How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

A curious but assuredly an honest question. Do you gents converse in English or French at your UK meets?
It's far more natural to speak in your primary language, though we can break into French. We also have several French members in the British Association. On parade the commands are in French and the "Recit de Camerone" is "bien sur" in French.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It's far more natural to speak in your primary language, though we can break into French. We also have several French members in the British Association. On parade the commands are in French and the "Recit de Camerone" is "bien sur" in French.
First language is always easiest, though I sometimes find myself using words from other languages that either fit better or indeed I've temporarily misplaced the first language word.

And as to "mother tongue..."
I've a fair idea where of my mother's went, and I've no intention of replicating that.

My guess
My guess would have been Franglais - based on Monsier/Mr @lepetitecaporal

The local paper "Corse Matin" reports on 2 REP's Camerone 2019 celebrations:
Un 2e Rep presque au complet pour célébrer Camerone à Calvi
1557309112595.png

For the first time in several years, the Regiment was present almost in its totality with all sub-units back from operations and rotational tours abroad. Some will be departing on Ops again in Mali in October.

Last edited:
A company from 13 DBLE celebrated Camerone 2019 in La Reunion (in the southern Indian Ocean), where it is on a rotational tour in support of the resident French unit 2 RPIMa.

A delegation is shown here with representatives of the local French Foreign Legion Association next to a road plaque for a road named after Evariste Berg, a La Reunion native and former (French) Marine Artillery soldier who later joined the Foreign Legion and participated in the Battle of Camerone in 1863.
1557310252223.png

Today is the anniversary of VE Day. Quoting figures from official FFL sources: Over 45,000 Legionnaires fought to help France regain her liberty in WW2 and roughly 20% of these lost their lives.
1557326723649.png

Legionnaires in action.
1557326666257.png

A Legionnaire overlooking a German village in 1945

Detachments from 2 REP paraded at various local Corsican commemorations for the end of WW2.
1557327136780.png

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Today is the anniversary of VE Day. Quoting figures from official FFL sources: Over 45,000 Legionnaires fought to help France regain her liberty in WW2 and roughly 20% of these lost their lives.
Does the LE still hold records of how many fought for the Axis powers or Vichy ?
I've had a squizz round the net but much seems to be popular legend, hearsay or plain fantasy.

Does the LE still hold records of how many fought for the Axis powers or Vichy ?
I've had a squizz round the net but much seems to be popular legend, hearsay or plain fantasy.
Yes it would do.

If I recall correctly, the only regiment of Foreign Legion troops that actually fought for Vichy France was 6 REI which was based in Syria and subsequently disbanded when Syria fell under allied and thus Free French control.

The Foreign Legion must not be confused with either:

The "Legion des Volonaires Francais (LVF) contre le Bolchevisme", a Vichy French fascist unit which later gave rise to the SS Charlemagne Division.

Or:

The "Legion Francaise des Combattants", a Vichy French centralised association of former servicemen.

Both had nothing in common with the "Legion Etrangere".

First language is always easiest, though I sometimes find myself using words from other languages that either fit better or indeed I've temporarily misplaced the first language word.

And as to "mother tongue..."
I've a fair idea where of my mother's went, and I've no intention of replicating that.
Similarly having been initially bought up speaking German with a smattering of Cloggie I find words in those languages that fit situations and descriptions better than english. However, whatever language I am struggling in a find english the most fluent for swearing and hurling abuse.......even americans can't cope with a British level of abuse.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yes it would do.

If I recall correctly, the only regiment of Foreign Legion troops that actually fought for Vichy France was 6 REI which was based in Syria and subsequently disbanded when Syria fell under allied and thus Free French control.

The Foreign Legion must not be confused with either:

The "Legion des Volonaires Francais (LVF) contre le Bolchevisme", a Vichy French fascist unit which later gave rise to the SS Charlemagne Division.

Or:

The "Legion Francaise des Combattants", a Vichy French centralised association of former servicemen.

Both had nothing in common with the "Legion Etrangere".
Thanks.
I was aware of the LVF and LFC and their leanings.
If the latter crop up in talks on WWII I'm always reminded of Asterix.

1557348289380.png

1557428974934.png

As regards the recent celebration of the Battle of Camerone anniversary by the "Amicale des Anciens Legionnaires de Grande Bretagne" or Foreign Legion Association of Great Britain (FLAGB):
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...pare-to-the-british-paras.161040/post-9245140
We were much reduced in number of actual Legion veterans present due to the funeral of one of our long standing members in Aberystwyth on the same day:
1557345216404.png

Over 1,000 turn out to say farewell to Paul

But we were much boosted by many of our valued Associate Members (one of whom also recently passed away and whose funeral had been held the previous day).

1557345784499.png

1557345808847.png

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Was Paul James ex-RM as well as LE and British Army, or were they in attendance because he'd passed AACC ?

Was Paul James ex-RM as well as LE and British Army, or were they in attendance because he'd passed AACC ?
What Royal Marines? Read it and you will have a clue as to what the chaps in uniform in the local press photo are.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
What Royal Marines? Read it and you will have a clue as to what the chaps in uniform in the local press photo are.
Fair one, I'd not thought of Trumpton having a standard bearer.
Though the thought of, "why have they so many axes ?" did fly through my mind.
Just nothing there to catch it.

Mid & West Wales Fire Authority, therefore firemen,....................I assumpt.

First look I thought bootie's too, then I noticed the flag.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Mid & West Wales Fire Authority, therefore firemen,....................I assumpt.

First look I thought bootie's too, then I noticed the flag.
The flag confused me too.
But then so much does.

Like why would an ex-offr claim airborne quals when it's so quickly disproven.

The flag confused me too.
But then so much does.

Like why would an ex-offr claim airborne quals when it's so quickly disproven.
Certainly is nowadays, only takes a quick phonecall.

BBC News - The elite soldiers protecting the Amazon rainforest
The soldiers who protect a rainforest

No mention of Ariane protection or why the French have a Military unit in South America, just good ecological rainforest warrior stuff...

Latest Threads