How do I address a female Vicar in conversation?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by PapaGolf, Nov 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No its not the start to a shit joke, I know some Regimental Padres' who are female are happy to be addressed as such, but as Padre means Father, I don't want to risk appearing rude, when my local civvy female vicar christens my daughter. Her formal title is Canon, so do I address her as that? Helpful! advice would be greatly appreciated
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bish-WAH
  3. if you are on good enough terms for her to be christening your daughter surely you are on good enough terms to address her by her christian name
  4. Madre?
    • Like Like x 3
  5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Call her by her name!

Putting priests on pedestals is where it all started to go wrong! next thing you know they were in cahoots with the aristocracy and we had a thousand years of being told don't worry about your shite life on earth you'll get your rewards in heaven whilst the lord of the manor and the vicar lived the high life. fucking christian church has a lot to answer for, at least the druids only got you stoned and drunk smashed your skull in, cut your throat and dumped you face down into a pond. Now that's a religion.
    • Like Like x 11
  6. msr

msr LE

Just not 'Bishop'
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Fuck, beaten to it!
  8. If she's a Canon, you just call her 'Canon'. Or anything else if you can get away with it...but 'Canon' is correct.
  9. Woman becomes Army's fifth ever female padre (From Oxford Mail)

Stick with Padre until you get to know her and then just "Vic"
  10. Treacle

or alternatively

Vicar or first name if you know them.
  11. Firmly as you would a dog, if she fails to respond a few strokes from a riding crop should bring her in to line.
    • Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. 'Indoctrinating, parasitic, patronising, amoral, bullshitter' should suffice.
    • Like Like x 3