How do they conduct this bleep test?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by P-Ride, Aug 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I took out my MP3 player and a 20m piece of string with a stake at each end to the field this morning - and gave it a good go.

I went under the principle that once I missed a beep twice, I was out, and got into level 8 - I still had some stamina left, but was struggling to keep up with the speed at this point.

- Firstly, I have now read you are not out until you miss two bleeps by around two metres. Is this true of the AOSB method?

- Is the AOSB bleep test conducted inside, and if so, is this any easier? (I was in a cow-patted, uneven field)

- How big a gap in training is there between level 8 and 10?

Although I am 4/5 of the way to level 10, clearly the progression through these levels is not directly proportional.

Each monday I alternate between a 1.5 mile run or a bleep test, just to gauge myself - then Wednesday and Friday I do a 3 mile. I'm going to increase Friday to 4.5 mile soon.

Any more tips on increasing my bleep test would be appreciated - sadly I live in Cambridgeshire, so there is not a hill in sight!

2. I heard that the bleep test is a good asessment but not much good for a training session, as it isn't long enough for a proper work out. I'm training by doing increasing numbers of laps of a nearby football pitch with one side of it being a sprint, just to keep it knackering and getting me used to speed. I do a bleep test every three weeks or so, you needn't be more frequent than that.

3. That's why I have my two 3 mile runs.

They are on flat ground, but if there is anything I can do to make them more useful for bleep test, it would be appreciated. I'm presuming some form of pyramid training?

It's a 4 sided field and I run before breakfast, if these things are useful to know.

My bleep test is currently my no.1 priority - most other areas are progressing well.

I'm doing weights 3 days a week and running 3 days a week (including my alternating Monday bleep/1.5 mile test) so any good advice on increasing my bleep without compromising weight lifting too much would be great.

4. Bleep test is conducted on what appears to be an old tennis court so a level concrete surface outside. As for the rest of your questions I dont really have an answer Im sure someone will in a minute.

5. That in itself is a useful piece of information - hopefully the surface will provide me with a slight edge on the day. Thanks.

6. You are given two warnings, on the third you're out. A warning is given for failing to touch the line, not sure where you got the 2m rule from.

7. I honestly wouldn't bother worrying about or practising the bleep test and keep your concentration on the 1.5 mile run. If you are able to pass a standard 1.5 mile PFT then you can walk a bleep test with one lame foot as it's not an accurate reflection of how you would run the 1.5 miles. I know of at least 3 individuals who can pass a bleep test yet cannot complete a PFT in less than 10.30.

Most people see a PFT that incorporates a bleep test instead of the 1.5 mile run as a gift anyway. ;)

8. Bleep test is outside on a level piece of concrete, similar to your old school playground. You're stopped once you reach the allocated level. You are given two warnings before and third one and dismissal. Warning are given for failing to get to the white line, regardless of how close you are.

At the briefing it is carried out in a jump suit, and from what I've heard at main board you do it in your standard running kit. At my briefing I failed at level 8.6 but had no chance to prepare for it, due to the fact I had sustained an injury in rugby preventing most training, for the briefing failing the beep test is not the end of the road. I just got a three month delay to boost my fitness.

Hope this helps and good luck

9. My 1.5 mile run time is 11:50 on my field at the moment - not at all great, but I'm confident I can get it down.

When I first came back from holiday it was just over 13 minutes! I've taken it down to 11:50 in several weeks - I am aiming to get it under 11:00 in the next couple of months.

I've got decent CV and a resting BPM of around 57, but I'm 5'9" and have very heavy, short legs.

Any tips on my running routine would be appreciated!

10. And thanks SebaSmith - it sounds like I don't have to much to lose by going for my briefing, would be great to see how I perform on the day!

11. Are you sure about that number? :?

12. Oops, 57 - corrected!

13. Well my small tip would be to learn to breathe properly as you run. Get that right and it becomes much easier. When your running you should never ever get a stitch, if you do its a good indicator your not getting your breathing right.

It's impossible for me to tell you how to breathe properly when your running as everybody is different and what works for me probably wont work for you. It's all about how you regulate and pace your breathing though. If it has a regular pace and rhythm it helps get the oxygen around the body more efficiently.

14. My bold - That's an inordinately grand statement to make. You would have a very serious argument from the School Of Physical Training on that opinion. Considering the 20 odd years it's been in the system, you might have stopped to wonder why it's been kept in place, were it not an accurate reflection of a 1.5 mile run time / level standard.
    We adopted it from the old RUC / PSNI recruit physical tests for a ferking good reason. I'm too long out of the services to give any opinion as to what regard the current system give this test. I pretty damn sure that your level reached on this test will very accurately reflect a PFT time.

15. As long as you are confident you will do well in all the other aspects of the briefing then go for it. The way i saw it was a three months delay was nothing, seeing as most paper work takes around two months to go through according to my ACA. The fact is my delay expires in a few days, yet due to paper work issues I can't sit my main board till October!

If you are not confident in the other categories then I would not risk rushing your briefing as you don't want the fitness to make you stand out even further.