How do you stop the b#stards listening.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
You do realise we are talking about the grate brane who put me on ignore, then complained to the Mods that he couldn't see my posts, right?

And you did notice I'd posted that facepalm for you, not at you.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Show off.
Works laptop - Win10 - Cyber security essentials certified
Personal laptop - Win7
Games machine - Win10
Legacy work machine - WinXP (air gapped from internet)
Linux Box #1 -- Mint current version used as a telly box / DVD player
Linux Box #2 -- Linus XFCE as it doesn't have much RAM

I'm still toying with the idead of buying a BBC Master 128 just because I had one ages ago.

Only ever use Brave when duckduck go, won't render the page. This is about 12 months of very intermittent use

View attachment 539237
Passing 8.2k blocked now. My understanding is that Brave is doing it's job and stopping ads and trackers.
Only had it a few days. Seems OK so far.

Dwarf

LE
How did Scaleys inflict BATCO on the rest of the Army? It’s like saying the infantry inflicted FV430 series on the Army, or the SA80, for that matter.
IIRC wasn't it invented by a Scaley? Though to be fair it was the higher ups who didn't have to use it that ordered it to be used. He would certainly have received a 'warm' welcome had he shown his face in my battalion when Batco came in.

As to people listening in, hasn't this been going on for a while. I was told that everytime we went on the radio we had a fifty-fifty chance of being recorded by Ivan. He built up a huge data base to help them identify units when they were on net.

Or was someone pulling my plonker back then?

Ed for fat fingers.

Last edited:
That's not fair. NO-ONE understands batco.
That's the general idea!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

IIRC wasn't it invented by a Scaley? Though to be fair it was the higher ups who didn't have to use it that ordered it to be used. He would certainly have received a 'warm' welcome had he shown his face in my battalion when Batco came in.

As to people listening in, hasn't this been goging on for a while. I was told that everytime we went on the radio we had a fifty-fifty chance of being recored by Ivan. He built up a huge data base to help them identify units when they were on net.

Or was someone pulling my plonker back then?
The very visible mountain top listening post on the Brokan, in the eastern half of the Hartz mountains, was a warsaw pact listening post, used to monitor all transmissions from NATO exercises, god help any radio Dett that broke protocol. A whole world of shit would engulf them.
I was in a CP when an operator in one of our out stations, used place names and locations, in clear, The whole net was shut down. The culprit, , attached to an artillery mob, was arrested. Note:- I was told in a real war, the life expectancy of a static radio detachment, was about 20 minutes...... BFPO 32

Last edited:
Serious head on...

If you have an ’internet of things’ device in your home then consider changing what it is called for when you connect it to the internet - for example you can buy internet enabled sex toys...

That said - my life is so pathetic and sad that nobody is going to get that much about me by listening in on Alexa. Although my internet enabled devices have all had name changes...
Please do elaborate old chap :)

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not explosives? You're slipping badly should we be concerned?

(Touches side of nose) it's an explosive hammer...

I was in a CP when an operator in one of our out stations, used place names and locations, in clear, The whole net was shut down. The culprit, , attached to an artillery mob, was arrested. Note:- I was told in a real war, the life expectancy of a static radio detachment, was about 20 minutes...... BFPO 32
Yes dear.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The very visible mountain top listening post on the Brokan, in the eastern half of the Hartz mountains, was a warsaw pact listening post, used to monitor all transmissions from NATO exercises, god help any radio Dett that broke protocol. A whole world of shit would engulf them.

As above,
Samsung/ Android/ Ulefone.
'The lad' was whaffling on about last summer bbq's last night, I made a throwaway comment re.
"It's probably as good a time to be looking for a new gas burner"...

While perusing Arrse this morning, what's the first feckin ad that pops up in the banner!

He's always moaned about stuff like this on his Samsung, but I've never (knowingly) been afflicted.
I've just had to buy a new indestructible ulefone, after destroying the last one.
It was fine, this one's to running Android 10, only difference.
I've not got Google Assistant on or any of those listening devices round the place.
It's either his phone or mine listening in.
ETA.
I'm on a VPN if that makes any difference, he's not.

How do I keep the buggers at bay?

Morning @Oops,
Incinerate phone?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
As above,
Samsung/ Android/ Ulefone.
'The lad' was whaffling on about last summer bbq's last night, I made a throwaway comment re.
"It's probably as good a time to be looking for a new gas burner"...

While perusing Arrse this morning, what's the first feckin ad that pops up in the banner!

He's always moaned about stuff like this on his Samsung, but I've never (knowingly) been afflicted.
I've just had to buy a new indestructible ulefone, after destroying the last one.
It was fine, this one's to running Android 10, only difference.
I've not got Google Assistant on or any of those listening devices round the place.
It's either his phone or mine listening in.
ETA.
I'm on a VPN if that makes any difference, he's not.

How do I keep the buggers at bay?
A couple of things, a VPN won't make much of a difference as it's basically just a different endpoint for traffic from your device, they (generally) stop 'listening in' to your data packets and DNS tracking. Secondly, there are a lot of low-quality applications for Android that are capable of using data from your phone for their profit by selling it to ad brokers (like Google) to target you with, whether they are using voice recognition or just tracking your searches is a different mass debate...
And of course, there's the VPN providers themselves.

So many leakage points!

ETA A lot of 'bad' domains have benign names - for example, 'Crashlytics' is owned by Google, now why would they have bought that company?
App-measurement.com is also owned by Google... Swiftkey (owned by Microsoft) is a good phone keyboard with accurate predictive text - but also sends your data back to the mothership (unless you block it).
And then there's Mixpanel.
"Mixpanel's Ingestion API collects events, user information, and group information. If you send data using the proper JSON format, Mixpanel ingests and displays that data. Mixpanel's ingestion capability allows you to track events on any device that is connected to a network."

1610655423640.png

Last edited:
Cardiac arrest? Good story though.

endure

GCM
I take regular selfies of my nads. Seems to keep the overly curious away...