Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you get promoted?

To be fair to the RRF DS, the name might be the same ( JNCO's Cadre ) but there appears to be a world of difference in the content, between Corps and Infantry JNCO's Cadres.

For sure, but much was. One exercise the Workshop (7 Armd) had moved into some farm. One evening a couple of young infantry types turn turn up with a 432 that needed fixing so they stayed with us for a while. We took them to the cookhouse for rather nice evening meal, three courses all laid on in a nice warm tent after which we went back to the well heated (this was in a BAOR Winter) ERV for a coffee/beer, game of cards etc.

We explained this was how it was for REME Workshops but that we did venture outside for stand-to at sunup and sundown though there was not much else for Techs to go outside for. They were quite amazed by this all and we wondered if when they got back to unit they got busy trying to transfer.

I made a courtesy call on my old OC, whose driver i was for over a year, he pushed some paper work across his desk and said" Sign these and you will be promoted to full corporal tomorrow" I declined, it was a nice offer,

Might be different across Corps.

But my understanding would have been he could have promoted you to Local ( no extra money ) Corporal, it would be, what was then Manning & Records, that would promote you to Acting ( with extra money ) or Sub full Corporal.

So not only did you not perform as a section 2ic by not checking the blokes equipment pre patrol you assaulted a member of your section and then wonder why you were removed from post.........
He was a **** anyway.
Lazy, not very well liked, unfit, and a gobby shite as well. If I hadn't filled him in then the rest of the platoon would have.
Even the CSM was chuffed when he handed his kit in.

Shortly after this I got my tape back.

But my understanding would have been he could have promoted you to Local ( no extra money ) Corporal, it would be, what was then Manning & Records, that would promote you to Acting ( with extra money ) or Sub full Corporal.
This was in 1981, i suspect the "rules" have changed a bit since then.

RTU'd

Old-Salt
I just went on every course I was offered or could apply for.
Then once qualified it seemed it was a case of promote or be acting rank until promoted.
I was never going to be a WO1 as i peed off to many seniors, often being more qualified than them.
CO on my last day said I would be a loss to the regiment, if he had promoted me I would have stayed.

Back in the RCT days we had to do a JMQC (junior Military Qualification Certificate) course before you could get promoted.
My first unit had a policy that you could not do any courses until you had done one of these and for us sprogs this usually got dumped on us after we had been in the unit over a year.
The course is designed as a total f**k around for four weeks and mainly consisted of method of instruction, lots of marching up and down the square, PT, mil skills and generally getting messed around for extended periods.
These courses were held at any major RCT unit with a training wing and some were much worse than others.
I had the misfortune to do mine at 10 Regt RCT at Catterick Barracks in Bielefeld in late 1989, just down from HQ 1(BR) Corps where I was posted, which was widely regarded as the most horrendous you could go on.
The trg wing also had an RM Sgt permanently attached, so the exercise at the end of the course was ‘entertaining’. Issue kit only (KF shirts and 58 pattern webbing) and took place on a freezing Achmer training area in early December. Anyone who remembers those late 80’s winters in Germany will know just how cold it got.
PT was taken by ‘Mac’ McCallum (sp?) who was an army/olympic boxer and were some of the biggest beastings I ever had in the army.
I knew one guy who broke his own hand by punching a wall so he didn’t have to do his JMQC there!

I picked up my first (and only) tape after getting back from Granby. I was B3 lance jack and was told ‘Congratulations L\Cpl Speedy, you are now the most unqualified NCO in the corps'. This was true. I was on my B2 when the Gulf kicked off and they binned the course in the final week. They were supposed to pass us and return us to our units, but this being 10 Regt (again) they decided not to, and I had to go back the following July to finish it. I had no other quals.
The year after I was posted to Belize (no complaints) then was posted to tank transporting (who had had almost half the trade made redundant in Options For Change and were desperately trying to fill the gaps) where I spent my first 6 months in the guardroom because I wasn’t qualified to do anything.
I was then, at my 5 year point put on an A3 course and, once completed, put in charge of a trailer.
By the time I actually became a class 1 soldier and qualified to be a section 2ic I was at my 8 and a half year point. I had been an NCO for over 5 of them.
Then it was back to back Balkans tours before I hit my 11 year point and after being attached to another troop who were busy looking after their own guys and dropped my A grade to a C. I’d had enough.

Also not helped by my bumping into guys I had served with earlier who couldn’t believe I was still a lance jack whilst they were either in, or looking at getting into the sgts mess.

TBF, I have quite a jaded view of army promotion and career management. I was asked why I hadn’t spoken to the RLC manning and records team when they had their annual roadshow (you can request an interview to discuss your ‘career’ if you feel something is going wrong), but seeing as I hadn’t seen one of those since 1993 (I got out in 2000) that wasn’t on the cards.
Not helped by my final years being in a troop that was run with a rod of iron by a SSgt who wouldn’t give anyone a decent grade. No one got promoted beyond L\Cpl for 5 years in that troop!

Still makes me angry today and it’s no wonder I found civvy street such a doddle!

