How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

A 90 minute video in French on 11th Airborne Brigade, including unique footage on 2 REP GCPs in Mali as well as the jump on Menaka.

Last edited:
Very informative - the last 5 minutes was confusing for me though.
:) Looks like YouTube got its wires crossed and from 1.17'50" or thereabouts you have some dozy Asian bint doing a selfie video while fiddling with her hair and eating. :)
Ignore.

A 90 minute video in French on 11th Airborne Brigade, including unique footage on 2 REP GCPs in Mali as well as the jump on Menaka.
Interesting, just watched it. All the Op. BARKHANE Mali operational footage is concentrating on the ALTOR Battle Group in 2018 which was majority 2 REP. It does also show some Regular French Paras from the 17 RGP - 17th Para Engr Regt. The non-operational footage concentrates on French Regular Paras.

At about 36'00" in, the video states that all French Paras do their intial parachute training at ETAP in Pau. This is wrong. All Legion Paras do their initial parachute training at 2 REP's base camp, Camp Raffalli in Calvi, Corsica..

From about 1.10'30" the clip diverts to covering French SF troops as a hommage to the two that were recently KIA on Op. BARKHANE.

Hooray - I finally got to watch the video (on Opera with VPN enabled in the advanced settings). All it took was a good night's sleep, a clear head, and a mountain of help from my fellow ArRSers. Many thanks to all <3
Any opinions on the programme?

Any opinions on the programme?
A bit of a mish-mash; with a mix of operational jumps, basic para training, hostage-rescue techniques etcetera. It was like three different documentaries rolled into one. Imho, the programme makers were deliberately confusing the GCP with the 11e DP in order to produce a more sensational documentary, and capitalise on the recent deaths of the Commandos de Marine. However, when viewed through a cynical lens, the programme does a very good job of answering the question posed by the OP.

Nice video. Have to say I liked the girl at the end but I don't think she will last that long in the legion!

Condettorrie a question
It seems to me that the REP is a lot better trained and organised than it was back in the day.
Is this because that French military has moved on and become more professional. And or is it because of the number of small wars they have been fighting - which tends to stop the promotion of the people good at being a 'BS merchant' - of whatever rank?

Nice video. Have to say I liked the girl at the end but I don't think she will last that long in the legion!

Condettorrie a question
It seems to me that the REP is a lot better trained and organised than it was back in the day.
Is this because that French military has moved on and become more professional. And or is it because of the number of small wars they have been fighting - which tends to stop the promotion of the people good at being a 'BS merchant' - of whatever rank?
I think that you have probably answered your own question.
I believe that French exposure in Afghanistan to allied nation practices and capabilities played a huge part.
Though there will always be some knobbers promoted.

A bit of a mish-mash; with a mix of operational jumps, basic para training, hostage-rescue techniques etcetera. It was like three different documentaries rolled into one. Imho, the programme makers were deliberately confusing the GCP with the 11e DP in order to produce a more sensational documentary, and capitalise on the recent deaths of the Commandos de Marine. However, when viewed through a cynical lens, the programme does a very good job of answering the question posed by the OP.
One of the very noticeable factors is that the feeding arrangements at the Forward Operating Bases are very different in style to US and even UK practices and show how much the logistical tail can be pared away. Maximum living off local produce and the local supply chain. Cooking and feeding decentralised down to Platoon level.

1558803964324.png

CEFE French Guyana, endex

Last edited:
CEFE 2015

Only extremely tangentially connected to 2 REP. The Legion's 3 REI runs all the French military jungle courses in French Guyana.

This clip is a report by a French journalist attached to a course run for aspiring combat arms officers as part of their officer training and it includes women, who are expected to do the same as the men. It is not a jungle warfare course, more an endurance/ survival/ leadership skills course.

The main instructor featured is a bit of a beast, a German Sergent-Chef (S/C) called Reinhardt, whose French is very good and almost accentless and who is described as having joined the Legion at the age of twenty, thirteen years previously and having served in Calvi (i.e. at 2 REP) and in Djibouti (i.e presumabl at 13 DBLE when they were there, so pre-2011)