How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

BBC News - The elite soldiers protecting the Amazon rainforest
The soldiers who protect a rainforest

No mention of Ariane protection or why the French have a Military unit in South America, just good ecological rainforest warrior stuff...
Judging by what the General Officer Commanding the French Foreign Legion said earlier this year (about adding to the opportunities that Legionnaires have for longer postings in overseas based locations), I have a feeling that 3 REI's permanent component is likely to be increased.

Last edited:
In a link, the Foreign Legion Facebook Page pays its respect to Two French "Commandos de Marine" (The Naval component of the French Special Forces - equivalent of UK SBS) who were killled during a hostage rescue mission in Burkina Faso which reportedly liberated two French, one US and one South Korean national, all being held by Jihadi terrorists.
La Légion étrangère rend hommage à ses deux frères d'armes de la Marine Nationale, morts au combat dans une opération interarmées au Burkina Faso.

The BBC reports the story here:
French free hostages in Burkina Faso

46 minute tutorial on jungle skills in French (setting-up a basha/hammock, fire starting and general advice) by CEFE staff (3REI - French Guyana)

@Egg Banjo and @LepetitCaporal were you present at this today?

Nice to see Steve the piper has recovered. He was unable to play at the charity MLE concert I attended last month. Something to do with messing up his hand and St Patrick's Day :)

Yes, I was there. Kind of obliged seeing as I was there when 31°Brigade became 6°DLB (then 6°BLB) back in the day.

I mentioned before that 2 REP has its own Parachute Packing and Maintenance Platoon or SEPP (Section d'Entretien et Pliage des parachutes). The Regimental Twitter feed posted some pics:
1557780342677.png

1557780394059.png

1557780423825.png

This helps contribute to the elevated tempo of jump training that Legion Paras keep up. It can also immediately supply the right number and type of parachutes and containers for any emergency deployment scenario.

Not 2 REP related, but concerning this year's recent Camerone celebrations: An element of 3 REI was recently in Mexico on a training exchange with Mexican Special Forces. To celebrate the anniversary of the Battle of Camerone, they paraded on 30 April at the site of the battle, where a monument has been elevated:
1557780964000.png

I mentioned before that 2 REP has its own Parachute Packing and Maintenance Platoon or SEPP (Section d'Entretien et Pliage des parachutes). The Regimental Twitter feed posted some pics:
View attachment 392890
View attachment 392891
View attachment 392892
This helps contribute to the elevated tempo of jump training that Legion Paras keep up. It can also immediately supply the right number and type of parachutes and containers for any emergency deployment scenario.
So would these guys be involved in the PJI type roles as well? Seems like a natural progression - i think you mentioned they are all reptiles too.

On the down side, i could see it being a dull assignment for these lads - as active as they like being!

So would these guys be involved in the PJI type roles as well? Seems like a natural progression - i think you mentioned they are all reptiles too.

On the down side, i could see it being a dull assignment for these lads - as active as they like being!
No, they are not usually associated. The SEPP men get additional pay and other perks and used to be rotated in and out of the "Compagnies de Combat" from where they originally came.
Edited to add: And I assume that this is still the case.

Last edited:

The Adjudant Ferria Victor was my ex chef de groupe Milan, 1 st company 2 REI in 91
Good guy
Ridiclous matricule none the less. ..171and poussière somit
Went on to REP
Was a couple of ex REP in my group
Tupai (tahitienne now dcd)
Berry, english (légion name but since rectified, of course)
Our Capatin at the time.
Toulain was from REP
Resigned his commission
Went on to work for Cartier (jewlrey) anti imitation squad
Gave me 7 day's taule for walking on a carpet reserved for Cadres

View attachment 392890
View attachment 392891
View attachment 392892
Pau remains the Parachutists Académie, but. ...
In recent years (budget and cut backs obliged)
Each para regiment has it's own budget to train it's wannabes. ..
And as per usual, at times with abuse and corruption
See 17 RGP Montauban and 3 RPIMA Carcassonne
50 kms seperate the 2
If the government dose not give the budget. ...rest assured the Colonel will find it
It's always been like this and always will be
Post Shitum : the 17 was previously based at Sarrebourg (remplaced by the 1 st Regiment d ' Infanterie (ex Lille)

Yes, I was there. Kind of obliged seeing as I was there when 31°Brigade became 6°DLB (then 6°BLB) back in the day.
Aye, it was our anniversaire and even with the new matos it was hard to forget
Been here from the start
Jeeze
Nostalgie is just not like it used to be
Post Shitum :
Son passed his army exams in Bordeaux
R.A.S.
Still waiting for the call up
In the mean time, he is renovating an auld Castle near the 13 DBLE
He is the only one on a long terme contract = due to his diplômes
Gets paid more than the others
Still costs me a fortune
Macron too
Up until May 2017 and for the 10 years previously, i was on 1800 € per month
Suddenly i was cut back - 400 €
No notification or what so ever
There is just me and my laddie
We have nowt else
Woe is me without I.D. many might think
I just ignore the fuds

