How do I.....?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Ghost_Rider, Feb 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do you want to put a picture in your message? Don't know how to send/receive private messages? Then this is the place to ask.

There are many people on this site who do know how to use the features above (and many more). Make it easy for people to help you by posting your question/problem in here. As a wise man once said, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask....
    [marq=left]
    So, if you want to add graphics to your signature block, or create a scrolling marquee, just ask the question here!![/marq]

Ghostie

2. I was always to embarrassed to ask :roll:

3. Well, don't be. If you don't want to ask in public, (and this applies to anyone), send me a pm. I'll probably post the reply in here, so that everyone else who is afraid to ask can see the answer (but I'll keep the identity of the person asking the question private!).

Ghost

4. Hi ghostrider, I,ve been emailed a picture which I would like to use as my avatar. How do I do it please ?? If you could put the answer in easy to follow stages it would be much appreciated as I am a complete & utter arrse when it comes to anything to do with computers. My 6 yo daughter shows me up on these things. Thanks in advance.

LT.

5. Good idea, but doesn't the topic deserve a forum all of its own. Otherwise it'll end up as hundreds of pages that nobody will read and the questions will be repeated.

Are the questions only to be site-related or can they be all-encompassing?

Just wondering as I've had a Garmin eTrex for many years and would like to download some of the stored tracks and waypoints. I've now got a download cable (eTrex - serial) but the laptop hasn't got a serial port. I've also got a serial - USB adaptor but that has installed itself as Port 10. The eTrex manual says that eTrex will only recognise Ports 1 - 8. Presumably because of this, the laptop doesn't recognise the eTrex, despite me having clicked on something that I thought would tell the adaptor to think it was on Port 2. Just what can be done with the download cable anyway? The eTrex manual doesn't explain this, there is no detail with the cable, the Garmin website has no detailed information and the support staff at Garmin seem cagey about giving out information (seem keen to flog me a more expensive GPS, though). Any answers need to be simple as I've lost the ability to programme the telly and video, suggesting that I've entered the world of techno-senility.

6. how do i have a 'word' that links to the site/page i'd like to send peeps to?

Beebs x

7. Cheers Puttees.....you are so clever....if you cant add a helpful post then why bother at all, are you bored? Not everyone is so adept with a pc as you are. :x

8. msr

msr LE

When you post a reply, click on the sixth icon along (looks like a world with wings).

In the first box, put in the URL you want to link to (then click OK) and in the second, the words you want highlighted.

Hope this helps.

msr

9. msr

msr LE

Easy answer - find a friend who has a serial port on their PC and use that.

msr

10. Beebs,

I didn't dare reply to your post for fear of a wwwwwaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

regards
    Sparky

11. I've always just pressed all the buttons & waited to see what happens...

[​IMG]

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops! :oops: :lol:

12. Nope!

Now how do I get the lines to scroll across the screen?

Beebs x

13. msr

msr LE

I do my best ;)

Now would you like to delete the index.html from your www icon, as it doesn't link to anything...

msr