How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

@Condottiere,

So the former cadre wear the inverted triangle fob and the local Corsicans wear the one with 173e RI?

And who's the guy with the headband and what is the significance of the ram's head?

Cheers,
Dan.
La tête de Nègre (Sarrasin)
All around Corsica, you have stone built watch towers (built by the Gênes ,italiens
Remember, the Méditerranéan was rife with pirates (barbarie coast, Croates, Turks etc

........So the 13 DBLE moved to Larzac ........... Is now a full regiment and might or might not change it's name to the 13 REI. After all, 6 REG became the 1 REG ..........
Unlikely that 13 DBLE would change name to 13 REI. This is because although it was one of the new Foreign Legion units created at the beginning of WW2 it was deliberately called 13 DBLE from the start as opposed to 11 REI and 12 REI, which both fought to the bitter end during the German Offensive in 1940:
11th Foreign Infantry Regiment - Wikipedia
12th Foreign Infantry Regiment - Wikipedia

In 1940, 13 DBLE was involved in the Narvik campaign and so was not in France for the Armistice with the Germans. Subsequently it was one of the first units to rally to the Free French cause under De Gaulle. Therefore it holds a special place in the pantheon of French military units. Hence its survival in an attenuated form after withdrawal from Djibouti and its subsequent rapid resurrection as a full-sized infantry regiment.

@Condottiere, So the former cadre wear the inverted triangle fob and the local Corsicans wear the one with 173e RI? And who's the guy with the headband and what is the significance of the ram's head? Cheers, Dan.
@exspy

No the Sixth Company badge for all company members is the triangular one. I included the old 173rd regimental badge for comparison purposes. Company badges are not normally worn on the uniform, just the regimental badge, so all members of 2 REP's 6th Company will wear the 2 REP regimental badge.

The "moor's head” with the white headband is the symbol of Corsica. The ram's head is of the wild sheep of the Corsican mountains.
1550096393674.png

Last edited:
I have been told and by a reliable source. ..that certain reserves are deployed for, 'Barkhane', probally in domaines / speciality the regiment might be lacking

By the way
A Barkhane is a more or less big / small sand dune frifted by the wind. In a croissant shape and the extrémités are pointed towards the direction the wind is blowing from
Unsuitable for driving over or marching (light and loose)
Yes, former Legionnaire Reservists may volunteer for and deploy as individual augmentees on Operations with the parent regiments of their reserve companies. As far as I know, no non-former Legionnaire Reservist has done so.

The Corsica mountains are an extention of the Alpes. Was attached to the main land before drifting away (like England was attached to main land France. Ireland, south drifted from Portugal)
The G.R. 20 is one of the best grande randonnée trails to do

Adds: the 13 set sail from Liverpool to Narvik, i belive

2 REP, 1 Cie on exercise at the "Camp des Garrigues" near Nimes:

(From the Regimental Twitter Feed)

Last edited:
Members of 2 REP's Second Company (red DZ recognition patches) ready to jump from what appears to be a CASA CN 235 (now made by Airbus):
51076017_385644718904447_3121452899277976158_n.jpg

From the French Foreign Legion facebook page.

2 REP's Fifth Company undergoing mobility training on three platforms:
"Véhicule" de l’Avant Blindé" (VAB), Peugeot P4 and "Petit Véhicule Protégé (PVP)"
52002801_687791284971868_6855667080373469184_o.jpg

52129993_687791434971853_4065425865536700416_o.jpg

52100082_687790991638564_747670462393221120_o.jpg
52382812_687790661638597_8521365104111910912_o.jpg

51896299_687791024971894_306923358019125248_o.jpg

51680014_687791008305229_7481958721849917440_o.jpg

52810373_687790868305243_6201291876109123584_o.jpg
52590410_687791354971861_5115401561018728448_o.jpg
52672992_687791218305208_2904812315020886016_o.jpg

From 2 REP's facebook page.
*Interesting to note a pintle mounted AA-52 machine gun in the first picture; despite it's general replacement by the FN MAG.

Last edited:
2 REP's "Compagnie de Commandement et Logistique" or "CCL" (HQ Company) undergoing live fire training in preparation for a 2 REP led Battle Group being put on "Alerte Guépard" ("Cheetah Alert" - The French Airborne High-Readiness Spearhead Unit):
1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

As airborne ready reserve, the battle-group would be on imminent stand-by to deploy on an interventon operation anywhere in the world, by parachute drop if necessary. Hence all elements including HQ Company ("CCL") could be dropping into a potentially hot DZ.

