How did you get promoted?

TamH70

MIA
Leading Radio Operator( Tactical) - ( Teleprinter ) - a.k.a 'Bunting-tosser', ' Bunts' , 'Flags', 'Wings', 'Yeo' or ' Hey You'

I was a TO (TG). Telecommunications Operator (Telegraph). One of the last cadres to get that trade at Class 2 in the Territorial Army, according to some folks I talked to later. Morse went the way of the dodo not long after I got my class upgrade and pay increment upgrade, so there may have had something to it. I certainly didn't have to use Morse at any stage in my career afterwards until I walked.

No fancy arm badges, though, which pissed me off a bit. Apparently, the capbadge with the dirty naked man holding a stick with wings and a couple of snakes writhing around it, a wingy hat, and wings on his ankles, was enough of a hint to ensure people knew I was a communicator of sorts.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Wavy Navy see - hot showers and three square meals a day.....just don't ask for Baby's Heads with extra red lead, you'll be fine.

Oh....and ' Hands Clean Ship '.........till Henry the Hoover is your best friend.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Second Lieutrenant to Major - promotion came with the rations, time and the odd exam. Trooper to Staff Sgt/Pay Sgt in the HAC was my own stupid fault.

I joined No 2 Home Service Force Company of the HAC in 1991. The commitment was ten days over five weekends supposedly Key Point Defence. THe first exercise was gthe London Div Home Defence exerise in the FIBUA village on Copehill down. Lot sof things that weren't really Key Point Defence, but all jolly stuff but a bit disorganised.

My OC asked me after was what did I think of the exercise. This is where I made a mistake. I should have said nothing. Instead I said that it was all fine if we had the right kit. If we are going to erect barbed wire we shuld have wiring gloves etgc, and "don't we have a crimping tool for joining D 10 instead of twisting the wires." He asked whether I knew about this stiff.

MIstake No2 was to admit I did.

30 seconds later I was local unpaid SSgt CQMS/ Pay Sgt and found myself with Q srtoes with a lot of deficiencies, a commitment to attend every weekend and an introduction into QM world and how to magically transform deficiancies into shiny things on shelves.

Last edited:
I was a TO (TG). Telecommunications Operator (Telegraph). One of the last cadres to get that trade at Class 2 in the Territorial Army, according to some folks I talked to later. Morse went the way of the dodo not long after I got my class upgrade and pay increment upgrade, so there may have had something to it. I certainly didn't have to use Morse at any stage in my career afterwards until I walked.

No fancy arm badges, though, which pissed me off a bit. Apparently, the capbadge with the dirty naked man holding a stick with wings and a couple of snakes writhing around it, a wingy hat, and wings on his ankles, was enough of a hint to ensure people knew I was a communicator of sorts.
When I was a staffy FofS, I ran my own remote hilltop site with about twenty blokes. One day the then SOinC Germany, Maj Gen Davis, came for a visit. While I was showing him around he asked me if I had heard about the proposed cross-flags badges to designate FofS and YofS. It would be red flags for the FofS and blue for the YofS, which was in itself a little disconcerting as, at 8 Sigs, techs were blue tabs and some operators were red. I told him that I didn't like the idea as it marked me out as a person of interest if I was ever captured by the enemy and I was trained in a previous unit to be as grey as possible in that scenario. After a second or so he suggested that if we were ever mobilised for war I could simply remove them. I said something like, "Is that before I collect all the war stock from the mob store or once we get into the field? Anyone who needs to know I am a foreman already knows and everybody else doesn't need to know as it will mean nothing to them. I don't think the idea is very well thought through." He looked at me and said, "It was my idea Foreman."...Oops!

Anyway, we carried on with the visit, the subject was never raised again and no crossed flags ever appeared.

When I was a staffy FofS, I ran my own remote hilltop site with about twenty blokes. One day the then SOinC Germany, Maj Gen Davis, came for a visit. While I was showing him around he asked me if I heard about the proposed cross-flags badges to designate FofS and YofS. It would be red flags for the FofS and blue for the YofS, which was in itself a little disconcerting as at 8 Sigs techs were blue tabs and some operators were red. I told him that I didn't like the idea as it marked me out as a person of interest if I was ever captured by the enemy and I was trained in a previous unit to be as grey as possible in that scenario. After a second or so he suggested that if we were ever mobilised for war I could simply remove them. I said something like, "Is that before I collect all the war stock from the mob store or once we get into the field? Anyone who needs to know I am a foreman already knows and everybody else doesn't need to know as it will mean nothing to them. I don't think the idea is very well thought through." He looked at me and said, "It was my idea Foreman."...Oops!

