How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

A video clip I mentioned ages ago that I've managed to find.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not mocking here or taking the pyss. I've been on the wrong end of a shit landing once and enjoyed a 13 week enforced rest for my efforts.

I imagine blokes in the REP are told the same as us, accept the landing you are given.

And if you walk away from it, its a good jump.

I do like how the blokes in the block are just looking on a little bit in amusement, probably shouting 'get tight' etc

Anyone shed any light on it? Is the DZ nearby, miscalculation? Pilot error?

The bloke landing near the roundabout seams to be up on his feet and moving about anyway :thumleft:

Suppose, on the brightside, it saves waiting for transport from the DZ. Double bonus if you land outside the cookhouse.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not mocking here or taking the pyss. I've been on the wrong end of a shit landing once and enjoyed a 13 week enforced rest for my efforts.

I imagine blokes in the REP are told the same as us, accept the landing you are given.

I do like how the blokes in the block are just looking on a little bit in amusement, probably shouting 'get tight' etc

The bloke landing near the roundabout seams to be up on his feet and moving about anyway :thumleft:

Suppose, on the brightside, it saves waiting for transport from the DZ. Double bonus if you land outside the cookhouse.

I caught mostly some choice French / Slavic to the effect of "Oooh! Faark! Shyt! 'kinell! Nice one" etc.

Lack of t-shirts would suggest it's probably summer so unlikely to be a recent video, and I haven't heard of anything like that happening recently. The DZ is about 300m nearby so massive pilot error, its possible to jump out over the regiment but you can usually steer the parachute to the DZ, so they obviously were pretty far from it. Pretty cool landing though right on the parade grounds where the bugler makes his calls.

What transport from the DZ? We have to run a kilometre to the collection point with the kit after we land. You guys get transport? Where he landed is right in front of the colonel's bureau as well so it would have been pretty comic if he ran past and saw some high ranking officer..."bonjour mon colonel" "bonjour...ah...bon saut?"

Lack of t-shirts would suggest it's probably summer so unlikely to be a recent video, and I haven't heard of anything like that happening recently. The DZ is about 300m nearby so massive pilot error, its possible to jump out over the regiment but you can usually steer the parachute to the DZ, so they obviously were pretty far from it. Pretty cool landing though right on the parade grounds where the bugler makes his calls.

What transport from the DZ? We have to run a kilometre to the collection point with the kit after we land. You guys get transport? Where he landed is right in front of the colonel's bureau as well so it would have been pretty comic if he ran past and saw some high ranking officer..."bonjour mon colonel" "bonjour...ah...bon saut?"
I very much doubt it was pilot error.
On a regularly used local DZ, the FFL might let an experienced Jumpmaster give final corrections to a pilots run-in line.
More usually, and especially when more than one aircraft is operating, exit point calculations and the permission to drop will come from the ground.

Hi everyone, I've not been posting for a while because of pressure of work and then separately a family issue (so to speak).

The DZ is just south of Camp Raffalli as can be seen from this Google Earth screenshot.
Camp Raffalli.JPG

What probably happened is that there was a sudden change of wind - it happens as the location is on a narrow plain sandwiched between sea and mountains.

When I was serving there was a classic case of someone coming through the first floor end corridor window of the First Company block (the nearest to the DZ).

Anyway today's jumpers have it easy, most of the DZ apart from the bit at the beginning (western end) used to be covered in "maquis" scrub, which was progressively cleared away in the mid-eighties by lads doing time in the regimental nick.

As regards helping your mates after landing - injuries are rather the exception than the rule and there is a heavy dose of the "T'es Legionnaire, demerdes-toi!" philosophy.

Good article from the NZ press:
Kiwi veterans of the French Foreign Legion prepare to mark their own 'Anzac Day'
There was a small number of Kiwis in the REP when I served and this chap was one of them. Outstanding bloke who went to the Pathfinder platoon (then called the "Chuteurs Ops" as the acronym for Commandos de Renseignement et Action dans le Profondeur was not so warry in NATO Standard English), now called the GCP or "Groupement Commando Parachutiste" and classed as Tier 2 SF. They were the only part of 2REP involved in Operation Daguet (i.e. Gulf War 1) alongside 1REC, 2REI and 6REG (later renamed 1REG).

