How do I fix too much tomato paste in a recipe?

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Yup, rookie error, but then I am a beginner so there you go. The problem is, it's quite a lot of meat and will be a hell of a waste if I can't fix tone down the tomato taste. It's a bolognaise and has beef stock and wine in, google suggests either watering it down or adding more stock, has anyone here actually tried this and does it work?

Donny

ADC
Remove some of the sauce and replace with stock to the consistency you want. Taste and repeat if necessary. There’ll still be a strong taste of tomato on the meat but it’ll be balanced by the salty stock.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Ok, I'll give it a go. Thank you! I'll try the water first, if that doesn't work I'll simmer it down a bit and add some stock. It can't end up worse than it is now.

Add more meat to reduce the percentage of tomato in the dish.
You'll possibly get tired of eating it over the next few days but that will remind you not to mess up next time.

Ladle out half the sauce and freeze it for another day. Top up with water.
been there, done that.
Wot 'E said.
I think we've all made the mistake of too much tomato sauce.

Whatever you do in the future, read the recipe carefully.. I'm numerically dyslexic.. A recipe said 3-4 cloves... I put in 34.

964ST

War Hero
Slow cook it? It can be a long time, and good! Or a very long time and very good. As long as the pasta is already not included?

Wot 'E said.

Whatever you do in the future, read the recipe carefully.. I'm numerically dyslexic.. A recipe said 3-4 cloves... I put in 34.
Fecking Hell! How many bulbs is that?
You could hire yourself out as a paint stripper after eating that many.

964ST

War Hero
Wot 'E said.

You will be safe! Maybe not from COVID! But Safe from Vampires :)

Whining Civvy

War Hero
It's on a very slow simmer at the moment, I'll give it a taste in 20 mins and see how it's going. From this thread I understand that I should add more of any included liquids that don't taste of tomato. I'll try not to drink all the wine first...

I think we need a professional on this, can someone ask @Joker62

if he knows one :-D

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I would try adding a little bit of sugar, it always augments any recipe with tomato in it.

964ST

War Hero
To be honest if your ingredients are as per the recipe that you are following? Then normally just adding water should bring it back!? You have reduced the sauce to an intensity that has all the flavors but is lacking moisture!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wot 'E said.

Had a friend who, on making his first curry did not know the difference between a clove and a bulb of garlic.
3 bulbs of garlic later.
The young lady invited for dinner was a bit overwhelmed as he opened the door to her.

And the technical term is dyscalculia

Wot 'E said.

Our neighbour added the correct number, it was just unfortunate that she didnt know what a clove of garlic was - hence the addition of 2 bulbs of garlic.
I expect it was a similar taste (for want of a better term)

Edit it appears to be a common mistake

I would try adding a little bit of sugar, it always augments any recipe with tomato in it.

Yes, that reduces any acidity. The other problem might be the thickness of the sauce caused by the paste. Easily remedied by adding a little water. The excess sauce can be ladled or sieved off for use at another time.

I've never found too much tomato paste to be up there in the pantheon of culinary disasters, really. It's something very forgiving. Did the OP accidentally tip in a bucketful of it?

Latest Threads