How did you get promoted?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
This was not the British Army I saw recently. At all. Quite the opposite.

I'm also suspicious about drawing that conclusion from Lawrence, Wingate, Stirling etc. At best, the Army was benevolently negligent and just ignored them, at worst it actively tried to suppress them just with less vigour and success than they did otherwise.
Alas, you have taken a jokey comment on MrBane's alleged eccentricity at more than face value.

I have not served in the British Army since 2008 - I expect your own service is more recent ?

I am sure much has changed in our brave new Woke world. GSOH plainly SNLR.

If the National Trust, as an example, returned to its previous policy of ' benevolent neglect ' , then I for one would be a happier Forest-dweller.

In the words of the Prophet ( Mrs Cake)

' I expect your right dear.....put the kettle on . ' :-D

964ST

LE
Bet they had little respect for you though.
Remember REME had to Also do our Regiments Cadre course for Lance Jack. Had an Instrument tech on ours. Came a well deserved last...still got promoted. Was really a crap soldier and from what I heard not that great at his trade either. As a person a good lad but it's just wrong Promotion because of trade rather than real quality. Even a REME VM I spoke to thought the same about it. At least the VMs I met were Mature Cpls. Earned their rank.
Hi Jim, you are correct it is pretty outragous that Tech Trades get Pushed to achieve the Grades required to get promotion at a tempo that is not compatibale with other REME trades:(. But if you are inserted or extracted by a Lynx in NI (or anywhere !) you have to realise that The Aircraft is doing that job for a reason! Seviceability!

By the time I was a Sgt (BAT), I had done 3 Ireland tours,

The (fücking insanely big and heavy) chap that had a seriously injured leg when the bomb went of in a protest march whilst on a heli-telie sortie ( that caused a self inflicted (terminal:( causualty of the perpertraitors), was picked up by some waste of space BAT!
That the British Soldier Casualty complained??

When we exited the aircraft (which swiftly fücked off!) carrying him to the local (not friendly) hospital and were being spat at by the staff!

THAT he complained about a Tech Trade REME not cutting the mustard, struggling to get attention from medical staff

Have a more Balanced? view on life! LOSE BOTH CHIPS.

Last edited:
Hi Jim, you are correct it is pretty outrages that Tech Trades get Pushed to achieve the Grades required to get promotion at a tempo that is not compatibale with other REME trades:(. But if you are inserted or extracted by a Lynx in NI (or anywhere !) you have to realise that The Aircraft is doing that job for a reason! Seviceability!

By the time I was a Sgt (BAT), I had done 3 Ireland tours,

The (fücking insanely big and heavy) chap that had a seriously injured leg when the bomb went of in a protest march whilst on a heli-telie sortie ( that caused a self inflicted (terminal:( causualty) of the perpertraitors, was picked up by some waste of space BAT! That he complained??

When we excited the aircraft (which swiftly fücked off!) carrying him to the local (not friendly) hospital and were being spat at by the staff!

THAT he complained about a Tech Trade REME not cutting the mustard, struggling to get attention from medical staff

Have a more Balanced? view on life! LOSE BOTH CHIPS.

What year were you on H-T? Ever come across a scaley Sgt Bob B********?

REME Techy type, so promotion was by not ******* up. It did prove interesting a couple of times when working at a Joint Service unit with the RAF, leading a section where some of the Corporals had been Corporals for longer than I'd been in the Army.
I worked with RAFP, some had been corporals longer than I'd been born!!! XD

964ST

LE
I am surprised (and my wife unimpressed!) when I am watching "police interceptors" or "traffic cops" that A fair few members of the air unit are peeps I used to work with :)

TamH70

MIA
I am surprised (and my wife unimpressed!) when I am watching "police interceptors" or "traffic cops" that A fair few members of the air unit are peeps I used to work with :)

Oh, l am currently watching a double bill of the former show on Paramount Network at the moment. Emperor Mong's handiwork writ large.

I've spotted a couple of my former RMP colleagues, then again, that's not too surprising is it? XD

964ST

LE
I've spotted a couple of my former RMP colleagues, then again, that's not too surprising is it? XD
My cousin (ex RMP) was pretty high up in Northern Contabulary (now well retired!), and had a lot to do with the western Island communities "Not a Popular Chap to the Locals!".

Made my mums (west coaster) funeral in Inverness and wake, a very interesting "meeting of minds"!!

