How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

The Regimental G3 Ops Staff ("Bureau Operation Instruction" or BOI) took a break from their HQ offices for a live firing exercise on the Punta Bianca peninsula training area and range with insertion by Zodiac.
1564670487798.png

1564670539359.png

1564670588568.png

1564670640983.png

1564670696745.png

1564670739242.png

All pics from the 2 REP official Facebook page

All Legion combat units are fully integrated into the French Army structure and all are part of larger formations. 2 REP is one of the airborne regiments comprising the French 11th Parachute Brigade or 11 BP. A new Brigade Commander has just been appointed:
1564671281201.png

1564671209332.png

A Para-Cavalier who commanded the 1 RHP (Premier Regiment de Hussards Parachutistes) in 2010-12, having previously been a troop (including the regimental GCP troop) and squadron commander therein, in between other appontments.

NOTE: In the French rank system two stars denotes a Brigadier General. There is no one star rank badge, general officer ranks start with two stars. This tends to confuse the Americans.

General Thierry Burkhard, the recently appointed French CEMAT or Chief of the Army General Staff has issued his first general order - nothing new, but emphasising operations both internal and external and the drive towards modernisation of the Army with more emphasis on the high intensity end of the warfare spectrum. It was accompanied by two official pictures one with the background of three flags: those of France, Nato and the EU and the other chatting to French troops deployed on the internal security Operation Sentinelle, proudly wearing his Legion beret.
1564672549051.png

Note the "Chuteur Ops" (operational free-fall) wings with the five small stars under the rigging lines.
1564672522991.png

Last edited:

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Do French officers who've served with the Legion still wear a Legion button as their top tunic fasterner? I remember a Colonel from Rhin et Danube back in the day, 1988 or thereabouts, who proudly did this.

Come to that, what's that weird multi-shiny button waistcoat thing you see some French officers wear under their service dress tunics?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Why is it, I wonder, that senior French combat arms officers all seem to be carved from solid teak and built like racing snakes?

Do French officers who've served with the Legion still wear a Legion button as their top tunic fasterner? I remember a Colonel from Rhin et Danube back in the day, 1988 or thereabouts, who proudly did this.

Come to that, what's that weird multi-shiny button waistcoat thing you see some French officers wear under their service dress tunics?
In answer to your first point, I believe that it is a traditional personal affectation that is accepted/tolerated.

As for the second, officers waistcoats come in different colours (and varying number of buttons for different arms of service. For the Legion it is (Legion) green and fifteen buttons. Waistcoats are worn with the French equivalent of Service Dress and are theoretically optional. I believe that they are private purchase items and thus are retained after leaving service. They are sometimes also seen worn under the blue blazer of officer members of Foreign Legion (Veterans) Associations.
1564691489278.png

1564691544660.png

1564691627956.png
1564691649083.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
Not 2 REP taking part in this, but a nice video of French Paras from 11 BP and UK Paras from 16 AA Bde on exercise together:

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
In answer to your first point, I believe that it is a traditional personal affectation that is accepted/tolerated.

As for the second, officers waistcoats come in different colours (and varying number of buttons for different arms of service. For the Legion it is (Legion) green and fifteen buttons. Waistcoats are worn with the French equivalent of Service Dress and are theoretically optional. I believe that they are private purchase items and thus are retained after leaving service. They are sometimes also seen worn under the blue blazer of officer members of Foreign Legion (Veterans) Associations.
View attachment 408193
View attachment 408194
View attachment 408195 View attachment 408196
Exactly the information itch I needed scratching - thanks very much.

Saw this and have a question:

Question: Is what appears to be a significant monthly pay difference in 13 DBLE due to them being overseas? I am assuming personnel are posted to 13 DBLE and will return to 2 REP, or REI on completion of a tour.

Saw this and have a question:

Question: Is what appears to be a significant monthly pay difference in 13 DBLE due to them being overseas? I am assuming personnel are posted to 13 DBLE and will return to 2 REP, or REI on completion of a tour.
Let me answer your question first. The permanently overseas based Legion units (now only two - 3 REI and DLEM) have a proportion of volunteer personnel individually trickle posted in for two years coming from various France based Legion regiments. These units themselves also host whole companies/squadrons rotationally posted in every four months from France based regiments. Since the professionalisation of the French Army, any appropriate to arm sub-units from any regiment (not necessarily Legion) may be rotated to overseas bases. This also applies to Legion sub-units being attached to non-Legion overseas based regiments. When 13 DBLE was based in Djibouti (up to 2011), it warranted the highest pay scale due to climatic conditions. Legion sub-units rotating through 5 RIAOM, the French "Troupes de Marine" regiment which remained in Djibouti still get that elevated pay.

Secondly, never take anything for granted that is found on websites with namesd like "special-ops.org".
Dead giveaways are: lots of typos; what appear to be Serbo-Croat words instead of French; blatant falsehoods (e.g 45 days leave p/a from first year* - unless it changed recently); etc. Also note the date of the article (2013). So, well out of date.

It states that it refers to official French statistics - French Army (including Foreign Legion) rank-ranged salary levels were previously available online on official webpages. I can't seem to find anything like that anymore. The Legion recruiting webpage states that starting salary is EUR 1280 p/m. The French Army recruiting website states that an EVAT ("engage volontaire armee de terre") i.e. a bog standard recruit currently earns EUR 1,315.38 p/m (net) and an employment website run by the French education ministry gives a starting salary level of EUR 1,521 p/m (gross) which seems to tally with the previous net figure.

The Foreign Legion Info unofficial website, (which is generally quite good), gives the following table caveating that this was as at 2010:

1564777847509.png

When I was in we weren't taxed until we were "rectified" (got our civilian status back - usually towards the end/at the end of the first five years). It appears that all Legionnaires are taxed now. In addition, then (1980's), you only needed to do 15 years to get an immediately payable pension from the minimum age of 35.

* As regards the 45 days (nine weeks) paid annual leave, this is the case in the French Regulars, but when I was in we were permitted 10 days in the first year, 15 days in the second, 30 days in the third and only subsequently the full 45 days (weekends and public holidays added). In addition there was always post overseas tour leave of two to three weeks. I believe that this is still the case now, but if any currently serving legionnaires can confirm I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
@Condottiere , telling me not to believe a man on the internet!

[victor meldrew] I don’t believe it. [\victor meldrew]

Thank you sir, a most informative post.:)

@Condottiere , telling me not to believe a man on the internet!

[victor meldrew] I don’t believe it. [\victor meldrew]

Thank you sir, a most informative post.:)
Apologies for the inference to you. I essentially meant it for everyone reading the post.
I personally hazard a guess that the Legion does not draw attention to its pay scales on its recruiting website as it does not want people making the decision to join primarily for pecunious reasons.

Does the French army still have pay increments per child for foreign accompanied postings? Do some in the legion benefit from this?
IIRC this was as a result of official policy to fill a demographic gap post Verdun

Does the French army still have pay increments per child for foreign accompanied postings? Do some in the legion benefit from this?
IIRC this was as a result of official policy to fill a demographic gap post Verdun
Afaik, I believe so, yes, but in the form of allowances/tax breaks. The same rules apply as for the Regulars once one is a rectified Sergent or Caporal-Chef after the initial five year contract. More to do with the cost of living rather than demographics these days.

Latest Threads