HOW DODGY IS PSD IN IRAQ/AFGHAN

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by parasigs, Jun 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DUE TO LEAVE THE MOB AFTER CHRISTMAS AND HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THE CIRCUIT IN IRAQ OR AFGHAN. HOW RISKY IS IT? AND WHATS THE BEST COURSES TO DO?

2. parasigs, theres half of 216 on the circuit, ask one of them.

If you want any specific infomation, I may be able to give you a steer, pm.

3. Being 216 he may prefer a bum steer !!

on a serious note. theres a lot of people out there wanting to get onto the circuit, and its a tough game to get into. theres a lot of cowboy outfits and you dont want to end up with them.

id personally use your trade background and use that to your advantage. you will get better pay and be safer also.

any questions then pm me, i may be able to help.

cheers

4. I agree, look to your trade, because the Circuit is now very hard to get on.

I know a lot of qualified guys ( having experience, multiple tours on the Circuit and completed PSD courses) who are having trouble getting back out there as the contracts are reducing or being taken by cheap alternatives ie: Iraqi's, Gurka's etc.

However BT, Vodafone, Oragne etc all require engineers who will go into hostile areas like Nottingham etc

5. Could you shout a bit louder please, I can't quite hear you :roll: :roll: :roll:

6. As above its hard to get constant work, there's loads of blokes (in the thousands) trying to get out, its a very cut throat ruthless industry.. And the rates are dropping for lads on the ground.
    Two colleagues I personally know who are both ex-SF had to wait four months between jobs.
    Think seriously about this prior to entering into this field.

7. There is a mass exodos in progress...

Another war somewhere would put the market back on an even footing for everyone.

8. And IRAN has to go and sort things with the US. i was looking forward to getting called up.

9. Role on Iran, set it free from tirrany and leave an international military presence to deal with an insurgency threat. And along with that of course, an army of private security operators to make sure people get to work safely...

And no more ex-british army security operators sitting around at home or in some Thai brothel scratching there balls turning alcoholic....happy days

10. Currently in Iraq at least you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting hit.

Though as it stands I've met probably 30 odd guys who have been out there. Of them it was 2 or 3 who had not been in a contact, about half had seen a mate caught in an IED/shot and a handful had been repatriated because of being shot or blown up.

Not good odds.