how do I claim my 6 Months Free Road Tax and MOT?

as Johhny Foreigner has 6 Months to get His (6 Months Grace?) doesn't He/She?

so why don't I?, I want my Free Tax and MOT Please!, after all if not this is Discrimination isn't it?

don't forget that NO ONE is above the Law, or are they?

and another thing, how come they have Valid Insurance without either valid Tax or MOT as we don't?

Easy, buy and register a car in a foreign country, then import it to UK. Repeat every six months. Swarthy looks, dodgy maroon suit and plumbing skills optional.

Unless things have changed since I last brought a car into the country, it is three months. I believe it is the same for taking cars into other countries as well.

Just another bigotted thread

Sven said:
Unless things have changed since I last brought a car into the country, it is three months. I believe it is the same for taking cars into other countries as well.

You can always rely on Sven to take the PARTY line. Are you trying for one of Tony's last gasp honours mate?

rebel_with_a_cause said:
Sven said:

You can always rely on Sven to take the PARTY line. Are you trying for one of Tony's last gasp honours mate?
I suggest that the line is one of being against bigotry - any right minded Tory or Labour voter would say the same thing.

As to Tonys honours, I think I'd have to do a damned sight more than pull up a few facist threads

No Sven it is 6 months,

Nodigitsever I dont get free tax and MOT here for that six months, I had to get a technical Inspection before I brought it here,
So technically speaking I can prove that as a 'visitor' my car is taxed and tested.

We dont have road tax as such in CZ, you buy new number plate stickers (just like the little stickers on boxhead motors) heres the rub though, they last for two years and cost a total of about £20..... :)

If the car is imported permanently then it should be registered as soon as possible - the DVLA doesn't give a time limit. If brought into the country from an EU country on a temperary basis then it allowed six months on a visitor basis. People bringing cars from non EU countries have to prove their temperary status and are given a paper which states the date they have to remove their cars.

All cars still have to comply with the vehicle safety laws.

A vehicle that is permanently imported for use in Great Britain (GB) must be registered and taxed as soon as possible after it arrives in the country. The vehicle should not be used or kept on public roads until the registration and vehicle tax formalities have been completed.
However, if the vehicle needs to have a single vehicle approval (SVA) or MOT test in order to be registered, the vehicle may be driven to and from the pre-arranged test appointment. Thereafter, the vehicle must be kept off the road until the registration formalities have taken place.

Application for registration should be made to your nearest Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office. It is not possible to offer an 'over the counter service', registration usually takes between 48 to 72 hours.
From: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...icle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022583

But also:
There are international agreements which provide for the temporary use of a vehicle in a foreign country for a limited time, usually six months in a 12 month period. A visitor to the UK may use a vehicle displaying foreign plates, provided that all taxes (including vehicle excise duty) are paid in their country of origin.
If a vehicle bearing foreign plates is stopped by the police, it is the responsibility of the keeper to demonstrate that he or she is eligible to use the vehicle in the UK without registering and taxing it.
From: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...cle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_10014623

Edited to add:

European Union vehicles
It is the responsibility for the driver to prove how long the vehicle has been in the country. This can be achieved by producing ferry tickets. Used or unregistered vehicles brought into the UK will be allowed to circulate freely for six months in any 12 month period without the need to register. Certain vehicles will be required to display a temporary 'Q' plate. Temporary visitor status is not appropriate to these vehicles.
From: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...cle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_10014623

European Union vehicles
It is the responsibility for the driver to prove how long the vehicle has been in the country. This can be achieved by producing ferry tickets. Used or unregistered vehicles brought into the UK will be allowed to circulate freely for six months in any 12 month period without the need to register. Certain vehicles will be required to display a temporary 'Q' plate. Temporary visitor status is not appropriate to these vehicles.
So all you need to do is a beer/fag run to France every 6 months to renew your ferry ticket evidence!

Latest Threads