How do you deal with 1 civ div(uk)?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by one_pip_wonder, Oct 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I left back in 2006 as a dirty BAT after doing only 5 years, but in the last 4 years I always think about re-joining, I even attended and passed officer selection and had the nod from the Royal Regiment of Scotland for sponsership. But in doing so ended up breaking up my long term relationship with my at the time fiancée as she just couldn't deal with it.
    My family hates the idea of me going back with Afghan on the go, but part of me feels it is something I need to do.
    So if I don't want to be disowned by my family what can I do?

I've posted this in the NAAFI so you can all take the piss.

2. What's she look like?

3. She was a firey latina lass with a big arse, I dunno what she looks like now as I've moved. But I hope she's gotten ugly.

4. Not interested. As for the rest of your post - do it or regret it for the rest of your shallow, futile, whiny life.

5. msr

msr LE

It's your life - live it.

msr

6. Are your family really going to disown you? And anyway who cares, if it's what you want to do, get your bones down to the careers office and stand up for yourself.

7. All very important questions and the photos of the bird are where?

8. Disowned by your family? I'd only worry about that if they were billionaires.

9. I put them in Razzle a few months back, should be the March issue.

10. Obviously they're worried but it's your life, you've got to make your own choices.

11. Considering the fierce competition, if you're good enough to have got the nod for officer training, you're bound to regret passing up the opportunity. I'd be very surprised if your family doesn't fall into line, and if they don't, tough - it's your life, not theirs. Better to regret what you did than what you didn't do.

In addition, if you've got previous service, then you've got a very good idea of what to expect. I'd go back to the green, it sounds very much like that's what you want to do anyway.

12. If I were you I would go back in as all you will do is regret it later.

13. Do it; get back in! Your ex was a crap shag anyway.

I'm trying to rejoin at the moment - fingers crossed!

14. I was told a third of people re-join. I've been out for 10 years, still miss it, but lifes not right to re-join so looking at other suitable options.
    Afghanistan will only last so long, your career will outstretch it by a long stretch I'm sure (Welcome to disagreement if you want, but OPs rarely go on over 20 years, except Banner). Look in your pay packet, check out your pension, look at the cuts being made etc. Then think of that pension by the time your say 45?
    Lets face it, it's your life, not your families. If your partner loved that much, she'd stick by you, I'm sure she'd have a good life to.

So man up and get on with it. Monday morning 9am sharp. Make that call.

15. I had a shit commander and an equally shit First Sergeant at my last assignment so let my enlistment run out (1968). Then, forty years later, a former roommate said, "You should have gone to the base reenlistment office and told them you wanted a reenlistment transfer."

"How could I? I'd never heard of such a thing and thanks so much for the timely advice, you prick! I could have been well retired by now without having to spend thirty years answering 9-1-1 calls from the retarded public."

But, while on the job at 9-1-1, I sometimes phoned the local recruiting office to hear the special of the week for prior service personnel. It was usually 'lose your time in grade but keep your stripes, sorry we don't need your speciality this time, etc.' I didn't have that much TIG; I ought to have jumped at it and given my alcoholic boss the short end of a thousand words on my way out the door.