How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

Condi, when you come back ... you really come back!
Thanks for the posts!
Cheers for the compliment, but I myself miss @fantassin and his insightful posts on the French armed forces in general and hope he will be back at some stage.

Cheers for the compliment, but I myself miss @fantassin and his insightful posts on the French armed forces in general and hope he will be back at some stage.
Seconded - he was/is great

Anybody know what became of fantassin? He wasn't the officer arrested for something at a political rally was he?
I doubt that very much :-}

Hi Condottiere
I think we served together in the REP my metrical was 168551 and I was in the 4th when you were in the 3rd. I've enjoyed reading your posts and have sent you a message re my website which has some photos of my time there.
Hi, thanks for the post and the pm. We certainly did.

From the Legion's official website = an overview of Legion overseas deployments in 2018:

Two squadrons of 1 REC have recently returned from a tour on Op Barkhane in the Sahel (Mali/Niger)
A tactical BG HQ and a squadron of 1 REC are deploying to Lebanon.
Other elements of 1 REC deployed/are deploying to the Ivory Coast and New Caledonia,
A company of 1 REG, has recently returned from a rotational tour in Djibouti.
1 REG is also supplying a tactical BG HQ for Op Chammal in Iraq.
1 REG also has other elements on Op Barkhane in the Sahel, in New Caledonia, Senegal, Ivory Coast and Lebanon.
2 REI had a company in Mayotte and has elements in Iraq, Burkina Faso and the UAE.
2 REI will be sending a VBCI mounted company to the Sahel on Op Barkhane in June
2 REI will also be sending a company on a rotational tour in Martinique.
In June 2 REP will relieve 13 DBLE on Op Barkhane in the Sahel with a tactical BG HQ and two companies.
13 DBLE has units on Op Barkhane in the Sahel and a unit in Mayotte.

2 REG was not mentioned but it is in the only combat regiment of the Legion allocated to a different division of the French Army and was heavily involved in overseas deployments in 2017.

Mayotte has experienced a lot of recent problems with illegal immigration and Legion units there (DLEM- permanent and rotational) are involved in operations to counter it.

French Guyana where 3 REI is based also has permanent operations against illegal migrants and illegal gold miners in the jungle.

From the Legion's official website = an overview of Legion overseas deployments in 2018:

Two squadrons of 1 REC have recently returned from a tour on Op Barkhane in the Sahel (Mali/Niger)
A tactical BG HQ and a squadron of 1 REC are deploying to Lebanon.
Other elements of 1 REC deployed/are deploying to the Ivory Coast and New Caledonia,
A company of 1 REG, has recently returned from a rotational tour in Djibouti.
1 REG is also supplying a tactical BG HQ for Op Chammal in Iraq.
1 REG also has other elements on Op Barkhane in the Sahel, in New Caledonia, Senegal, Ivory Coast and Lebanon.
2 REI had a company in Mayotte and has elements in Iraq, Burkina Faso and the UAE.
2 REI will be sending a VBCI mounted company to the Sahel on Op Barkhane in June
2 REI will also be sending a company on a rotational tour in Martinique.
In June 2 REP will relieve 13 DBLE on Op Barkhane in the Sahel with a tactical BG HQ and two companies.
13 DBLE has units on Op Barkhane in the Sahel and a unit in Mayotte.

2 REG was not mentioned but it is in the only combat regiment of the Legion allocated to a different division of the French Army and was heavily involved in overseas deployments in 2017.

Mayotte has experienced a lot of recent problems with illegal immigration and Legion units there (DLEM- permanent and rotational) are involved in operations to counter it.

French Guyana where 3 REI is based also has permanent operations against illegal migrants and illegal gold miners in the jungle.
Bl00dy hell that's busy. Do they do any training/ops in Gabon or is that still BIMA/RPIMA only?

Slight thread drift - however when i saw Op Chammal, this sprung to mind

boselecta.jpg

Bl00dy hell that's busy. Do they do any training/ops in Gabon or is that still BIMA/RPIMA only? .......
Since the recent reorganisation of the French Army, the operational units of the Foreign Legion are all totally integrated within the formations of the French Army and thus fully integrated into a unified tour plot whereby all French military units and sub-units can be posted anywhere, so for example regular French sub-units can be attached to 3 REI in Guyane and DLEM in Mayotte (and previously 13 DBLE when stationed in UAE) and Legion sub-units can be attached to 6 BIMa in Gabon and 2 RPIMa in La Reunion.

