How does a good Tp Comd maintain high morale within his Troop on operations?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by cowen1966, Mar 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yeah thats an essay title and im stuck any help much appriciated!

2. I find that the chaps like nothing more than PT in the morning, a knock on inspection and work them from 8 till late (at least 8 at night). Through out the day, there should be regular banal parades that achieve nought, but take up time.

Or

You could try the social side, pub quizes and 'movie nights' with pop corn and 'alchol free beer (availabe at the PX), tour t-shirts, and sports. Don't make it compulsory, but you will find most turn up anyway, if it is good, more will turn up. But be wary of taking 'personal' time when people could be talking to loved ones or what not. If the chefs are onside, a bar-b-q or curry night is a good thing every once in a while (if you are in a location that allows it).

A good Tp SSgt is a must.

Writing to various groups and companies asking for gizits is good too, or at least organising it. And encouraging replys to those who send out gifts and welfare packages. The lads don't neccesarily warm to that, but they usually see the good side to it when more packages arrive.

Rewards of time off, lie ins and (if needed) long showers can also be used for those who have grafted. A slab of coke or something is also handy in remote locations.

All depends where you are and what you have on hand/available.

If you are in a remote location, ensure mail is getting through. ie Be robust, if you know someone is coming (even your own OC/CO) tell them to bring mail from BSN or larger FOBs, when they leave be sure to give them a sac of mail to go out of the base.

If you have works access to interweb, print off or at least collate news from home (nationals and locals). Where paper is an issue you can get it read out (esp by the younger lads) at orders to ensure people know what is going on.

Make sure local lads storeies, letters, cards and what not are put up where all can see.

3. In my experience, soldiers consider life thus: if they can't eat it, drink it or fukc it, they willl fight it. Provide them with the means of indulging these needs, and they will be cool. On operations, the options are limited, naturally but the needs don't go away.

4. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Or fight over it!

dpm

5. Pay when it is due
    News (papers & TV) from home
    Contact with home (phone/email/letter/parcel)
    Leave when it is due
    Results & progress in missions (vital in COIN & enduring ops)
    Be straight & honest with them
    Do your best for them (and make sure they know it)
    Videos/DVDs/books
    Improve accomodiation & ablutions
    Sports & gym
    Rotate jobs properly
    Make sure the troop aren't getting the shit end of the stick

6. Agree 100% and the most important are provide top cover for your guys and don't bullshit them (they will see through it).

7. No - keep him away from me.

8. It helps if you don't keep personal notes on individuals in a diary that you forgetfully leave lying about in the Tp Office and then go crying to the OC because you've been gripped.

9. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Work out what your job is on ops then do that job and more. Do not serve yourself or try to look good for the OC/CO. The men will see through that. Serve for them. Allow them to let off steam once in awhile. Common sense really.

10. Too right!

My first OC "2Lt barbs, why are your men asleep on their beds?"

My first Pl Sgt steps in: "because they want to be asleep on their beds"

Do not be too disheartened about sodjers not wanting to do sh1t you have organised. If you need to be seen to organise stuff, do so, but sometimes doing nothing is good in and of itself.

11. Not directly germane - and moreover, a story of happier, quieter, times - but I remember vividly the stories coming out of Cyprus after Op Stables - the whole Cyprus spy trial thing. The Powers That Be decided that the reason a few individuals engaged as hard as they did in, um, relaxation, when not on shift, was that they were not being led. The solution was blindingly obvious, to them - post in a bunch of keen young subalterns to motivate, enthuse and lead the soldiers and airmen - who were working a 24/7 shift cycle on relatively important operational tasks, fitting in phys and mil trg on days off.

Predictably, these unfortunate young guys found themselves organising adventure training, extra phys, all sorts of wonderful stuff during what was effectively the lads' only free time - and the lads hated it, and them.

Not their fault, not the lads' fault - but definitely a bum decision somewhere up the chain.

The best YOs in those circumstances went with barbs' approach above - grasping that sometimes their job is not just leading the chaps, but also protecting them, by engaging in what is effectively a conspiracy with their SNCOs against the next echelon up. This can, of course, be highly career-defining.

12. In an upwards or downwards sense?

13. I remember one of those young officers explaining to me that his real function was not to be a troop commander in the conventional sense but to act as you described and to be sacked in the event of Stables 2 - 'it always looks better if they sack an officer rather than a SNCO, and the NCOs are actually useful' as he put it.

C_C

14. Generally laterally... and often outwards. "Rupert, I wonder if you wouldn't be happier doing something else, perhaps outside the Army?"

15. Ah, yes, I see. Bad times.