Anyway, we carried on with the visit, the subject was never raised again and no crossed flags ever appeared.
Mag Gen Paul Davis, if its the same person, was my CO at 1st ADSR in Verden. he who recommended me for 264 Sqn Hereford. 1976-8. :salut:

TamH70

MIA
When I was a staffy FofS, I ran my own remote hilltop site with about twenty blokes. One day the then SOinC Germany, Maj Gen Davis, came for a visit. While I was showing him around he asked me if I had heard about the proposed cross-flags badges to designate FofS and YofS. It would be red flags for the FofS and blue for the YofS, which was in itself a little disconcerting as, at 8 Sigs, techs were blue tabs and some operators were red. I told him that I didn't like the idea as it marked me out as a person of interest if I was ever captured by the enemy and I was trained in a previous unit to be as grey as possible in that scenario. After a second or so he suggested that if we were ever mobilised for war I could simply remove them. I said something like, "Is that before I collect all the war stock from the mob store or once we get into the field? Anyone who needs to know I am a foreman already knows and everybody else doesn't need to know as it will mean nothing to them. I don't think the idea is very well thought through." He looked at me and said, "It was my idea Foreman."...Oops!

Beats my similar dit hands down. I only put my foot in my mouth to a light colonel.

Beats my similar dit hands down. I only put my foot in my mouth to a light colonel.
Try the CO's wife, very politely told to do one when we were organizing the local old folks Christmas do, she breezed in and tried to take over, i spoke up, not knowing who she was, the other lads, bastards, did, and let me get on with it. I just knew i was a dead man walking. ...incredibly, nothing happened. 10 sigs. 1975 :eek:

You may laugh but it happens. Senior Lance Jack Dave H is awaiting the good news as he’s been tipped the wink by his OC but the signal never comes. Across Germany, Richard (no relation) H gets promoted a good year before his cohort. Manning and records never admitted their mistake, just promoted Dave on the “reserve list” after the OC kicked up a storm.

Can confirm this, I had a 896 Sgt Slater and a Sgt 869 Salter in the same Unit in N Ireland.

As one got promoted, the other would duly complain it was a case mistaken identity to the CO, who would subsequently call APC and rant at them. APC, in their confusion, inevitably promoted the other one as well.

Good scam, I think they managed to keep it going until they both made WO2. :grin:

Try the CO's wife, very politely told to do one when we were organizing the local old folks Christmas do, she breezed in and tried to take over, i spoke up, not knowing who she was, the other lads, bastards, did, and let me get on with it. I just knew i was a dead man walking. ...incredibly, nothing happened. 10 sigs. 1975 :eek:
The thing I've learned about these situations over the years is that as long as you are confident, polite and right, there is never any negative comeback. I have made a bit of a habit of speaking truth to power over the years, it's almost a hallmark of my Greenbaggyness and it has stood me in good stead. I have heard afterwards through the grapevine, or sometimes directly, that some of the senior people respected my candour. Two of them, both full colonels, have tried to have me drafted onto their staff when I was due posting, by having a quiet word with Glasgow. Others who worked for me have sometimes told me later that they liked that style of honesty and have partly copied it in their own careers.

As I say, be confident, polite and right and you'll be fine. (Don't be a gobby, opinionated d1ckhead though)

Last edited:
The thing I've learned about these situations over the years is that as long as you are confident, polite and right, there is never any negative comeback. I have made a bit of a habit of speaking truth to power over the years, it's almost a hallmark of my Greenbaggyness and it has stood me in good stead. I have heard afterwards through the grapevine, or sometimes directly, that some of the senior people respected my candour. Two of them, both full colonels, have tried to have me drafted onto their staff when I was due posting, by having a quiet word with Glasgow. Others who worked for me have sometimes told me later that they liked that style of honesty and have partly copied it in their own careers.

As I say, be confident, polite and right and you'll be fine. (Don't be a gobby, opinionated, d1ckhead though)
My bold. I don't think i ever was while in service. However, without the constraints of military protocol and laws, while running jobs on construction sites, a few sharp words in the vernacular that is instantly understood, tailored to the area in which i was working:- from Cornwall to Scotland, usually had the desired effect, conversely praise where due also had the desired effect.

Note:- I have framed on my downstairs kharzi wall ( The only place for them) letters of appreciation from company's for my efforts on their behalf,.......... and a few from the army :salut: .

Last edited:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I got promoted based on three things:

1. My age. I joined at 23, so I had five years head start on those who joined at 18 and were viewed as too young to promote, even if they were capable. Once I hit the LCpl, full-screw came in just under three years if I recall.

2. The attached CR. I achieved a lot in my time, but that CR was definitely the proudest of them all. I was the only Tpr bar maybe one other to get an O1 grade that year in the entire Regiment. See if you can spot the line which indicates "He's a bit of a weird one....".

Telic was a godsend for me, and I worked my arrse off during it, to the noted praise. I remember being stood in the Task Force Spartan office at the back of JHQ in the COB, having come down from the Broadsword flight that evening doing a route map and briefing either a 22 or SRR Captain on an infil route for his lads to put in some technical Ops, and I happened to mention,

"This enclosure near the drop off point has an unconfirmed number of cows in it.."
and the Cpt looks up sharply...
"Tell me more about these cows.."

My mind races to the tune of "What the **** are you on about you mad bastard?" but my mouth went with:
"Bovines are generally docile, however in the presence of humans will either converge or disperse from that person, which would mean a sudden and to the outside observer unexplained rush shift of the herd, including associated noises and disturbance which could compromise any covert insertion."

