How do you keep pushing on when you have signed off

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by lochie99, Oct 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I finally signed of 3 weeks ago. The problem is now i really dont want to be anywhere near work as my opinion of the place is rock bottom.

How have people motivated themselves to carry on for the final year, or have they? I dont want to fall in to the trap of being some stroker who has signed off and does naff all.

At the end of the day i am still being paid to do a job so will do it to the best of my ability, just dont want to dread going into work every day with a bad attitude. Any ideas?
  2. Surely you have decided to leave and are counting the days - everyone around you has to stag on. Wont that bring a smile to your face and added enthusiasm to all tasks?

The last exercise, the last parade, the last duty etc...
  3. Volunteer for AFG, once out there, get out a picture of your family and a picture of your dream car / boat and tell everyone how many days left you have till retirement etc.

It works a treat... trust me..

4. My friend you have lots to learn. The day you sign off is the day you can now wander round camp with a clip board, if anyone asks you to do anything just say "I can't, i'm clearing". Anything vaguely military comes up, use the old "I'm de-kitting" or "i'm on my final medical" or the old favourite " I'm on resttlement then".
  5. Turn into a stroker.....I did ;)

I did the bare minimum to get by, bodyswerved as much as I could, and concentrated on what I needed to achieve to be employable in civvy strasse.
  6. Did they make you a WO1?
  7. Unfortunately not :(
  8. I signed off whilst an instructor at trg regts. I tried to remain as prof. as possible for the sake of the recruits. I continued to diligently train them, then received the old...'you have signed off, you can go in the guard room'. this was my second regt. duty whilst there, bearing in mind some of my peers didn't do any (especially considering that I had then filled the gap for guard commander!). Anyway, it was this attitude that led me to stop caring (except from the security/safety aspect). Any officer that pi**ed me off (if they really had, not just because I had a chip developing) got to be debriefed. One case in particular was a jumped up twat (regt.21C if I remember rightly) gave the off going shift cdr a dressing down IN FRONT OF THE RECRUITS, because he 'dared' to remove his cbt. shirt in the 'fish bowl' prior to driving home. In front of the recruits! anyway, I explained the benefits of persec, considering this was while the IRA campaign was at full swing. Said officer says you are only being insubordinate because you have signed off. I replied no sir, I am being insubordinate because you are being a c*nt. Anyway, try and remain positive. You will come across some people who will look down their nose at you. They will truly (misguidedly?) believe that you are wasting your life by leaving. This attitude normally comes from those with an inferiority complex. Head down, get out get on with it. Although I would suggest a red or blue (for visibility reasons) folder under arm. Occasional mince around camp. Eventually the message will be conveyed and you will be left alone.

Good luck, civvy street can be hard, but also very very rewarding. It's up to you at the end of the day.
  9. Good question. I'm currently an OC and am having the same issue - I don't think rank alters the problem. The balance has to be struck between ensuring the exit is properly planned with doing your best to ensure the soldiers in the Coy don't lose out - not easy. The thing older hands keep reminding me is that the Army won't give a sh1t once you're gone, if your next job falls through the Army won't say 'oh well, you worked really hard in your last year and missed all the resettlement you were entitled to - here let us help...'

So, look after number one. Hopefully the times when there is a direct conflict between your needs and the Armys will be few and far between - but if it comes to that call then side with yourself. It's hardly likely to bring the system down after all. Otherwise enjoy the last year, try and prevent yourself becoming bitter - no employer likes to take on someone who is bitter about their last employer (they worry that when you leave them they will be similarly represented). Take every opportunity you can and translate that to your CV, before you know it you will be handing in your ID card and walking into the sunset............
  10. I was lucky, my last posting was Hong Kong and I really enjoyed it, the icing on the cake was being posted back to England for my last 6 months. Technically I was supposed to report to some HQ in York. I phoned the super clerk there and found out he had retiring WOI's coming out of his ears so I gave him my phone number ans told him to call me if he needed me. He never called except on my last day of service to wish me well in Civvie street
  11. Hard vark, couldn't agree more. It really does creep up on you. I left most to chance. I really didn't realise the gravity of going from an establishment as great as the Army; with the 'safety net' of the family that for me, it became, to civvy street. I can see that it really can go wrong. I was lucky, good career after the Military and a wonderful wife and (now) child. I do, however still (on very rare occasions) yearn for that feeling of anticipation (and fear) I had walking through the gates of my first posting as a young man. Those times are of course gone, and it's best remembered that rose tinted glasses are, simply that. If you are determined to succeed you will. Remember that you will have skills from your time that are (very much) lacking in civvy street. I spent the last year recruiting (for a government agency :roll: ), and those who had served (most, admittedly not all) stood head shoulders and more above the vast majority.

If you want it bad enough, you will get it. Think of your Military time as excellent preparation for the rest of your life.

Anyway, I have bored you all long enough,

To one and all that are due to leave; I wish you all the very best in this next stage of your lives.
  12. Just worked out I have 284 days to push I am sure following the above advice i can minimise some if the work needed to be done. And if not well skieve (sp) to survive seems to come to the fore of my mind.
  13. Top tip.

Work hard, and don't jack. Then when you ask for time to do resettlement, etc. your boss's opinion will be high and they may treat you better too.

I remember one lad who signed off, always positive till the end. Covered at last minute a waiting on, did all the sh1t jobs and never complained (I honestly thought he would sign back on!!!!) in the last 6 months or so, he needed extra time off as he was banging out courses like a good un to set himself up for civvie street. The CoC helped him where ever they could, they even gave him a bit of extra leave at the end. He actually left because he didn't like it, but you would never have known.

At the same time in a different Tp was a complete throbber. Decided that he was on some sort of 12 month paid vacation, stopping only for various courses. Went on the biff to prevent himself from doing PT, Guards, etc. Permanent attitude.

All backfired, wasn't given as much leeway as the other lad, because he kept skiving off to his room and got caught out going on a bender instead of a resettlement course.

Applied for the fire brigade, didn't get in because he had been on the biff for nearly a year in the Army for a "bad" back.

Had the cheek to ask for a reference from the Tp SSgt for a fibre job, despite being a thorn in his side for the 13 - 15 months he had been in the troop. I beleive the SSgt declined to give a reference.

You may not like the Army any more, but you should still play the game. You have 12 months left you have a few more Parades to do, and a few more duties and plenty more work.

Don't jack on your mates and CoC because you dislike the Army. You still need a leaving gift!!!! :D
  14. Chocolate Frog, very true words indeed, seen it myself. It does depend on the mentality of the establishment that you are in to some degree though. I was, without blowing my own trumet a very good instructor. better than some I worked alongside (My OC's opinion reflected by my CR's, not mine 8O ). Despite all this, (even with many arguing to retain me teaching) I was placed on guard. I am not a fool, in fact I was even've signed off, I do not want you teaching students; guardroom for you sonny. Imagine how, after much hard work, and time served diligently, this made me feel? Somewhat like a leper I should say :cry: . I won't let one 'managers' attitude at the end of my 12 year career taint the wonderful time that I had over all though :eek: .

Anyway, as I said earlier....i have probably bored you all enough.