Last edited:

Johned

Old-Salt
Enlisted as a Private soldier and at 17 years service with the rank of Corporal of Horse he is commissioned and winds up a Field Marshall. Yes, I am talking about Field Marshall Sir William (Oor'e "Wully") Robertson; the only one who has ever done it. Educated in a village school, yet is acknowledged as the father of army paperwork. Taking in the timescales for promotion evident in this thread, I doubt Sir Wully could have done it in this day and age!

RedDinger

Old-Salt
I got my Lance Jack in a lucky bag after 11 months, and full screw a year later.

If I'd had to earn them as a proper soldier I would have still been a private when I left.

HCL

Old-Salt
Enlisted as a Private soldier and at 17 years service with the rank of Corporal of Horse he is commissioned and winds up a Field Marshall. Yes, I am talking about Field Marshall Sir William (Oor'e "Wully") Robertson; the only one who has ever done it. Educated in a village school, yet is acknowledged as the father of army paperwork. Taking in the timescales for promotion evident in this thread, I doubt Sir Wully could have done it in this day and age!

Sandbags has rigged the system so it can't be done any more - - jobs for the boys only and all that.

Local Unpaid seems to be a trick that the Artillery played a lot - when I was in the Hebrides, there were a number of Gunner Sergeants who were substansive Lance Bombardiers, acting Bombardiers (either paid or unpaid), Local Sergeant. A number kept extending in the unit in the hopes that they could eventually get paid rank. All REME X trade ranks are substansive on promotion, whereas A & B trades are usually acting for a probation period. As an X trade, it was very difficult to lose it as it takes a Court Martial to bust a substansive full screw. I knew one Lance Jack who was busted down to Craftsman for going AWOL (which could be done by the CO), but that was an exception to prove the rule.

I ended up the only baggie actually pushing to get shit done, having seen how bloody awful the plt admin was.
No one knew who was turning up, or even how many pers were in the unit.
I ended up writing reports after exercises on behalf secco on the other lads in my section because he couldn't give two shits about them and dumped it on me.
It got so bad that command had no idea if I was still in the unit after I went on holiday to the US, despite being told multiple times I was going.

Despite desperately lacking NCOs, the unit promoted pers with ~18 months service who promptly buggered off to greener pastures. Also promoted female pers to keep them in the unit, keeping up the gender ratio, despite them being frankly bloody awful at their job.

Eventually a stripe was hurled at me and the saga of LCPL Dicknuts began.

Lance Jack on finishing RMPTC, Full screw after passing Corporal's course just over 18 months later, was local Sergeant (unpaid) 18 months after that in Northern Ireland as there wasn't a Corporal's mess in Armagh on WIS. On my return to the mainland I was acting orderly sergeant/section commander as we didn't have a substantive sergeant (which pissed the class 1 corporals off as I was only a class 2!) :D

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Lance Jack on finishing RMPTC, Full screw after passing Corporal's course just over 18 months later, was local Sergeant (unpaid) 18 months after that in Northern Ireland as there wasn't a Corporal's mess in Armagh on WIS. On my return to the mainland I was acting orderly sergeant/section commander as we didn't have a substantive sergeant (which pissed the class 1 corporals off as I was only a class 2!) :D
Drumadd Bks?

My bold. Memory jog:- A few days before i was due to fly back to the UK for my resettlement course at Aldershot I made a courtesy call on my old OC, whose driver i was for over a year, he pushed some paper work across his desk and said" Sign these and you will be promoted to full corporal tomorrow" I declined, it was a nice offer, but as my family were now all in the UK, and our goods and chattels were in a container somewhere at sea, it wasn't an option.
No point in PERSEC for this one. Do you remember Bob Delve the E/D? Proper miserable twat whose whole life was just whinging and moaning. Anyway, Bob, who unsurprisingly was a long time siggie, went to sign off. The OC (The one you drove around) asked him what would make him stay in. "Promotion!" was the obvious answer, so our boss fixed it and a few weeks later he got his first. I should add that in those days the first was in the CO's gift. About six months down the line Bob got bust for something probably quite trivial and was back where he started. By now though Bob knows how the system works so a few weeks later goes to sign off. They let him do the paperwork and he gets called into the OC's office. The good major tells Bob how sad it is that he has handed in his notice and it would be nice if he stayed. "If you promote me I'll stay," says Bob. "Ah well, it's been nice knowing you Sig Delve. Good luck!"

I just went on every course I was offered or could apply for.
Then once qualified it seemed it was a case of promote or be acting rank until promoted.

I was never going to be a WO1 as i peed off to many seniors, often being more qualified than them.
CO on my last day said I would be a loss to the regiment, if he had promoted me I would have stayed.
That...Is the absolute truth. It always amazed me how few people were qualified for their next promotion and just how many would put off that career course until 'next year'.

There was a thread a few months ago about what advice you would give a sprog and I suggested 'Do every course at the first opportunity'. All other things being equal, it is the key to success.

Iwasn't what you would call a high flyer but..
I started out as a junior and after being at my first unit for 18 months pt2 told me I was catapulted to local unpaid lcpl,(I hasten to add NOT rmp)after a further 12months I was posted out and tape taken down,
and on arrival at my new unit the ssm said "best bib and tucker OCs interview 0900" there I was told manning and records at haifax promoted me substansive ...which was nice, I was at 19and half, ace2 b2 junior drills but as I was ony a 6 yr man that was as far as it went.

Latest Threads