How do you use a Boiling vessel in a landrover / other vehs

#1
Does anyone know how to make / buy / find a plug or way of using a BV in a vehicle without the correct plug?

Would you need a transformer or something?

I remember replacing loads of units that the Boiling Vessel plugged into in BV206's, would I need one?
 
#2
If memory serves me right - it's been a few years, we used to wire them to the sig btys in the back. Can't remember how though :oops:
 
#3
as far as i know there are about 4 or 5 wires, cant really work out how it would work, also dont actually have one to test with yet!
 
G

GLESGA-NED

Guest
#7
Gremlin said:
Doesn't work on 24 rather than 12v? Not at all certain, just a niggling memory!
I thought BVs were only used on 24v vehs. We used them on the 432 series wagons. The only other veh I saw them in was a "Recker" (I'm not saying they aren't used on other wagons). I would say you need a techey or electrical geek to pin out the cables with a mutimeter to see whats what.
 
#8
GLESGA-NED said:
Gremlin said:
Doesn't work on 24 rather than 12v? Not at all certain, just a niggling memory!
I thought BVs were only used on 24v vehs. We used them on the 432 series wagons. The only other veh I saw them in was a "Recker" (I'm not saying they aren't used on other wagons). I would say you need a techey or electrical geek to pin out the cables with a mutimeter to see whats what.
Correct, that's why I said we connected it to the signal btys in the back. I'm sure they were modded to fit, by some REME tech for a couple of beers :wink:
 
#10
Seen In an FFR, surely easiest thing to do is dig out the part numbers from the relevant AESP????
 
#11
sticky said:
Seen In an FFR, surely easiest thing to do is dig out the part numbers from the relevant AESP????
When I was in, thez were never on official issue for FFR's, only for tracked vehicles and Stolly's. This may have changed since then though.
 
#13
Alsacien said:
cdn_spr said:
Just to add to Recce19's comments, I thought all FFR rovers were 24V anyways.
Can be -depends how you wire the batts up... :wink:
Never came across an FFR that wasn't 24v. However, I have seen 12v GS fitted with radios :wink:
 
#14
Recce19 said:
sticky said:
Seen In an FFR, surely easiest thing to do is dig out the part numbers from the relevant AESP????
When I was in, thez were never on official issue for FFR's, only for tracked vehicles and Stolly's. This may have changed since then though.
Believe BV's may be an authorised mod for command vehicles, rank has its priveledges and all that :roll: Anyone know any different or more info?

Also seen them fitted to fodens
 
#15
sticky said:
Believe BV's may be an authorised mod for command vehicles, rank has its priveledges and all that :roll: Anyone know any different or more info?

Also seen them fitted to fodens
What about an old LR Disco though???
 
#16
From memory,

Older Blue type of BV

Cut the BV lead off at the vehicle end, there are 4 blue leads marked up A,B,C,D

the leads you need are A and C (check with a multi meter) think about putting a heavy duty switch in the lead to save you having to plug/unplug all the time - (it does knacker the pins in the lead if it arc's)

Connect them up to the sigs batteries so you wont drain the vehicle battery
Same if you plan on using a 24v/240v inverter for laptop/mobile charger or fairy lights (ask Lynxeffectlol) :D

Run the wagon when you are brewing and enjoy having hot food and brews on rubbish road moves while everyone else whinges like little girls


Our nicked blue BV did me very well for 4 months on Telic 1 in my rover


The newer silver type BV seem to use less current and have the bonus of an on off switch on the side.
 
#17
Beware, fitting a BV to a Lanny comes with a price. The 24v genny is there to charge the batteries which are used for the radios, these pull a certain amount of amps, amps which the genny can handle. It cannot(over a period of time) handle the amps needed to power a BV. Water needs a lot of power to heat it, the same volts mean more amps its as simple as that.
You have been warned.
QED.
 
#18
Unknown_Callsign said:
Beware, fitting a BV to a Lanny comes with a price. The 24v genny is there to charge the batteries which are used for the radios, these pull a certain amount of amps, amps which the genny can handle. It cannot(over a period of time) handle the amps needed to power a BV. Water needs a lot of power to heat it, the same volts mean more amps its as simple as that.
You have been warned.
QED.
That's what I remember as the reason they weren't issue kit for Landrovers. Having said that, I can't remember any of the ones I drove having genny/alternator* faults. :wink:

*(forgotten which they have :oops: )
 
#19
But remember to remove it prior to those nice people from the ECI Team coming round, as it would be classified as an unauthorised modification, and unless supported by an Engineering Officer's risk assessment and evidence of an application for embodiment authority to the relevant IPT, you would land yourself in the brown and smelly in double quick time.

If in doubt, or an insomniac, look at LFSO 4505, LEUMS 2 and JSP 886.

I'm off to peruse my collection of obsolete pornographic publications. Remember to knock.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T The NAAFI Bar 8
P The NAAFI Bar 31
P Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top