Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you get promoted?

PaulinBont

Old-Salt
Observations about L/Cpl cadres back in the Fatherland; they seemed sketchy and piecemeal. The entry/application system seemed dependent on the CO's whim: BFT's under 9:30, B1 trade, 3 years service, the lecture was on how to wash a woolly pully, beastings and pointless parades, kit inspections on the square.....little in the way of technical acumen or educational testing? No wonder some of the switched-on types were reluctant to attempt the JNCO cadres. Saying was: " hardest stripe to earn, easiest to lose!"

I was envious of those who automatically were promoted on leaving boy service: RAOC Ammo Techs, for example got full-screw on qualification. RMP as well?

The entry/application system seemed dependent on the CO's whim:

Don't think CO's had much input into candidates.

BFT's under 9:30

Such a hardship

3 years service,

That would by why flyers were Full Screws at age 22 / 23

No wonder some of the switched-on types were reluctant to attempt the JNCO cadres. Saying was: " hardest stripe to earn, easiest to lose!"

Ho Ho Ho

Sounds very much like those that could talk the talk and not walk the walk.

Observations about L/Cpl cadres back in the Fatherland; they seemed sketchy and piecemeal.

Amongst other things, it was also used a pre-course for those attending SCBC. Therefore mainly based on Tactics, Fieldcraft, SAA and in barracks stuff like Drill, duties of an JNCO and all that good stuff. What it should never have been was piecemeal or sketchy.

Sounds like your Unit was pants.

Observations about L/Cpl cadres back in the Fatherland; they seemed sketchy and piecemeal. The entry/application system seemed dependent on the CO's whim: BFT's under 9:30, B1 trade, 3 years service, the lecture was on how to wash a woolly pully, beastings and pointless parades, kit inspections on the square.....little in the way of technical acumen or educational testing? No wonder some of the switched-on types were reluctant to attempt the JNCO cadres. Saying was: " hardest stripe to earn, easiest to lose!"

I was envious of those who automatically were promoted on leaving boy service: RAOC Ammo Techs, for example got full-screw on qualification. RMP as well?

Several R SIGNALS, INT CORPS and REME trades too.

The key is “B1 trade”. The trade being “B” pay spine. You needed to be on a T pay spine for the automatic promotion. That said, a flyer on a B trade could have been looking at NCO cadre a year or two after arriving in unit. The shiny LCpl tech would only be fresh out of training after that first year, it took so long, whereas a B trade could be done and dusted in 3 months.

In my time, A and B trades did not need to be class 1 for LCpl, it was common to see upgraders with a tape up at 8 Sigs (trade trg regt).

It all started at the ACIO, whatever trade you chose, your career was pretty much defined there and then, for better or for worse. At least for Corps troops. I imagine infantry, tanks and maybe arty, everyone’s basically on a level field and the best should promote. Different in the technical corps, where there’s a wide range of trades and abilities.

There were some real ********* with tapes on their arm in my time, but that was on both sides of the fence.

I got promoted during a train journey from Plymouth to Falmouth. I'd finished my leadership qualifying course and was then posted to HMS Cambridge doing guardroom duties as an AB (private). They would not give me my Leading Hand rate as that would leave them short on the main gate roster. I was then drafted to The Montrose which was alongside in Falmouth. Whilst enroute, I was phoned by my oppo on there saying "Have you got your hooks (slang for Leading hand eppaulettes) as you're now joining as a killick (slang for Leading hand -Corporal equiv).

Promoted by Glasgow in Germany, not given it by my OC, promoted again in Ulster, put on hold because my Yeoman wanted me for an organisation move. Had a knock on effect with my future Senior NCO seniority dates, which eventually capped my career at SSGT. Thanks Russ, thanks a bunch

By having the talent to bluff your way through courses that gave you a trade that had a rank to go with it. I'd never have made Sgt had I not needed it to be an Aircraft Commander.

Several R SIGNALS, INT CORPS and REME trades too.

The key is “B1 trade”. The trade being “B” pay spine. You needed to be on a T pay spine for the automatic promotion. That said, a flyer on a B trade could have been looking at NCO cadre a year or two after arriving in unit. The shiny LCpl tech would only be fresh out of training after that first year, it took so long, whereas a B trade could be done and dusted in 3 months.

In my time, A and B trades did not need to be class 1 for LCpl, it was common to see upgraders with a tape up at 8 Sigs (trade trg regt).

It all started at the ACIO, whatever trade you chose, your career was pretty much defined there and then, for better or for worse. At least for Corps troops. I imagine infantry, tanks and maybe arty, everyone’s basically on a level field and the best should promote. Different in the technical corps, where there’s a wide range of trades and abilities.