Last edited:
As regards the Groupement Commando Parachutiste (GCP), all the combat regiments of the 11eme Brigade Parachutiste have a Section des Commandos Parachutistes (French "section" usually equals UK platoon, but a "peloton" is a cavalry troop). 2REP's is the largest of these. They can work independently within their own regiments or can be regrouped at Brigade level to form a larger unit for operations at a more operational or strategic level. See below from wiki (and note the typo GPC not GCP which it should be. Also the loggie sign is not quite right for the Bde HQ (Etat-Major or EM)
1524410660200.png

Good article from the NZ press:
Kiwi veterans of the French Foreign Legion prepare to mark their own 'Anzac Day'
There was a small number of Kiwis in the REP when I served and this chap was one of them. Outstanding bloke who went to the Pathfinder platoon (then called the "Chuteurs Ops" as the acronym for Commandos de Renseignement et Action dans le Profondeur was not so warry in NATO Standard English), now called the GCP or "Groupement Commando Parachutiste" and classed as Tier 2 SF. They were the only part of 2REP involved in Operation Daguet (i.e. Gulf War 1) alongside 1REC, 2REI and 6REG (later renamed 1REG).
Ha - yeah I knew Taikato and did Trembaths promo, the legend of Kiwi Fry is still going strong - couldn't run his own length but ended all arguments with one punch to any takers. There was an Ozzie on the same promo as Ray, who found French a bit challenging; one memorable moment was when he was hanging up in the simulator and the Yugoslav Sgt is shouting at him 'serre les jambes, serre les jambes!' and he shouted back 'oui sergeant, chef de chambre, chef de chambre...'

Ha - yeah I knew Taikato and did Trembaths promo, the legend of Kiwi Fry is still going strong - couldn't run his own length but ended all arguments with one punch to any takers. There was an Ozzie on the same promo as Ray, who found French a bit challenging; one memorable moment was when he was hanging up in the simulator and the Yugoslav Sgt is shouting at him 'serre les jambes, serre les jambes!' and he shouted back 'oui sergeant, chef de chambre, chef de chambre...'
Didn't know Trembath, however In the early days the old RNZN stoker could run OK, but time must've taken its toll. As regards decking someone with one punch, I fondly remember a Spaniard being transformed into a floppy pool table decoration in the "Son des Guitares" with a snappy left-hook after he didn't "pige" on several growled warnings. He was a great hooker as well. (For our Transatlantic cousins, "hooker" is a position in the centre of a rugby scrum where you attempt to hook the ball out with your feet while supported on the shoulders of the tight-head and loose-head props). As regards language, he originally thought the first lines of the song went: "Chan, wobbly-doobly-dan." A great pity about the motor-cycle smash.

Continuing with the GCP theme, here's a recent clip of them training which was posted on 2 REP's facebook page:
And another one:

Last edited:
It's been posted before, but with reference to a recent post, this clip shows the DZ next to the camp from the air. BTW all the "Larguers" i.e. PJI's / Jumpmasters are from the Regiment.

^ The most notable thing being the massive case of Kronenburg sent out last... :)
Another illustration of dour Legion humour was that despite being semi-unable to swim I was affected to the 3rd herd for a life of aquatic adventure. Because I could run OK and wasn't 'trops con' I ended up doing Plongeur de Bord (Navy Diver) and CTE/CT1 SAF (Army Diver + Leader) pretty much one after the other. As you can imagine this was a bit of a beast; I remember on the first test session watching everyone set off like Olympic swimmers with shaved legs and rubber caps; I jumped in feet first in my rugby shorts and just about struggled though. Eventually I finished them all and bizarrely was rated 2nd on all three courses. Well I was pretty stoked, not bad for a landlubber. I got back to regiment and, as customary, passed in front of the Colonel. Here we go, I thought, pat on the back time. I went in and presented myself and without a word the Colonel picked up my file and leafed through it. After a few moments he looked at me and said 'Just because we're the 2nd REP doesn't mean you have to come second in everything, now **** off'!

Since la fête de Camerone is approaching, will it be marked in London? I seem to recall a wreath being laid at the statue of Marshal Foch in Victoria?

Since la fête de Camerone is approaching, will it be marked in London? I seem to recall a wreath being laid at the statue of Marshal Foch in Victoria?
Correct

Latest Threads