Judging by what the General Officer Commanding the French Foreign Legion said earlier this year (about adding to the opportunities that Legionnaires have for longer postings in overseas based locations), I have a feeling that 3 REI's permanent component is likely to be increased.
ESA has a programme to build rockets in serie. ..cheaper of course
But not just that
Lots of laid off workers from the agency
It's far too uncompetive. ..compared to Russia and the likes (soon to be Scotland too)
Micro satellites is the norm
With out the European Space Agency the 3 REI has no reason for dwelling, imo
Better off here in the Métropole and put to better use (Barkhane for 1)

My guess

My guess would have been Franglais - based on Monsier/Mr @lepetitecaporal
You said it squire
No kids = travel light and forget the burdens
English i learnt with the leather belt (Scotland's coporal punishment for them who misbehave at school).Usually the hands but had recieved on a couple of occasions on the head, back and legs. ..
And they dared call me disruptive
Birch or Cane on the buttocks in England?
Am a Scottish tinker btw
We do not speak like you's
We do not behave like you's
We are not like you's
Merci beaucoup
Did list school at 14 and at my majority (16 in Scotland)
Left Britania to join the Legion
Didn't work because of the age
Re represented myself at 18 and the rest is history
Speak and write a bit of english and french too. ..only because red tape me obliges. .
Sinon, i just shut ma gub
Less said = less heard
It's a way of life, Ged

Last edited:
You said it squire
No kids = travel light and forget the burdens
English i learnt with the leather belt (Scotland's coporal punishment for them who misbehave at school).Usually the hands but had recieved on a couple of occasions on the head, back and legs. ..
And they dared call me disruptive
Birch or Cane on the buttocks in England?
Am a Scottish tinker btw
We do not speak like you's
We do not behave like you's
We are not like you's
Merci beaucoup
Did list school at 14 and at my majority (16 in Scotland)
Left Britania to join the Legion
Didn't work because of the age
Re represented myself at 18 and the rest is history
Speak and write a bit of english and french too. ..only because red tape me obliges. .
Sinon, i just shut ma gub
Less said = less heard
It's a way of life, Ged
You're back!

From the 2 REP official Facebook page, a taster clip from a new French TV programme aboiut the 11th Para Brigade, showing elements of 2 REP undertaking what appears to be a training jump:

Interestingly they are wearing desert cam and the badge of "GTIA ALTOR 2018". GTIA stands for "Groupement Tactique Inter-Armes" and is used to denote a battle-group sized unit. 2 REP has been using the ALTOR name for operationally deployed airrborne GTIA's based around a 2 REP HQ element and majority 2 REP manning. In 2018 this was a Op BARKHANE deployment to the Sahel region. So this jump is taking place during an operational deployment.

Also note that two aeroplanes are dropping from 300m (under 1000 feet) a container and 40 troops per plane and they have a window of 39 seconds in which to do it.

Edited to add: Now that I've seen the whole TV programme from which this was excerpted, the jump was actually an Op Drop at Menaka, not a training jump.

Last edited:
From the 2 REP official Facebook page, a taster clip from a new French TV programme aboiut the 11th Para Brigade, showing elements of 2 REP undertaking what appears to be a training jump:

Interestingly they are wearing desert cam and the badge of "GTIA ALTOR 2018". GTIA stands for "Groupement Tactique Inter-Armes" and is used to denote a battle-group sized unit. 2 REP has been using the ALTOR name for operationally deployed airrborne GTIA's based around a 2 REP HQ element and majority 2 REP manning. In 2018 this was a Op BARKHANE deployment to the Sahel region. So this jump is taking place during an operational deployment.

Also note that two aeroplanes are dropping from 300m (under 1000 feet) a container and 40 troops per plane and they have a window of 39 seconds in which to do it.

Here is an additional short video from the same TV programme showing a group of GCPs (Pathfinders) training for CQB. I have a feeling that the video was shot around september last year, and is related to the REP's jump on Menaka Mali.

VIDÉO - "Enquête exclusive" sur la 11e brigade parachutiste : découvrez un extrait

Mali: More than 100 French troops parachute into Menaka

Here is an additional short video from the same TV programme showing a group of GCPs (Pathfinders) training for CQB. I have a feeling that the video was shot around september last year, and is related to the REP's jump on Menaka Mali.

VIDÉO - "Enquête exclusive" sur la 11e brigade parachutiste : découvrez un extrait

Mali: More than 100 French troops parachute into Menaka
It's showing men from 2 REP's GCP as the thick accent on the bloke really rules out him being French! :)

1558378206298.png

Gratuitous pic of a training jump on the DZ behind Camp Raffalli. :)

Latest Threads