How do you make a cold bearable?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dwarf, Jan 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last week my sweated labour came down with a shocking cold, and was a real pain. I felt fine until friday when I spent the whole day feeling like I had necked half a bottle of apfelkorn without eating anything. Then I spent the weekend sneezing and snotting as per regulations with this disease.
    I knocked back aspirins, gobbled Schuessler salts, guzzled herbal remedies, but the damn thing still had to run it's course until today, tuesday, I am at the stage of what Dickins described as Great Expectorations.

So given that one has to let it run itself out how do you make it bearable? My preferred option is a blowjob, which definitely clears the sinuses, albeit for a short time. However the Señora is in permanent headache mode at the moment so I had to resort to the old tried and tested hot water/infusion, with honey, lemon and liberally laced with brandy or whisky. (In fact occasionally I dispense with the first three ingredients.)

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to live with a cold? I work indoors with people and kids, so I get them at least once a year.
  2. My prefered method is to take night nurse and sleep through the worst of it. Not an option if you need to do anything though.
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Try Nightnurse in tablet form. A friend, who seems to be a bit of a sickly child, swears by them. Not so soporific nor as foul tasting as the liquid form by all accounts
  4. Hang your bell end over the bath and hit it with a lump hammer. All snot gone!.
  5. Not sure you can get it in the UK but there is a product in the US I use, Zicam. Take it at the first sign of a cold and the symptoms are bearable if not non-existent.
  6. I am pretty lucky in that I live fairly well isolated from the snot gobblers.
    Last one I had was about three years ago.

I find the best way of dealing with it, is to clear the nostrils by sniffing up water and literally wash them out, and then use a nasal inhaler spray which dries the mucus membranes for about ten hours or so. That will allow you to achieve a decent nights sleep, which is always an aid to morale. The you just have to put the time in and live with it.

By the way, if you are not familiar with infusing water into the nasal passages, it is a technique well worth acquiring. It may feel as though you are drowning at first, but believe me, you won't drown. The worst that can happen is that the water will go up your nose and come down into your mouth. A bit like using a pull through on your rifle barrel really.

If you are in any doubt, ask someone who is familiar with the technique
  7. Hopefully it will pass soon, keep your fluids up.
  8. Thanks all.

Josey that bit with the hammer sounds effective :omfg: At least it made me laugh so I am now clearing the green bits off the screen.

Basso, my colleague has been on about this for a while, so I think I will give it a go, just never had the guts to try. :meditate:

Also now I am feeling better, I am off for a gentle run today to try to sweat the last of the crap out. Hate colds while they happen.
  9. I tend to dose up on vitamin c (say 500mg every 4 hours) for a few days. Seems to work.

Some people swear by cutting up a clove of garlic and swollowing it in water.
  10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

At the first threatenings of a cold I use Vick's First Defence. It is vile, but works.

However, once one hits, and the symptoms are definite there is not much one can do. or the stuffy head and clogged sinus I have just visited the CS chamber and inhaled deeply. It was used about four days ago so traces of irrititant still there. It works. If head is really bad, light a cs tab and spend about 15 seconds in there. Really does clear the sinuses.
  11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Fight it until you think your going to die. Drink half a bottle of scotch, wrap up warm and go to bed. Next day right as rain. Apart from the hangover that is.
  12. Man up you big jessie and tackle it head on………………………...with a large glass of Laphroaig and some ice cubes. Repeat until bottle empty/sleeping soundly and when you wake up your hangover will make you forget about your cold. :wink:
  13. Dunno about the garlic, you might feel better but you would probably lose a few friends. Agree with the high doses of vitamin c, I usually use hot lemon, the tescos own brand is every bit as good as the branded stuff for a fraction of the price. Another method i have used in the past which doesn't get rid of it but eases the symptoms is by getting in a hot bath and completely submerging your head a few times for as long as you can hold your breath. The heat or pressure seems to help your sinuses. You come out the bath feeling much better than you got in it.
  15. Olives stuff with raw garlic is also delicious