How did your family take the news?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Odus, Jun 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, so i will be applying for the army in around September (not told family yet), i just wanted to know from previous experience how did your family take the news when you told them you were applying and how did you go about it?

2. From a mums point of view.

You have to let your children decide for themselves what they want to do in life.I am always going to be there for both my sons no matter what i will support them.

They are still young,19 and 17 both are now serving and i am extremely proud of them both.Having said that i still miss them like crazy alot of the time.Their choice though,end of.

3. I think my dad will be alot more supportive than my mother. He is an advocat of raising me to be disciplined, respectful and i think he would be proud that i want to serve my country. My mother however said to my brother a couple of years ago she had no problem with him in the RAF or Navy, but not the Army (he went onto working in Asda and is now a manager). She assumes that in the Army, recruits are likely to be beaten and bullied every day then get killed, slightly closeminded of her but she is my mum at the end of the day.

I'm hoping by the time i'm physically fit and ready to apply she will be more supportive of me doing something with my life that she can be proud of me for.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

4. Well, I'm 20 years old, and will be applying next year after I finish college.
    I told my mom and she told me not to simply because of how much you get paid for the dangers in you job. I realized that but there was actually an article in the paper yesterday which said Traffic Wardens get paid more than Squaddies.

When a private is enlisted they get paid around $12,525 until Level 1 Private when they get a raise to about £16,500.
    Theatre of War: Afghanistan
    Dangers include: rockets, mines, suicide bombers
    Training: 24 weeks selection

As for Traffic Wardens they get paid around £20,000
    Theatre of War: your local neighbourhood
    Dangers include: dog poo, pavement cracks, angry drivers
    Training: 1 day assessment

It's things like this that have been changing my decision...

5. Its not really about the pay if you are doing a job you want to be doing though right? I'd settle for less money to be doing a job i really want to do. If you are living in the Army, you wont be consuming as much money as you would as a civvie (if im not mistaken), so the pay isnt as bad as it is made out (unless im mistaken which is probably right).

6. My mum was in the R.A.F. my dad was in the R.A.F. and Navy so there chuffed that I'm giving my life to the military :D Don't think my bro is too happy, he thinks I'm wasting my time 8O Generally everyone else thinks I'm doing something useful with my life

7. Dad was proud, Mum worried and proud. Only downside is now they nag the fkuc out of me about my training now and i get disapproving looks every time i go near the kitchen. Not sure if they mean well or just want to get shot of me. :)

8. I'm not in yet.

But by the time september comes...I won't be put off by that traffic warden bullshit.

That has got to be one of the most bum jobs in the world. No excitment at all.

9. I will bet a pound to a pinch of sh1t that your parents will be as proud as anything at your passing out parade. There may be some initial resistance to you joining (most likely from your mum but not definite). Yet once you are "in" I reckon they will use the full bragging rights that most parents have who have a "child" serving. Parents and grandparents of serving soldiers tend to tell one and all about their little Johnny and what he is doing.*

* Yes ladies this also applies to females that serve, I just could not be arrsed to make my post more PC.

10. Yea i kinda figured they would be against it, but then at the passing out parade they would be proud of me. Right now they are trying to push me into computing jobs. I'm extremely good with computers but its not the life i want. Sitting on a computer all day just isnt exciting to me anymore, i'd rather be running up a mountain with a grand paino strapped to my back. Shame they dont seem to understand that.

11. It's important to let them know that you have been thinking about it for a while and seriously thought about the pros and cons. I am going for Royal Engineers because of the trade aspect which they are fine with. A trip to your local AFCO could be all they need to be convinced this is something you really want to do and not just an impulse decision.

Oh and also it doesn't matter if a traffic warden earns more, it's a lame job 8)

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

1981 and my mum drove to ACIO to ensure that I signed on!

13. I joined up straight out of high school, and considering what I'd been involved in before that (a lot of theatre and arts stuff) it came as a bit of a shock to my mum. She only questioned me once as to whether I knew what i was getting into and if I really wanted to - after I'd told her that I did, she was happy with it, as was my dad - they both just wanted to see me happy. 2 years on, they're both happy with the way it's shaped my development, and have commented on the effect it's had with my maturity and ability to handle shitty situations.

14. I told my Dad I was joining the day I left for basic. I also told him I crapped in the front seat of his Cortina and called him a cnut. Never spoke to him again after that and luckily he died a few years later. Poke it fat boy!

15. When I joined, many years ago, my dad was chuffed as naffi breaks, my mum was worried as hell, then she came around (after about 2 weeks when she knew i wasn't coming home) especially at passing out parade.
    When my son joined, all i said to him was "sure?" and left it at that, and at his passing out parade I was proud as feck.