How did you get promoted?

Joined RMP after serving in infantry battalion did course at Chichester became Laplace, went to Berlin passed full screws course but my RSM held my promotion back 6 months as I wouldn’t drop an investigation into his drinking buddy.

Eventually left and went to Catterick headed up a UIE unit after SIB attachment which I resigned from after seeing corrupt practices, interestingly the guy that was doing it was last I heard a senior officer.

Got a posting to Cyprus where our Chief clerk would frequently drink drive so I caught him at it, he was arrested and the blood that was taken interestingly became contaminated???

Eventually got my second when the knob left and now 6 months behind in promotion league. Various other courses and ended up as Sgt at Regimental Training Wing in Osnabruck teaching law, Pira tactics etc.

Used to run the promotion courses from lcpl to Cpl, on one occasion I refused to pass a lcpl as he couldn’t read a map. After I was ordered to retest him on two other occasions he again failed miserably, was then ordered by CO to pass him.

Ended back in Catterick coming top of my class at Pl commanders course and due promotion to Sgt, whilst on duty a young soldier came into duty room in tears and blood streaming from his arms where he had tried to top himself.

After a cup of tea later and dressing his wounds I had him taken to the local Military Hospital to be cared for, unfortunately for me the young duty officer couldn’t relate to him and he trashed the place.

I was then hauled up and made to write a further military report on my actions, I ensured that the lads and the young soldier were covered and went into great detail the law and the mental health act, finishing the report with the statement that should any disciplinary action be taken against myself or anyone involved in the incident then I would defend myself in an elected Courts Martial.

The very next night I knew what was coming my way when I was told that my promotion had been permanently stopped by the RSM. Unfortunately I taped the whole meeting and made a formal complaint against the RSM and the Unit.

Within 3 hours I was suspended from duty and from any contact of my platoon, then within two weeks I was put into a dead end job as the MT Sgt. 3 months later I was medically discharged with PTSD when this RSM found out that I had PTSD in the past.
So rozzers even apply the attitude test to other rozzers? Fecked up or what? I had a 44 year old RAFP Cpl working for me at one point, who was actually quite a good bloke. His story was that he had bagged a previous Station Commander drink driving and refused to drop the case. Career over at that point.

Joined RMP after serving in infantry battalion did course at Chichester became Laplace, went to Berlin passed full screws course but my RSM held my promotion back 6 months as I wouldn’t drop an investigation into his drinking buddy.

Eventually left and went to Catterick headed up a UIE unit after SIB attachment which I resigned from after seeing corrupt practices, interestingly the guy that was doing it was last I heard a senior officer.

Got a posting to Cyprus where our Chief clerk would frequently drink drive so I caught him at it, he was arrested and the blood that was taken interestingly became contaminated???

Eventually got my second when the knob left and now 6 months behind in promotion league. Various other courses and ended up as Sgt at Regimental Training Wing in Osnabruck teaching law, Pira tactics etc.

Used to run the promotion courses from lcpl to Cpl, on one occasion I refused to pass a lcpl as he couldn’t read a map. After I was ordered to retest him on two other occasions he again failed miserably, was then ordered by CO to pass him.

Ended back in Catterick coming top of my class at Pl commanders course and due promotion to Sgt, whilst on duty a young soldier came into duty room in tears and blood streaming from his arms where he had tried to top himself.

After a cup of tea later and dressing his wounds I had him taken to the local Military Hospital to be cared for, unfortunately for me the young duty officer couldn’t relate to him and he trashed the place.

I was then hauled up and made to write a further military report on my actions, I ensured that the lads and the young soldier were covered and went into great detail the law and the mental health act, finishing the report with the statement that should any disciplinary action be taken against myself or anyone involved in the incident then I would defend myself in an elected Courts Martial.

The very next night I knew what was coming my way when I was told that my promotion had been permanently stopped by the RSM. Unfortunately I taped the whole meeting and made a formal complaint against the RSM and the Unit.

Within 3 hours I was suspended from duty and from any contact of my platoon, then within two weeks I was put into a dead end job as the MT Sgt. 3 months later I was medically discharged with PTSD when this RSM found out that I had PTSD in the past.
When were you at Catterick?

Ahh, I was well gone by then, I left Catterick in 1992 and was posted to Fally, I jacked it in 12 months later.

G4Star

Old-Salt
Promotion is so over rated.
All I ever wanted was to make Sgt & get in the WO/Sgt's Mess.
I reached the dizzy heights by shear luck & showing good soldiering skills.
And the fact I was doing the job of a Staffy so the felt they had to.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And you didn't give him a lift?
FB_IMG_1635413586848.jpg

So rozzers even apply the attitude test to other rozzers? Fecked up or what? I had a 44 year old RAFP Cpl working for me at one point, who was actually quite a good bloke. His story was that he had bagged a previous Station Commander drink driving and refused to drop the case. Career over at that point.

Everyone gets a chance to pass the attitude test. I arrested a pissed twat for excessive twattery. He was very uncooperative but we eventually got him under control. Post arrest search reveals his police ID. I asked why didn't he identify himself, he replied (in pissed indignation) that it shouldn't matter if he was a cop. So it didn't.

Rightsaidfred

On ROPS
On ROPs
There were tales when I was in of guys from the larger “Corps” being discharged from Colly and being given a tape and sent to the Depot as a trainer.
What can you do as a Lance Jack in a training Depot...provo staff, stores, dog Handler or maybe PTI if qualified. No way a Drill pig or any skill at arms. Full screw upwards.
Yes Tales...are just that in most cases

TamH70

MIA
What can you do as a Lance Jack in a training Depot...provo staff, stores, dog Handler or maybe PTI if qualified. No way a Drill pig or any skill at arms. Full screw upwards.
Yes Tales...are just that in most cases

I knew a Corporal at 11 Sigs (when it was still at Helles Barracks), who got posted to Colchester as one of the team there. I was on his last Recruit Troop before he went south. I've never heard of anyone coming to 11 Sigs as a former inmate turned D.I., so I think you're spot on.