How do i sort out 58 pattern webbing?

Hi. Just had my webbing for cadets issued and got the bits together, one razorblade in the candyfloss though. Its british 58 pattern I think, some kind of heavy canvas with metal clips and stuff, and I have NO idea how to assemble it. Any hints?
Cheers :)

Crikey, Tropp. does that bring the memories back, or what!

shit I remember getting 38 pattern in JLR RAC

And having to boot polish it black

Get the belt properly adjusted first - should go over your waist on '58, make sure it's nice and snug. Make sure that the loops are on the bottom.

Put the ammo pouches on so that they're part in front, part to the side of your body (so that when you go prone, you don't have a magazine/gentleman vegetable interface).

Put the yoke on, so that it holds the belt up.

Bugger around putting all the other stuff on.

On my first tour in Britannia we had this gear

Attachments

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
ammo pouches round to the sides so you can lie flat and zip tie the pouches on

In reply to the original question:

Half a pint of petrol and a match.
Sorry for being an arrse - couldn't resist it!

Joking apart, the biggest problem with this kit is the inability to adjust the belt size easily (and also, it shrinks when it's wet). Back in the day you could buy a roll-pin belt (not sure if you can still get them?) that meant you could tighten or loosen the belt whilst wearing it.

If you can get hold of one of those in place of the issued belt before you put the stuff together, it will enhance your comfort no end.

I think you mean '37 pattern. I was still wearing that at the end of the 70s

And we had to blanco ours in a light green colour
My Dad was still using 37 patt 'till the 70's also, he gave it to us as kids to play with, I used the Large pack as a school bag as a hand me down from my eldest brother, it fell to bits.
A couple of months ago another brother chipped up that he had it still in his loft, should've seen the old mans face when we gave it back to him still with his number penned under the flaps of the pouches!

Thanks for the advice :) ive got most of it sorted out, where would I get one of those roll pin belts? Ive had a look in the stores and an army surplus shop, but they don't seem to have much:p

Back in the day you could buy a roll-pin belt (not sure if you can still get them?) that meant you could tighten or loosen the belt whilst wearing it.
I think that a PLCE roll-pin belt should work with '58, although it might be a bit of a bugger attaching the pouches and yoke to it, and you might have difficulty attaching the poncho roll.