How do I get [I]my[/I] MBE ?

1.) Find something that works.

2.) FUBAR it in the name of diversity/PC buzzword du jour.

Jobbed.

Pffft the last job I was on in a certain Middle Eastern conflict zone, there were 5 UK staff including me, working at the same level, I was out there for 2 years almost solid, the others came out for a few months each. 3 of them got an OBE, me and the guy who'd been out the least didn't! I guess I was too busy doing the job rather than kissing ambassadorial arse!
Bitter? Me? Nah! :D (Would be interested to know who I pissed off though)

E2A one who got it never even set foot in the country in question but spent his time sunning himself in a neighbouring country!

Had a semi bounce on a DZ I was at as a reservist when the bloke fired his reserve into a square main without cutting away. Saw it all going to ratshit and took off across the DZ to get to where he was going to hit. Got there a few seconds after impact and he was out, covered in blood and not breathing so managed to get his airway cleared and more or less jump start respiration.

Fat medic came waddling up a minute or three after I'd got the bloke going, along with a few others and then stood around hyperventilating until the medevac chopper arrived with the ops medics and took the bloke away. She managed to blag a ride on the chopper to the hospital and that was the last of it as far as I was concerned.

About a year later I got a call to attend a parade so had a shave and a haircut and rolled up as ordered. Fat medic was also there in full sparkly hat and starched undies. She got a gong, I got a bit of paper saying attaboy for holding her handbag while she labored under extreme conditions to save the bloke's life.

Just proves that NSMs are damned near invisible.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
PF got bags - as long as they couldn't praat swart of Engels.
If your lips moved and anything other than Die Taal emerged, you were destined for the void...

As you know there were were certain exceptions, and they were so outstanding even the Romans couldn't ignore them.

SALM & SAV were apparently human from what Tonto said.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
We've all seen them, seniors or offrs spending all their waking hours trying to work out how to get a bit of tin without putting themselves in personal danger.
On the Cerakote thread @MR_R_SOLE told of a woodentop badge o/c good ideas, and a QM who desperately wanted something to hang next to his attendance badges.
Doesn't have to be about gongs, there's promotions, cash, cars, and of course the ubiquitous fish socket as aspirations/bait.
Now who are you going to grass up ?
A bloke I went to school with got one, as a junior technician in Crab Air (equiv to a half screw from what I can gather). I asked him what he got it for and he answered "oh just helping out"; true dit.

PF got bags - as long as they couldn't praat swart of Engels.
If your lips moved and anything other than Die Taal emerged, you were destined for the void...

As you know there were were certain exceptions, and they were so outstanding even the Romans couldn't ignore them.

SALM & SAV were apparently human from what Tonto said.
Viss are troo.

'Blue skies, black death' Tonto. Mad fucker. His ex missus used to bash the goiter at the brewery.

SALM and SAV may have been human but they were still soft cunts. I flew a contract in Angolsch with a bunch of the buggers and had to spend hours listening to their war stories about flying over the place back in the oorlog. Apparently, actually being on the ground humping a rifle about in the weeds wasn't nearly as ally as floating about 20k feet above it all in air conditioned comfort. Cunts.

Only serving BEM I knew was a senior NCO at Knightsbridge. It was something to do with the Hyde Park Bombings, he chucked himself under the Standard/Colours or something to ensure they didn't 'fall'.

Seems quite worthy.
Soon as that came on the radio we hurled ourselves into hiding in lockers to avoid guard. I'm sure we weren't the only ones as we were from saturn.

This is an interesting thread that has made me think quite a bit about the people I know, or at least I have met, who have had gongs apart from the ones I have already mentioned:

1. MBE. Long-term TA WRAC and R Signals, made Maj LE, but not military division gong, Years of unpaid case-work for a mil charity got it for her.

2. MBE. Old school mate. Long serving JP.

3. BEM. Belfast native, Secret Squirrel for a while during Banner, got out just as he was rumbled.

4. BEM. Organised cross-country team at AA Coll Harrogate as was, that wiped the floor in Army Junior Champs. Was himself a considerable athlete.

5. BEM new style, as opposed to the old rank-specific one we once knew. Long-serving senior Fire Officer.

I wouldn't presume to comment on the worthiness of any of the above, except No 5, the only individual I didn't know really well, and I think his is almost an insult.

I liked all of them and would buy any a pint any time I met them without a second thought.

I also once knew someone who is now a member of the House of Lords. Hmmm. He can buy his own.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Viss are troo.

'Blue skies, black death' Tonto. Mad fucker. His ex missus used to bash the goiter at the brewery.

SALM and SAV may have been human but they were still soft cunts. I flew a contract in Angolsch with a bunch of the buggers and had to spend hours listening to their war stories about flying over the place back in the oorlog. Apparently, actually being on the ground humping a rifle about in the weeds wasn't nearly as ally as floating about 20k feet above it all in air conditioned comfort. Cunts.
Tokyo's ex will cross the bar (again) next time I'm there. :)

But reference SALM, Koos Krokodil might have been more flexible these days if he'd been several thousand feet higher, but after a couple of dops he admitted that both the sit and nickname got him more doos than was good for a poor young muzungu.

I had no idea that this excuse for an artist was allowed into the Royal Presence dressed like a tit. I see however that he was given the male version of the Order and not the female one on a bow suspension.

Cue howls of outrage when someone decides to publicly refuse a decoration because it does not match their gender that day.