How do you save £167,000,000,000

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Enlightenment, Apr 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think we all know that nobody has said half of what needs to be done to actually sort this problem out, and I certainly do not believe that any of the (now 3?) contenders have either the moral courage or political will to address the issue.

Working on the Bob Hope principal:

Q. "How do you get to be worth $500 Million"

A. "Simple. You save $1 Million every year for 500 years"

it must be possible to make a few suggestions to help out Dave, Nick and Gordon save a few million here and there until it all adds up. It is clearly pointless sending these to any one important with the election looming; slagging off everyone else is currently far more important to all politicians.

I shall start.

I was first vetted over 20 years ago, and my vetting has never lapsed or been removed. Since leaving the army, I have applied for many jobs, some of which, including my current post, have required me to be vetted. I have now been vetted, at considerable expense, by no less than 4 different agencies. For all of them I have had to fill in exactly the same forms. Virtually all Ministries, most national agencies, 43 Home Office constabularies and god alone knows who else all run their own vetting departments, maintain their own records, have their own standards and probably do everything differently.

I don't know how much it would save, but standardising the whole system and putting it under control of one agency (the Security Service would seem to be the obvious choice) would be a small start. I have no issue with filling in the forms repeatedly, it is a good way to check details - and frankly I still don't think that they realise what they've done. It is the total lack of co-ordination, trust and communication that amazes me.

I am not surprised that the cops don't talk to each other, the information black hole - otherwise known as "Intelligence-led Policing" - which characterises their efforts is well known. I am, however, surprised that no-one in government is grown up enough to rationalise this system.

As an aside I am running at 2 CRB checks at the moment as well.

I reckon that we are now down to £166,500,000,000.

If we keep this up we will have the problem licked in time to tell Important People about it.

2. Now there would be a simple solution, but as it involves the Goverment, this is where the problem lays it called common sense!

Stilts

3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Simples - earn more spend less.

Also please remember this isn't 167 mill debt...this is 167 million borrowing per year....our debt is 890 million and rising. We keep going at this rate we'll be owing more than our income by 2015.

4. Convert the two upper floors of the Palace of Westminster into bedrooms using EasyHotels/Formule 1 cassette modules and introduce PAYD in the restaurant. Scrap all MPs' allowances (they wouldn't need 2nd homes, taxi fares, meal allowances, etc). Apply duty in the bar to bring the prices up to a normal commercial level. Charge membership fees. Change their contract so that their salary is pro-rata to attendance, install a swipe-card system to confirm attendance.

Should put £150M+ back into the coffers each year.

5. Billions, dear boy, billions - to the nines, not to the sixes

So if we get to save £167,500,000,000 each year, the whole lot will be clear by.
    ummmmmmmm............
    3790 AD.

Piece of Cake. Stick the beer in the fridge...
    Oooooooohhh Bugger!
    Compound Interest! We're all f*cked.

6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Sorry the magnitude of the problem just keeps scaring me.

7. There's a simpler solution.

Invade whoever we owe the money to and cancel the debt in one fell swoop.

8. What's this nonsense about saving £167 billion.

The government doesn't have to 'save' a penny. It has something called taxation to tweak to increase income.

Next!

9. Get rid of the NHS and make it all private?

10. That sort of prefaces my question - would would be £167bn (or £870 bn) better off if we repaid it.

11. We only need to make up half of that as higher tax receipts should roll in as the recession passes. Then we just inflate our way out of it!

12. We only need to make up half of that as higher tax receipts should roll in as the recession passes. Then we just inflate our way out of it!

13. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

A good question: Who or what is this money owed to?

Most of it, is owed, presumably, to local financial institutions who don't count (they have been bailed out by government plenty of times already, and will need similar fixes in the futures, doubltessly).

If to foreign bankers (other than Americans) - this has been nailed down above with the invasion suggestion. Bankers come in all shapes, sizes and forms, but if we can't successfully invade, pillage and withdraw from, say, Switzerland and/or the Turks and Caicos Islands, then our Armed Forces must be in a right state. (Pull out from Afghan would have to precede this, of course, but what the hell is the point of being there? No loot in sight.)

If to international institutions a la the IMF and the World Bank - what do we have the SAS for? A few wet jobs here (all offcially deniable, of coure) a few computer hacks there (to wipe records), and this is sorted.

If to Americans: OK, we can't invade the Yanks, so we promise to pay it all back. One day.

By Gad, I do believe we have cracked it.

14. Lower taxes - personal and corporate.

Dispense with ALL 'quangos'.

Withdraw from European Soviet Union.

Disband the BBC in entirety.

Reduce the number of MPs by at least 20%.

Disband the House of 'so-called' Lords and replace with NON POLITICAL appointees - appointed by Commission but ultimately by HM.

Reduce ALL benefits and make continued payments dependent upon work in the public sector - infrastructure, food production - less for the disabled and elderly.

Remove all economic asylum seekers.

Cease ALL payments for 'Overseas Aid and Development'.

Introduce draconian immigration measures.

- to start with.

15. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Stop handing money out overseas to countries richer than us I.E. China

Tell the rest "come and have a go if you think your hard enough"

Send Ray Winstone in to negotiate

"Look theres £890 Billion on the table if you think it's your take it"
    "Oh look it's still there must be ours then"