likely true, is this: When 2 REP was the first to arrive in Beirut Port on the "DIves" Landing Ship it was supposed to disembark in a neutral zone already controlled by the Lebanese Army; but the Israeli Army was occupying it (as mentioned in the film) and refused to budge. We disembarked onto a limited area and our Commanding Officer, Colonel Janvier went to an Israeli Jeep observing the situation and spoke to an Israeli Officer, basically telling him to "F-Off out of the port area." The Israeli insouciantly told him that their orders were to stay and to secure the port for the French and he would not move without further orders from his superiors. Our CO, looking at his watch then said "It is now "hh.mm" hours, you have fifteen minutes to get out of the port. If you are not gone by then we will open fire on you." The Israeli remonstrated. Our CO then looked at his watch again and said "You have fourteen minutes and forty-five seconds remaining." He then turned about, walking back to his unit. The Israeli troops were gone within ten minutes. But the movie clip states that the French Ambassador negotiated them away.

Last edited:
A film on close air support delivered by FAF F-100 Super Sabre during an exercise in Djibouti in the 1970.

20 mm cannon, rockets and "special tanks" (French Air Force speak for napalm) are used.

The F-100 was the last US fighter bomber used by the FAF. It was withdrawn from use by the FAF in 1978. The last FAF unit to use the F100D/F was Escadron de chasse 4/11 Jura based in Djibouti.

And another film on the FAF Super Sabre in Djibouti

1585744167869.png

1585744203324.png

Last edited:
Tailplane insignia from the second clip.
1585745143371.png

Looks like a bit of a gash shot! :)

Yes, probably part of a Détachement d'Intervention Héliporté (a mix of H-21 or S-58 plus S-58 gunship with MG 151 20 mm cannon one and Alouette II as flying CP).

Col Jeanpierre, CO 1er REP, was KIA in such an Alouette II.

Check that thread for more infos and pics on French helicopters during the war in Algeria:

Helicopter warfare books?
A film with a S-58 Aéronavale helicopter armed with a MG-151 20 mm side firing cannon. This was the main gunship used by the FRA Navy and AF during the conflicts in Algeria and Chad in the 60s and 70s. The film shows the cannon used in training.

The same cannon, license-built by MATRA, was used on Rhodesian K-car Alouette III and accounted for a large part of the Fire Force body counts.