On Ops the GTIA and SGTIA concept rules supreme whereby flexible batallion(+)-size battle groups (GTIA) and company(+)-size combat groups (SGTIA) are made up of elements of various arms deemed necessary for the task. These can be then combined in brigade-size task forces where necessary. All French regiments must be able to supply GTIA HQs and French brigades brigade HQs. Therefore Foreign Legion units and sub-units are costantly working alongside a panoply of regular French Army units. This has only been possible since the professionalisation of the French Army. Before that the Legion worked almost exclusively with regular French Paras and Marine Infantry at unit and formation level.

The rotational tour plot rotates between the two French operational divisions (1 Div & 3 Div) with at any one time emphasis for one being on external tours and for the other on internal security (Op Sentinelle etc.) refit, training and exercises.

Current (2018 ) French Army Orbat is here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Structure_of_the_Armée_de_Terre_2018.png (Cdo is an abbreviation for "commandement" i.e. command not for commando). Link provide as it is a very large file.

A little dated, but this shows the French Forces positioned across the world (regular rotational tours, i.e. not additional operational engagements):
1524994253526.png

In addition the French Army is engaged on Ops in the Sahel (across Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Chad and Burkina Faso) in Iraq (training mission) in Lebanon (UN mission) and is supplying troops to the NATO forces in the Baltic States. Oh and the usual unmentionables going to unmentionable places and doing unmentionable things :) .

Looking at what is going on in Africa (my personal extrapolation), other potential Ops looming this year are a possible return to the Central African Republic and if DRC deteriorates even further, possible limited Ops there.

Last edited:
[no wah] Its sounds a bit like a Bo Selecta catchphrase, (though strictly speaking Michael Jackson's not Craig David)
Bo who? never mind. No wah - "poppewlah kulcha" is not really my bag.
The only two Bo's that I know of are Peep and Diddley!

Joyeux fête de Camerone a toutes les legionnaires!

I hoofed it up the hill nice and early to Fort de Nogent this morning in freezing rain. It was sodding closed. They are commemorating Camerone tomorrow which is a public holiday in France. Oh well, I've got the Arc de Triomphe ceremony this evening instead. Will be wearing extra layers as it is currently -4°c. It's sunny in Aubagne, the other half was on parade this morning and will be sinking a few of these tonight.

Bonne fête de Camerone !

31466926_1699495356752382_852237595902476288_n.jpg

I hoofed it up the hill nice and early to Fort de Nogent this morning in freezing rain. It was sodding closed. They are commemorating Camerone tomorrow which is a public holiday in France. Oh well, I've got the Arc de Triomphe ceremony this evening instead. Will be wearing extra layers as it is currently -4°c. It's sunny in Aubagne, the other half was on parade this morning and will be sinking a few of these tonight.

Bonne fête de Camerone !

View attachment 332907
Ah, Vitamin K - present at all Legion ceremonies. I wonder if there was any truth to the rumour that circulated when I was in, that the Legion owned one third of the shares in Kronenbourg Breweries. We used to have two articulated lorries full of the stuff delivering every week to the Foyer (i.e. Junior Ranks Club / NAAFI shop equivalent) in Camp Raffalli. The Sergeants' and Officers' Messes had their own deliveries.

A case of twenty-four stubbies (or multiples of) was the usual fee/thank-you for favours, good deeds, minor misdemeanours etc.

Last edited:
Ah, Vitamin K - present at all Legion ceremonies. I wonder if there was any truth to the rumour that circulated when I was in, that the Legion owned one third of the shares in Kronenbourg Breweries. We used to have two articulated lorries full of the stuff delivering every week to the Foyer (i.e. Junior Ranks Club / NAAFI shop equivalent) in Camp Rafalli. The Sergeants' and Officers' Messes had their own deliveries.
That would be akin to saying BAOR owned a third of the shares in Herforder Brauerei GmbH............notionally we probably do.

Latest Threads