"Excellent, carry on.."

3. Gobbling huge amounts of boss cock.

My top tip to many who wanted to join though would definitely be, have a shot at life first, and when you do join, if nothing else, you'll have age on your side.

P.S - I never did go for selection. ******* having to work for a living. :D

Attachments

• CR-08.png
    CR-08.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
I got my Cpl stripe during being AWOL. Was in the 22 Sig shooting team . Went to Bisley and no 22 Sigs team ? So attached myself to the 7 Sigs team. OC 22 shooting team , who delayed the team by two days before flying out . He decided as I was not in Lippstadt I must be AWOL. So reported me as such. So when I called my troop SSGT to report in he said .

“ Well you are listed as being AWOL but I know where you are , by the way you are now a full Cpl , stick up the stripe.“

OC shooting team , ex ranker was well pissed off.

1. My age. I joined at 23, so I had five years head start on those who joined at 18 and were viewed as too young to promote, even if they were capable. Once I hit the LCpl, full-screw came in just under three years if I recall.

2. The attached CR. I achieved a lot in my time, but that CR was definitely the proudest of them all. I was the only Tpr bar maybe one other to get an O1 grade that year in the entire Regiment. See if you can spot the line which indicates "He's a bit of a weird one....".

Telic was a godsend for me, and I worked my arrse off during it, to the noted praise. I remember being stood in the Task Force Spartan office at the back of JHQ in the COB, having come down from the Broadsword flight that evening doing a route map and briefing either a 22 or SRR Captain on an infil route for his lads to put in some technical Ops, and I happened to mention,

"This enclosure near the drop off point has an unconfirmed number of cows in it.."

My mind races to the tune of "What the **** are you on about you mad bastard?" but my mouth went with:
"Bovines are generally docile, however in the presence of humans will either converge or disperse from that person, which would mean a sudden and to the outside observer unexplained rush shift of the herd, including associated noises and disturbance which could compromise any covert insertion."

"Excellent, carry on.."

My top tip to many who wanted to join though would definitely be, have a shot at life first, and when you do join, if nothing else, you'll have age on your side.

Well done!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

"Excellent, carry on.."

You'll be the 'slightly eclectic ' MrBane then ?

If there's one thing the British Army is good at, it is allowing weird bastards to flourish - from 'Chinese' Gordon through T.E Lawrence to Orde Wingate.

There is a place for those who can hold the deranged grin whilst surfing the rolling wave of chaos.....

PS BZ on that ASR.....I was on Telic One and did nothing nearly so praiseworthy :-D - narrowly avoided being jailed for insubordination.

Last edited:
REME Techy type, so promotion was by not ******* up. It did prove interesting a couple of times when working at a Joint Service unit with the RAF, leading a section where some of the Corporals had been Corporals for longer than I'd been in the Army.

I was during my time...the longest serving Caporal of our Règiment...bust twice, or was it thrice ?
Anyway, once for 24 hrs (Condor Can confirm but without the détails)
My pay level for my years in my rank was higher than a lot of new promoted Sarges....

Rightsaidfred

On ROPS
On ROPs
I was during my time...the longest serving Caporal of our Règiment...bust twice, or was it thrice ?
Anyway, once for 24 hrs (Condor Can confirm but without the détails)
My pay level for my years in my rank was higher than a lot of new promoted Sarges....
So you was a waster.
Nothings changed then.

Rightsaidfred

On ROPS
On ROPs
REME Techy type, so promotion was by not ******* up. It did prove interesting a couple of times when working at a Joint Service unit with the RAF, leading a section where some of the Corporals had been Corporals for longer than I'd been in the Army.
Bet they had little respect for you though.
Remember REME had to Also do our Regiments Cadre course for Lance Jack. Had an Instrument tech on ours. Came a well deserved last...still got promoted. Was really a crap soldier and from what I heard not that great at his trade either. As a person a good lad but it's just wrong Promotion because of trade rather than real quality. Even a REME VM I spoke to thought the same about it. At least the VMs I met were Mature Cpls. Earned their rank.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You'll be the 'slightly eclectic ' MrBane then ?

If there's one thing the British Army is good at, it is allowing weird bastards to flourish - from 'Chinese' Gordon through T.E Lawrence to Orde Wingate.
This was not the British Army I saw recently. At all. Quite the opposite.

I'm also suspicious about drawing that conclusion from Lawrence, Wingate, Stirling etc. At best, the Army was benevolently negligent and just ignored them, at worst it actively tried to suppress them just with less vigour and success than they did otherwise.

Wee Hawken

War Hero
I'm also suspicious about drawing that conclusion from Lawrence, Wingate, Stirling etc. At best, the Army was benevolently negligent and just ignored them, at worst it actively tried to suppress them just with less vigour and success than they did otherwise.
There were some fairly (even very) senior officers in the Middle East who took the view that Lawrence's consumption of available resources (certainly in the latter part of his campaign) significantly outweighed the resulting benefits.