Builds How do you build your model?

What sort of model-maker are you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The title sounds a bit strange but there is a genuine reason for this. Are you the model-maker who impulse buys a kit, builds it and then leaves it as a dust collector until it's eventual demise; or are you, as one or two of you may be; The type who researches his subject to death, buys several versions of the kit, the aftermarket extras and spends years building the model? Your answers please, for research purposes.

I'm basically a wargamer - I play with lots of toy soldiers and model tanks, AFVs, aircraft etc. I'm probably more interested in the history behind the models than the models themselves. The models are simply my preferred way of exploring the history.

Having said that I do want my toys to look nice, and to look like their historical counterparts, but I'm not too bothered with the small details as in most cases the models are fairly small scale - essentially they are playing pieces which are meant to be handled so they to be robust enough for the tabletop without falling apart or breaking.

Some of my toys...

I also like to design and build nice model terrain to fight over preferably to match the historical period or era I am gaming.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm basically a wargamer - I play with lots of toy soldiers and model tanks, AFVs, aircraft etc. I'm probably more interested in the history behind the models than the models themselves. The models are simply my preferred way of exploring the history.

Having said that I do want my toys to look nice, and to look like their historical counterparts, but I'm not too bothered with the small details as in most cases the models are fairly small scale - essentially they are playing pieces which are meant to be handled so they to be robust enough for the tabletop without falling apart or breaking.

Some of my toys...

I also like to design and build nice model terrain to fight over preferably to match the historical period or era I am gaming.

There is some excellent stuff there @Rodney2q makes my offerings look a tad paltry.

There is some excellent stuff there @Rodney2q makes my offerings look a tad paltry.
For my sins I have done it for a living for the past 20 years so I get a LOT of practice... :)

You should add a 'Lurker' option, due to the absence of a decent work space at home I am resigned to reading how too's, work in progress, and finished builds, on here and other modeling sites. :-(

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You should add a 'Lurker' option, due to the absence of a decent work space at home I am resigned to reading how too's, work in progress, and finished builds, on here and other modeling sites. :-(
Fixed, see option 5

7 out of 10...... best described as "enthusiastic" with a distressing tendency to attempt builds greater than talent and eyesight dictates.

I don't so much get bored with builds.... more frustrated, hence the growing "Shelf of Doom" whose latest inhabitant is the Catalina, 4+ weeks into the build before sacking it off as its never going to reach a decent standard.... or even fit together :)

As for the question "The type who researches his subject to death, buys several versions of the kit, the aftermarket extras and spends years building the model" ....Erg, guilty as charged, there's a reason why I'm up to four Google Drives stuffed with PDF's, currently they weigh in at 39.9 GB in total, then there's the hard copies on the shelves to consider.

Sometimes things get finished

1.jpg

IMG_20180812_204451.jpg

E1.jpg

IMG_20180113_183858[1].jpg

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
7 out of 10...... best described as "enthusiastic" with a distressing tendency to attempt builds greater than talent and eyesight dictates.

I don't so much get bored with builds.... more frustrated, hence the growing "Shelf of Doom" whose latest inhabitant is the Catalina, 4+ weeks into the build before sacking it off as its never going to reach a decent standard.... or even fit together :)

As for the question "The type who researches his subject to death, buys several versions of the kit, the aftermarket extras and spends years building the model" ....Erg, guilty as charged, there's a reason why I'm up to four Google Drives stuffed with PDF's, currently they weigh in at 39.9 GB in total, then there's the hard copies on the shelves to consider.

View attachment 385990

View attachment 385989

View attachment 385988

View attachment 385980
I have to admit falling into the category "easily bored". Like you @daz I have the idea but the capability doesn't match. I don't so much have an unfinished shelf as much as a "yeah, one day shed!" Honestly, the amount of stuff that I start and don't finish. At least the WW1 howitzer is still on the go.

View attachment 385990

View attachment 385989

View attachment 385988

View attachment 385980
Be interested to see "The Shelf of Doooooommmm."

having an outlet and a reason to build a model is a great incentive to finish it. If that means contacting the local War museum, RBL ect, then you can work on something specifically for someone, from someone's past, a ship they served on, a Tank they Crewed, and gun they knew every inch of. We are getting very short of WW2 veterans now. So subjects can still come out of family connections. ( I'm building up to making a model of HMS Victory, my wife has papers showing a relative served aboard as a boy, after Trafalgar.) There are still Veterans from Korea, and all the other post war conflicts. I find making models from my own service a memory opener, when I made that FV432 it kept bringing back memories of BV conversations, Babies heads and Chicken Curry. So making a model for some old lad of a 25 Pounder would open up some memories for him. What a challenge.

having an outlet and a reason to build a model is a great incentive to finish it. If that means contacting the local War museum, RBL ect, then you can work on something specifically for someone, from someone's past, a ship they served on, a Tank they Crewed, and gun they knew every inch of. We are getting very short of WW2 veterans now. So subjects can still come out of family connections. ( I'm building up to making a model of HMS Victory, my wife has papers showing a relative served aboard as a boy, after Trafalgar.) There are still Veterans from Korea, and all the other post war conflicts. I find making models from my own service a memory opener, when I made that FV432 it kept bringing back memories of BV conversations, Babies heads and Chicken Curry. So making a model for some old lad of a 25 Pounder would open up some memories for him. What a challenge.
Know anyone who flew '109's :)

I counted 5. And there was me thinking you're an untidy bugger offog, you should tidy up your work space, but then I see your desk and I don't feel so bad now.

I have a number of figure by julian benassi mostly which will now never get finished. Most of the finished ones I have given away but some I kept which I really liked.

1554334348882.png

It's funny but I saw a Spanish legion soldier recently in exactly the same pose.

1554334474912.png

Many years ago (30+) I experimented with lots of paint and used gouache on his trousers. It would seem that it was not such a good idea.

Now it is mostly 15mm WW2 and I would like to finish my 5mm Austrians and Russians armies.

What an absolutely great frame of mind and incentive for model building.
I'd gladly buy you a pint tomorrow!

I had to click 6 of 10 on that list. I'm now easily bored and I'm now a lurker too, but when I used to build kits, I was the enthusiast. I just don't have it anymore, and the nearest hobby shop that I know of is 70 miles away.

Funny about what SPROCKET321 said about the Victory, when we first moved to Lowestoft around 1970, our next door neighbour did his basic sail training on the Victory when she was still afloat. This was pre 1900.

I would like to start again, but we live in a small two room council house. We really don't have the room. Plus I'm having to act as the custodian to my fathers models for the time being.

I would like to start again, but we live in a small two room council house. We really don't have the room. Plus I'm having to act as the custodian to my fathers models for the time being.
Do figures or Braille scale. Or both! I live in a two bed bungalow with my work bench tucked into one corner of the sitting room, and my models in the other. I'm happily divorced though so I don't have to fight anyone for space. Just my son who mainly infests his bedroom, or occasionally the sofa.

_20190404_183147.JPG
_20190404_182720.JPG

Latest Threads