How do you stop the b#stards listening.

It has been postulated by others, that Alexa, and other listening devices, while waiting for the key word to activate your commands, that all other conversations are electronically stored in one massive data bank. This if true, is a frightening prospect. If the security services think that you are a person of interest, i suspect they will have access to all conversations monitored by these rather insidious devises...... Legal eavesdropping, Combine this with facial recognition cameras in public places, 1984 has arrived, with vengeance.
Others, are talking shite.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
It has been postulated by others, that Alexa, and other listening devices, while waiting for the key word to activate your commands, that all other conversations are electronically stored in one massive data bank. This if true, is a frightening prospect. If the security services think that you are a person of interest, i suspect they will have access to all conversations monitored by these rather insidious devises...... Legal eavesdropping, Combine this with facial recognition cameras in public places, 1984 has arrived, with vengeance.

Do you ever stop to think about the practical implications of such suggestions?

Taking Alexa devices alone, Amazon had sold 100m of them, back in 2019. Average voice recording is about 2MB/minute. 120MB/hr. 2.8GB/day. 100 million of those is about a third of an exabyte. You have to somehow get that much data into some sort of storage facility and index it all.

Add in Siri and Bixby devices (Apple and Samsung), and let's call it the full exabyte. That's 10^18 bytes of data a day. If the average storage disk is 10TB (pushing it a bit, but let's call it that for easy maths), you have to install 100,000 10TB disks a day. At 1.5lb per disk, that's about 75 tons of disks, not including the housings. Per day.

If you used 100Gbit/s fiber optic links to move all this data, you would, at 100% utilization, need 925 of them. They're not exactly installed on every street corner, either. A single one costs about $20K/mo, depending on distance and location. So your monthly phone bill alone is approaching $20m.

Average power consumption of a HDD is about 10W. So you need to add 1MW of power capacity a day. Over a year, you're at a third of a gigawatt being consumed. You have to have the generation, transmission and distribution capacity to support that, let alone pay the bill. You also have to dissipate a third of a gigawatt of heat too.

Just to keep pace with the installed base, that is. Amazon, Apple and Samsung aren't selling any fewer devices either.

Fvcking ludicrous suggestion.

Taking Alexa devices alone, Amazon had sold 100m of them, back in 2019. Average voice recording is about 2MB/minute. 120MB/hr. 2.8GB/day. 100 million of those is about a third of an exabyte. You have to somehow get that much data into some sort of storage facility and index it all.

Add in Siri and Bixby devices (Apple and Samsung), and let's call it the full exabyte. That's 10^18 bytes of data a day. If the average storage disk is 10TB (pushing it a bit, but let's call it that for easy maths), you have to install 100,000 10TB disks a day. At 1.5lb per disk, that's about 75 tons of disks, not including the housings. Per day.

If you used 100Gbit/s fiber optic links to move all this data, you would, at 100% utilization, need 925 of them. They're not exactly installed on every street corner, either. A single one costs about $20K/mo, depending on distance and location. So your monthly phone bill alone is approaching $20m.

Average power consumption of a HDD is about 10W. So you need to add 1MW of power capacity a day. Over a year, you're at a third of a gigawatt being consumed. You have to have the generation, transmission and distribution capacity to support that, let alone pay the bill. You also have to dissipate a third of a gigawatt of heat too.

Just to keep pace with the installed base, that is. Amazon, Apple and Samsung aren't selling any fewer devices either.

No, he knows what he's talking about. You're just wrong. "Others" have told him.

<Insert every single facepalm image on the entire internet here.>

Serious head on
yes - your electronic assistants are always listening to you. This information is parsed for things that have market value - so if you are listening to a Radio 4 program on your mobile phone where they are discussing a particular book do not be surprised if that book shows up on the ‘suggestions’ the next time you open Amazon. In the same way that all your devices record cookies and store them so that advertisers can pay your to deliver person specific adverts according to your browsing history.

If you have an ’internet of things’ device in your home then consider changing what it is called for when you connect it to the internet - for example you can buy internet enabled sex toys. On a course with Amazon Web Services we all went online and found the locations of where such devices were around Manchester - you could also do this to hack peoples fridges (turn them off when they to on holiday) or to perhaps record random programs on their hard-drive (Posted with apologies to my ex-wife). Whilst not being simple, knowing what a device is will mean that you already know what weaknesses that system has and maybe what the default password may be - or just post on social media that Mrs Jones at 43 The High Street has a super big boy bruiser with enabled bluetooth.

That said - my life is so pathetic and sad that nobody is going to get that much about me by listening in on Alexa. Although my internet enabled devices have all had name changes...

Ah but, if you/others were listening in, to misquote a voice from the past, "You would say that, wouldn't you? ;)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I don't think my Echo is impressed when I shout at it to stop you stupid bitch I wanted opus 71 by symphony orchestra not hip-hop extract by some obscure excuse for a band.

Daz

LE
How did Scaleys inflict BATCO on the rest of the Army? It’s like saying the infantry inflicted FV430 series on the Army, or the SA80, for that matter.

As for Scaleys (or anyone else) being “shit” at BATCO, that’s utter nonsense. Like other crypto systems, you either successfully encode/decode a message, or you don’t. There aren’t degrees of success. Mostly it’s a matter of encoding the message using the right keymat, and the same for decode. In the case of BATCO, also using the same vocab cards. Perhaps you were using the wrong ones?
Mainly because outside of training, the bulk of the Signals never used it

Awol

LE
On a more serious note, Samsung phones are loaded with spyware as is Win10.

I have adblockers installed on all my web browsers & all computers.

Must admit that I've not had any particular problems with adverts on the iphone SE 2020 with latest version of operating system.
Show off.

Awol

LE

Exabyte? Exabyte? Now you’re just making up words.

Good man, that’ll confuse the spying bastards.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
<Insert every single facepalm image on the entire internet here.>

I have found the very image for you to use (and not directed at you)0

1610638523141.png

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
What does it do to existing apps, such as banking and password storage?
Some work fine, others need a bit of jiggery-pokery with programmes such as Majisk to get working, there are plenty of non-Google APK repositories to download stuff from. Adguard does a good job of blackholing all the tracking requests and ads built into a lot of 'apps'. Lineage OS has very granular privacy settings, i've been using it since my Nokia Windows phone went out of support and I had to buy something else but didn't want google or apple to be getting paid for my data.
It supports a lot of older phones - maybe get something cheap to try it on before committing your current phone to de-googling?

Some work fine, others need a bit of jiggery-pokery with programmes such as Majisk to get working, there are plenty of non-Google APK repositories to download stuff from. Adguard does a good job of blackholing all the tracking requests and ads built into a lot of 'apps'. Lineage OS has very granular privacy settings, i've been using it since my Nokia Windows phone went out of support and I had to buy something else but didn't want google or apple to be getting paid for my data.
It supports a lot of older phones - maybe get something cheap to try it on before committing your current phone to de-googling?
I'll give it a go on one of my back of the drawer phones.
Cheers.

You do realise we are talking about the grate brane who put me on ignore, then complained to the Mods that he couldn't see my posts, right?
Did he speak his complaint out loud knowing his phone would dump his words into the 'one massive data bank' and then sit back and wait for the Mods to search said 'one massive data bank' for his words, listen to them and then take action as they saw fit?

Speaking his complaints would be much easier than typing them on his new fangled phone thingy...

7E0B510E-EA36-4DE1-92FC-1E3866B17F76.jpeg

Latest Threads