How did you get promoted?

Rightsaidfred

On ROPS
On ROPs
I knew a Corporal at 11 Sigs (when it was still at Helles Barracks), who got posted to Colchester as one of the team there. I was on his last Recruit Troop before he went south. I've never heard of anyone coming to 11 Sigs as a former inmate turned D.I., so I think you're spot on.
Yes I knew a full screw from basic who went to Colly too. Definitely his World.. lol
But was a decent bloke as a Drill pig. Seemed to love the Drill & thrill so I guess going back to a working regiment was not appealing :D

I knew a Corporal at 11 Sigs (when it was still at Helles Barracks), who got posted to Colchester as one of the team there. I was on his last Recruit Troop before he went south. I've never heard of anyone coming to 11 Sigs as a former inmate turned D.I., so I think you're spot on.

In 3 Tp, was he? Used to be a right comedian that would do a pre-inspection and if you were on his sh1t list he'd scrape the sole of his ammo boots across toe caps.
Oh how we in 4 Tp laughed at his antics, the cnut.

TamH70

MIA
In 3 Tp, was he? Used to be a right comedian that would do a pre-inspection and if you were on his sh1t list he'd scrape the sole of his ammo boots across toe caps.
Oh how we in 4 Tp laughed at his antics, the cnut.

If it was in '91, then yep, it was the same guy. He was sound as a pound to me and my troop mates. He was also DS when I had my second go at passing my T.A. recruit course after binning the first one when my knee blew out.

If it was in '91, then yep, it was the same guy. He was sound as a pound to me and my troop mates. He was also DS when I had my second go at passing my T.A. recruit course after binning the first one when my knee blew out.

Ah, not the chap, mucker. He was from the 70s. Utter b0llo0ckchops, disliked by all the other full screws in 1 Sqn, which is going some considering some the beasts that could gravitate to basic. He ended up as an RP Sgt, I believe. Fcek knows how, I thought he worn his nose right down to the cheekbones with all his brown nosing so could never get his third.

Rightsaidfred

On ROPS
On ROPs
Ah, not the chap, mucker. He was from the 70s. Utter b0llo0ckchops, disliked by all the other full screws in 1 Sqn, which is going some considering some the beasts that could gravitate to basic. He ended up as an RP Sgt, I believe. Fcek knows how, I thought he worn his nose right down to the cheekbones with all his brown nosing so could never get his third.
Bet he was a combat siggie they did provo staff.
When they still had..
Combat signalman
Combat Driver
Combat Lineman
Then around 90....
Driver Lineman..all 3 together

Last edited:
Not my promotion, but that of a former colleague of mine who had spent his National Service in the Royal Navy. He served in the then Antarctic patrol ship HMS Protector, which served as guardship in the Falklands and other territories down south.

Their Lordships, in their wisdom, chose to select some national servicemen for commissioning, and in due course T**** and three others were appointed - as I recall his story - as acting temporary midshipmen. The problem was that nobody told T****. The first he knew of his elevation was when he got the liberty boat back to the ship from the fleshpots of Stanley, and only slightly unsteadily made his was up the accommodation ladder. At the top he was a little uneasy to see the Master-at-Arms, so pulled himself together, saluted the quarterdeck and turned smartly forward towards the ratings' messdecks.

He was stopped in his tracks by the MAA, who informed him of his promotion by means of: "Mr ********, sah, where the f*ck do you think you're going?"

The officers' accommodation in those days was aft.

The CO of HMS Protector didn't know quite what to do with the new snotties, so distributed them as assistants to other officers. T***** found himself assistant to the ship's Whirlwind helicopter pilot, and spent much of his remaining time learning the rudiments of flying and also learning quite a lot about the Falklands. It proved quite useful in his posting to the Falklands as a civilian in the late 80s.

I simply got a 'Happy now? There's your third... prop.'

Saying was: " hardest stripe to earn, easiest to lose!"

It seemed to take forever to get to LCpl, 5 years out, a cadre under my belt in which I came in the top 10 (9/10), hoops jumped through, volunteering for anything and everything, workshop do’s organised etc. etc. Then out of the blue my boss says to me, “Why aren’t you a Lance Jack?”Well you tell me boss, was my reply. “Ok get your Arrse in front of the OC and tell him you want to be a Lance Corporal then!” Was his retort and that’s why 10 minutes later I found myself in the OC’s office with the ASM breathing down my neck, blurting out like a burst ********. 2 months later I’m a mess member, 14 months after that I’m a full screw, funny ol’ game in it!

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
He couldn't, I was working and had my own patrol car. ;)
And my car was full...me, a mate (yes I have some, honest) and 2 kayaks on the roof. The second half of the whitewater leader course had been cancelled due to excess water...

I couldn't believe how high the flood water was, we couldn't even shut the motorway and send them up the diversion route as that was under water too!

And my car was full...me, a mate (yes I have some, honest) and 2 kayaks on the roof. The second half of the whitewater leader course had been cancelled due to excess water...
Can't have been that good a course, then.

The second half of the whitewater leader course had been cancelled due to excess water...
I done my course at BOBC Norway, and they had to get the floodgates opened from a hydro electric station for the correct amount of water to flow to allow us to continue.
There is no such thing as excess water when you are on a canoe-kayak white water course. The clues in the name. 1973-4 ;)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Can't have been that good a course, then.

In Nepal you do the white water rafting in the dry months.

If you do in the rainy season or just after, the rivers are too full, so they are deep.
As they are deep, the rocks are all very underwater and there's no white water as such.

Latest Threads