How do i clean dessies

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BBear, Sep 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Look.... WAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Now thats out of the way, how do i set about cleaning desert boots. I have no idea what would be best/harm them. Covered in mud, tried a going over with water and stiff brush but not that great...any ideas??? Thanks!

2. Having had a "Middle Eastern Shoeshine" on Desert Boots .The elements used were lighter fuel and a wire brush.Once the fuel had dried(evaporated) and I felt safe to smoke again,I was quite impressed by the end result (only cost about 30p)

3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

You need a proper suede brush.

4. When the mud is dry, use a nail brush to remove the big bits, then try using a rubber (an eraser) to get the rest off. It doesn't leave water marks

5. Get a big knife, rip a hole in the side of the boots and return them to stores and say-they're crap and I need new ones.

6. Once you've got the worst of the mud off with a brush, use suede shampoo several times with a lint free rag.
    Though it doesn't seem to work too well on red grape juice :?

7. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Washing machine - but I reccomend you use somebody elses (not mine not yours and not the wifes') When their done cover them in Nixwax

9. Have you tried Pampers baby wipes? Not mad.......they have kept my pink Timberlands clean for 3 years! Little known secret that babywipes are great stain removers. And because they are gentle to little botties while having to remove VERY bad stains and messes they wont strip any colour from material. Sorry that was a really girly post! :( Far too many nappies in my life I fear !

10. One gets ones Batman to clean the Boots, spiffing.

11. If you've got nasty stains, and you can find one, try an ink rubber.
    The kind you used to get in school that are dark grey wih a large grain.

12. Dont goto the Desert then they wont need cleaning.