*Note subdued Captain's rank badge on sleeve of man in foreground in first picture. Companies in the French Army are commanded by Captains. The "CCL" Officer Commanding is usually a Captain who has come up through the ranks (a "Late-Entry Officer" in British parlance).

Personally I think my TA unit would whoop you guys on Cambrian patrol ;)
I refer you to the OP (almost eight years, two hundred and sixty-six pages and 5,311 posts ago):
Just out of curiosity? (I hope this is the right thread for this) And I don't mean this in the "who's got the biggest dick contest", but just in general ............ Any thoughts?
:)

Seen this before. Possibly posted a link ages ago (can’t remember).

Swings and roundabouts really. When a documentary is being made, they have to tone down the rough stuff. A TV programme will never reflect reality, just a simulation of it.

You can’t really compare without actually doing it all over again, so it is a moot question. Things change.

The challenge facing the Legion is the same as any other professional force dependent on volunteers: recruitment and retention. With the millennial generation in advanced societies it has become more difficult for them to accept harsh conditions and personal restrictions.

Note that the Legion now appears to be getting far fewer recruits from such societies.
Missed this first time around, two observations resulting from comments made to me and heard in presentation:

1. The Big Chief of the boxhead KSK has publicly stated many times: "The selection process we put candidates through is as hard and acceptable as we can make it in a civilised society" - in other words a PC selection to keep Han's mum happy. It is hard, but they also rely on getting into the candidates head and also present members of the regiment knowing and having worked with candidates previously. Those who pass selection are then put through the grinder to make sure they do fit.

2. An older one of THEM I used to bump into regularly told me that when he went through selection he was what was considered fit and suitable at the time. However, the lads coming through nowadays are light years ahead in fitness as there are some serious athletes doing selection and he would never get through based against the standards they present nowadays. Each selection pushes the envelope just a little further every time, upping the standard

From a French military related website:
Armée de terre : La Légion étrangère veut recruter 1.245 volontaires en 2019 - FNCV Infos et Actualités des Combattants Volontaires
An article in French about Legion recruitment and strength.

Some pertinent facts:

The Foreign Legion is now 8,900 strong and makes up 11% of French Army operational forces (77,000 strong).

In 2019 it is foreseen that 1,250 new recruits (out of an estimated 8,000+ candidates) will join the Legion, which is calculated to be 5.7% of the total French Armed Forces recruiting.

Currently francophones (i.e. French-speakers - mostly French nationals) make up 11% of Legion recruits.

The average recruit is 23 years old.

From a French military related website:
Armée de terre : La Légion étrangère veut recruter 1.245 volontaires en 2019 - FNCV Infos et Actualités des Combattants Volontaires
An article in French about Legion recruitment and strength.

Some pertinent facts:

The Foreign Legion is now 8,900 strong and makes up 11% of French Army operational forces (77,000 strong).

In 2019 it is foreseen that 1,250 new recruits (out of an estimated 8,000+ candidates) will join the Legion, which is calculated to be 5.7% of the total French Armed Forces recruiting.

Currently francophones (i.e. French-speakers - mostly French nationals) make up 11% of Legion recruits.

The average recruit is 23 years old.
So basically the FFL are the special forces of the French Army?

So basically the FFL are the special forces of the French Army?
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Not sure where you got that idea from. Any suggestion of that has been completely refuted on this thread.

New gucci kit coming for French SF, would this apply to FFL too?

Photo credit: The Doc (JPW)
You'll find alot of European armies are rolling out new kit these days, I know the German have their own equivalent program which I've poked my nose at, I know the French are replacing the FAMAS (can't remember with what) so I'm guessing the kit will go also be slowly "modernized".

I would think it was about time anyway as CCE camo has been in for decades now,

You'll find alot of European armies are rolling out new kit these days, I know the German have their own equivalent program which I've poked my nose at, I know the French are replacing the FAMAS (can't remember with what) so I'm guessing the kit will go also be slowly "modernized".

I would think it was about time anyway as CCE camo has been in for decades now,
New bondook is the HK416.It's already in service with some units.

Latest Threads