How do you define a Gentleman (and are you one)?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BuggerAll, Feb 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There is another thread about cufflinks which has strayed into the territory of how to define a Gentleman. So I thought I'd start another and ask how you define a Gentleman and whether you think you are or not.

Two definitions I've heard are that a Gentleman never takes a pish in the shower - even if he is alone, and a Gentleman is only ever rude on purpose - I fail both of those tests.

It has also been said that manners (or clothes) maketh the man but I've met some very well mannered, very well turned out sh1ts in my time and being a biker I've met many Gentlemen wearing leathers - not to mention clad in all sorts in the Army.

So how do you define a Gentleman?
  2. A gentleman will shake hands with his dog but not the man who feeds him.
  3. The first headmaster of Stowe school, JF Roxburgh, declared his goal to be turning out young men who would be "acceptable at a dance and invaluable in a shipwreck."

It sounds bloody good to me - I sincerely hope that I am, and my kids are raised with this goal. Fuck etiquette. Appropriate swearing is essential!
  4. A true gent never slaps around a hooker up after sex.
  5. I always kiss a lady after she has gobbled me or is this a post for another thread thats currently active :?
  6. The gentleman does not needlessly and unnecessarily remind an offender of a wrong he may have committed against him. He cannot only forgive, he can forget; and he strives for that nobleness of self and mildness of character which impart sufficient strength to let the past be but the past. A true man of honor feels humbled himself when he cannot help humbling others.
  7. Then there's the old story about the old chap who holds a door open for a woman who turns out to be a feminist and she is insulted by it.
    She says to him:
    "Did you hold that door open for me because I'm a woman?"
    To which he replies:
    "No madam, I held it open because I'm a gentleman".
  8. I is a Gent cos I was CAV
  9. A true gentleman never spits when he pisses, or so I was told.
  10. A gentleman is someone who takes off his hat before correcting his wife.
  11. Wipes his knob on the sheet and not the curtains.
  12. Just remembered a story I heard about Charlie Haughey the ex Taioseach.

Apparently he was fond of fox hunting. He was out one day when he lost the rest of the hunt, he saw an old paddy stood next to a gate and asked the old-un "have you seen any gentlemen ride past this way" The old-un replied "god bless you sir, I haven't seen a gentleman for 30 years or more"
  13. A Gentleman would / should not throw his sweet papers out of a car window - at least, that's what I was told as I got yet another thrashing*

*Mind you, after a while you begin to enjoy it... :lol:
  14. In the wonderful reference work What Jane Austen Ate and What Charles Dickens Knew, "A gentleman was defined by law as someone with no regular trade or occupation."

So yes, I am a gentleman, in a broad interpretation of the above.
  15. Lucky he didn't say "No you stupid bint, I am the door man".