Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you get promoted?

Regular service
Joined 1976 (infantry)
Lance jack 1979 (transferred to Int Corps in 1981)
Full Screw 1983
Sgt 1985
Left Regular service in 1990 on day I should have been promoted to SSgt...

TA
Joined as a Trooper in 1990
Lance Jack a week later...
I actually turned down a promotion in about 2006 so as to allow a TA mate a chance to get his third but still made SSgt by 2000...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Did NCOs' cadre. At the farewell p¡ss-up (in the Mess) I asked the RSM (I was in Command Troop, and yes I was sober) my prospects. "When the hole in your árse heals up." Thanks a bunch.

18 months later, having run the Battlegroup Command radios quite successfully through that time, and commanding an RHQ rebroadcast Ferret, during a gap between Phases 1&2 of the German Linguist Course the CO had signed off on, I represented the regiment on Sabre, Army's entry in the Tall Ships Race. Back to camp for Monday morning, having been d¡cked for day guard after the IRA had taken the war to BAOR. Somebody must have decided my status was rather above my pay grade. Mucker whispered in my ear, get your spare kit into the tailor's. Promotion published on Friday.

On the Friday I ensured I was on stag when Part 2 Orders were published. Saw Orders, went into basha, swapped Combat Jacket. Walked into Guard Room, got pulled by Guard Commander who accused me of being improperly dressed. Waved arm at him. "How did you do that?!?"

Corporal came automatically after one year since joining RAPC Transfer In Course. Had a heated discussion with the Workshop 2ic on the day. He tried to block the promotion. Comd Finance 1 Armd Div had a quick phone call with 2ic to keep his nose out of Pay affairs and he'd keep his nose out of REME affairs. Phew.

Sergeant was due four years after making Corporal iirc. Posted to Professional Training Wing for the Computer Centre two years after promotion. First day in Worthy Down, I made sure I made myself known to PTW. We don't have corporals in the PTW or the Computer Centre (which I knew, why I'd gone in, get it cleared up early), Sergeant Alien, get your kit in the tailor's. Local until I was time served.

Substantive Sergeant due, I had another heated discussion, this time with RSM over the behaviour of a pair of SSgt's boys who'd directly crossed my orders for the Guard Commander. Turns out the SSgt was the RSM's buddy and I was significantly outnumbered and outgunned in the subsequent heated discussion. Until I recounted the orders issued to me directly by the Garrison Sergeant Major because the RSM was away on leave over the Bank Holiday.

Me and promotion? Is it any wonder the only command I had throughout my working career was a rebro Ferret?

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
Observations about L/Cpl cadres back in the Fatherland; they seemed sketchy and piecemeal. The entry/application system seemed dependent on the CO's whim: BFT's under 9:30, B1 trade, 3 years service, the lecture was on how to wash a woolly pully, beastings and pointless parades, kit inspections on the square.....little in the way of technical acumen or educational testing? No wonder some of the switched-on types were reluctant to attempt the JNCO cadres. Saying was: " hardest stripe to earn, easiest to lose!"

I was envious of those who automatically were promoted on leaving boy service: RAOC Ammo Techs, for example got full-screw on qualification. RMP as well?
I was an officer. Training, talent and ability didn't really come into it.

Issi

War Hero
Did a pre JNCO’s cadre, and was awaiting my first tape when I got posted to the UN on an A/Tprs posting.

“Don’t worry, you’ll get your tape when you get back”

Six months later, back to Germany.

“Oh, you’re back, change of plans, you’re now going to HQ Sqn”
“With a tape Sir?”
“Um, not sure about that”

So found myself at the bottom of the pile again.

PaulinBont

Old-Salt
Regular service
Joined 1976 (infantry)
Lance jack 1979 (transferred to Int Corps in 1981)
Full Screw 1983
Sgt 1985
Left Regular service in 1990 on day I should have been promoted to SSgt...

TA
Joined as a Trooper in 1990
Lance Jack a week later...
I actually turned down a promotion in about 2006 so as to allow a TA mate a chance to get his third but still made SSgt by 2000...
24444*** then?

Niamac

GCM
Here's a Rupert story.

One morning as a Second Lieutenant I was summoned to the adjutant's presence.
He looked up from his work and said, "You've been promoted to Lieutenant, Congratulations" and went back to his papers.

I went back to the Squadron office and the 2 Idle Charlie asked me what it was about. When I told him he immediately took one of his pips off and bullied the other Troop Commander to surrender one of his. They then set about my shirt epaulets with a knife and I was, as they said, properly dressed in no time.

It was a gesture that warmed me for the rest of the day.

TamH70

MIA
I got mine by shamelessly begging and pleading for it. I will admit flat out though that I was far from a natural leader.

Think it was complete desperation in my case. Despite absolutely no leadership qualities or ambition, think they they threw one at me to see what happened , with about 9 months left before demob. In quieter moments,I was surprised how much better and interesting everything was.......I still left when my time was up.

Oral sex.

Who knows what I could have achieved if I'd let him do it again.

Charles1948

On ROPS
On ROPs
Having studied the above posts, I'm led to wonder, as a civilian - does anyone in the military ever get promoted just by being good at their job?

I got promoted because cellphones with camera and video recorders hadn't been invented yet. :razz:

Charles1948

On ROPS
On ROPs
When you mention camera and video recorders, it leads me to wonder, as a civilian, this:

Do all army officers these days, have to be equipped with recorders when they are carrying out their duties?

When you mention camera and video recorders, it leads me to wonder, as a civilian, this:

Do all army officers these days, have to be equipped with recorders when they are carrying out their duties?
ALL officers are subject to monitoring. Where practicable- they are shadowed by a L/cpl who has completed the approriate Go-Pro / video editing course. If solo-they are fitted with body worn video and are to engage it whenever it is anticipated they will...do something / come into contact with anybody.
All the footage is saved to an SD card and is stored for 4 years. If no complaints about anything have come to light in that time- the SD card can be wiped and re-used.

Further to my last- and I'm not 100% and happy to be corrected but -
I think they do it slightly different in the RAF. All RAF officers, whilst not engaged in flying duties / hotel reviewing, are accompannied by av troup of airmen trained in the mystic arts of amateur dramatics. Should the actions or behavior of the officer be brought into question at any point, the airmen are thus able to give a pretty accurate re-enactment of proceedings through the medium of dance.

Charles1948

On ROPS
On ROPs
ALL officers are subject to monitoring. Where practicable- they are shadowed by a L/cpl who has completed the approriate Go-Pro / video editing course. If solo-they are fitted with body worn video and are to engage it whenever it is anticipated they will...do something / come into contact with anybody.
All the footage is saved to an SD card and is stored for 4 years. If no complaints about anything have come to light in that time- the SD card can be wiped and re-used.
Thanks super. I feared it might be like that. Doesn't it make Officers inhibited from giving orders, in case their orders might be proved, later, to be not right. Your remark about Officers being "shadowed", as you put it, by a L/cpl with training in video editing, makes it sound even worse.

Latest Threads