OH Well! Brilliant Piss-up :)

GreatDane

Clanker
Joined RMP after serving in infantry battalion did course at Chichester became Lcpl, went to Berlin passed full screws course but my RSM held my promotion back 6 months as I wouldn’t drop an investigation into his drinking buddy.
Eventually got my second when the knob left and now 6 months behind in promotion league.

Was posted to Catterick and headed up a UIE unit after SIB attachment,which I resigned from after seeing corrupt practices, interestingly the guy that was doing it was last I heard a senior officer.

Got a posting to Cyprus where our Chief clerk would frequently drink drive so I caught him at it, he was arrested and the blood that was taken interestingly became contaminated.

Posted to Munster and when there ended up as Sgt at Regimental Training Wing in Osnabruck teaching law, Pira tactics etc.

Used to run the promotion courses from lcpl to Cpl, on one occasion I refused to pass a lcpl as he couldn’t read a map. After I was ordered to retest him on two other occasions he again failed miserably, was then ordered by CO to pass him.

Ended back in Catterick coming top of my class at Pl commanders course and due promotion to SSgt, on an accelerated promotion ladder, whilst on duty a young soldier came into duty room in tears and blood streaming from his arms where he had tried to top himself.

After a cup of tea later and dressing his wounds I had him taken to the local Military Hospital to be cared for, unfortunately for me the young duty officer couldn’t relate to him and he trashed the place.

I was then hauled up and made to write a further military report on my actions, I ensured that the lads and the young soldier were covered and went into great detail the law and the mental health act, finishing the report with the statement that should any disciplinary action be taken against myself or anyone involved in the incident then I would defend myself in an elected Courts Martial.

The very next night I knew what was coming my way when I was told that my promotion had been permanently stopped by the RSM. Unfortunately for them or me I taped the whole meeting and made a formal complaint against the RSM and the Unit.

Within 3 hours I was suspended from duty and from any contact of my platoon, then within two weeks I was put into a dead end job as the MT Sgt. 3 months later I was medically discharged with PTSD when this RSM found out that I had PTSD in the past.

Last edited:

964ST

LE
Joined RMP after serving in infantry battalion did course at Chichester became Laplace, went to Berlin passed full screws course but my RSM held my promotion back 6 months as I wouldn’t drop an investigation into his drinking buddy.

Eventually left and went to Catterick headed up a UIE unit after SIB attachment which I resigned from after seeing corrupt practices, interestingly the guy that was doing it was last I heard a senior officer.

Got a posting to Cyprus where our Chief clerk would frequently drink drive so I caught him at it, he was arrested and the blood that was taken interestingly became contaminated???

Eventually got my second when the knob left and now 6 months behind in promotion league. Various other courses and ended up as Sgt at Regimental Training Wing in Osnabruck teaching law, Pira tactics etc.

Used to run the promotion courses from lcpl to Cpl, on one occasion I refused to pass a lcpl as he couldn’t read a map. After I was ordered to retest him on two other occasions he again failed miserably, was then ordered by CO to pass him.

Ended back in Catterick coming top of my class at Pl commanders course and due promotion to Sgt, whilst on duty a young soldier came into duty room in tears and blood streaming from his arms where he had tried to top himself.

After a cup of tea later and dressing his wounds I had him taken to the local Military Hospital to be cared for, unfortunately for me the young duty officer couldn’t relate to him and he trashed the place.

I was then hauled up and made to write a further military report on my actions, I ensured that the lads and the young soldier were covered and went into great detail the law and the mental health act, finishing the report with the statement that should any disciplinary action be taken against myself or anyone involved in the incident then I would defend myself in an elected Courts Martial.

The very next night I knew what was coming my way when I was told that my promotion had been permanently stopped by the RSM. Unfortunately I taped the whole meeting and made a formal complaint against the RSM and the Unit.

Within 3 hours I was suspended from duty and from any contact of my platoon, then within two weeks I was put into a dead end job as the MT Sgt. 3 months later I was medically discharged with PTSD when this RSM found out that I had PTSD in the past.
When I left I requested the information from Manning and Records in accordance with the data protection act, because I could.

The very extensive collection from the start of my career of old Course Reports, Posting requests, Confidential Reports etc. will maybe help me in the future to piece together WTF! happenned when I become non mentally retentive.

What was (for me at least) of great interest was the handwritten "post-its" that had been copied in situe along with the documents!!
ie. Requests to deny promotion at present unit, this man is not to be granted an extention of service past ROD, CR incomple and wrong format doesn't matter anyway, etc. It filled in a few gaps in my history :):)

He was caught in the floods, he saw my sterling work in keeping the traffic flowing.
You were deflected by a wet blanket?

Latest Threads