There were some real ********* with tapes on their arm in my time, but that was on both sides of the fence.

Meh! Trade training for 12 months gave me, and all my colleagues, A trade . Actually Passing the initial course of around 11 months and 2 weeks duration gave A3, then we continued for a further 2 weeks of advanced assessment and received A2. L/Cpl was automatically awarded on passing the A2.

Returning to the school after a minimum of 2 years practical experience in a unit to attend the trade upgrading assessment course saw the candidate receive A1 status. However, as soon as the individual was promoted to SNCO the A1 changed to T1 pay banding.

To be promoted we had to do all the military stuff, educational stuff, attend professional technical trade courses and be technically assessed too - I attended as many civvy courses as military courses. With a small trade of around 30 people spattered around UK and NATO it was reasonably easy to map a future career and predict promotions.

Hardest to get, easiest to lose.

Yup.

Not my fault the twat who started being a knob in an ambush position on Sennybridge had to have a size 9 to the swede.

What I didn't realise was the twat was wearing tropical combats underneath a windproof and had no warm kit on. He was Hypothermic and I didn't recognise the symptoms, he got taken off the training area, I got my tape taken off me. However, he was invited to leave the unit as he was a ******* bellend. I got my tape back the week after he buggered off.

PaulinBont

Old-Salt
Sounds familiar. When I got out and joined the FS it was very structured promotion- wise:

Qualifying Examinations :

LFf Part One ( Drills)
LFf Part Two ( Technical Exams)

Sub O Part One ( Practical Drills)
Sub O Part Two ( Technical Exams)

Stn O (4 Technical Exam papers all to be passed at the same sitting).

Promotion Board interviews for the actual promotion.

Last edited:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
How was i promoted?

Pity...

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hardest to get, easiest to lose.

Yup.

Not my fault the twat who started being a knob in an ambush position on Sennybridge had to have a size 9 to the swede.

What I didn't realise was the twat was wearing tropical combats underneath a windproof and had no warm kit on. He was Hypothermic and I didn't recognise the symptoms, he got taken off the training area, I got my tape taken off me. However, he was invited to leave the unit as he was a ******* bellend. I got my tape back the week after he buggered off.

I only lost my lance jack once, full screw never and was a Sgt 3 times.

Mine was freebie after 11 months.

Full screw a year later.

Sgt 7 years after that. What can i say? Im a cünt.

Swings and roundabouts. Six years Cpl to Sgt (last of cohort to promote) five years Sgt to Captain (first of cohort to Commission and the only one to make Major).

Last edited:

no f in beer

War Hero
Hmmm, i would lik e to think it was totally deserved, however. BAOR, 79 been there 2 years, Drink was a major factor in my life. Posted and promoted, which i suspect was a way of kicking my arse and getting rid of me at the same time.

Of course, it probably really was my excellent Military and trade skills, but i have my doubts :)

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
My promotion in the HAC Home Service Force followed a different path. My OC asked me about the first exercise - London District test exercise on Copehill Down. I made a schoolboy error that no true soldier would make. I said all great except the lack of kit. Why were we erecting barbed wire obstacles without wiring gloves or twisting together D10. Didn't we have a crimping tool ? A few seconds later I was corporal acting local unpaid staff sergeant CQMS.

Last edited:

B42T

LE
I was promoted to CPL in the Falklands in 1987, the OC turned up and asked why I was incorrectly dressed.
huh goes I, before he slung a pair of tapes at me and said well done.
best part of it was that due to an admin cockup (no surprises there), it was backdated over a year and I got a pretty good pay packet a couple of months later.

dontenn

War Hero
Always on time, good at my trade skill and lots and more lots of back stabbing. and last but not least..... lots of beer drlnking.

Jambos51

Crow

R. Sigs det commanders course, 4 weeks total bullshit learnt nothing, run by a failing officer and Sgts whom if they had to go do there trade job, would have been posted missing, pointless course.

I posted this on another thread

“When I went for pilot training I was a Lcpl but had completed Junior Brecon. Local Sgt during the flying course and Acting on completion. About a year later I was on duty out of St Angelo in Fermanagh when my Flight Commander called to say they’d had a signal from Inf records and the Parachute Regiment had give me substantive rank. I was gob-smacked! “When you get back tonight” he continued “don’t sign in, go straight to the bar and we’ll be waiting for you to buy the first round”

“No problem” says I.

I get back and straight to bar where I get the drinks in and corner my FC. “I can’t understand how I would get sub Sgt” says I. “Who said anything about Sgt?” Says he.

I’d got my full screw.

Oh how they laughed.”

CC_TA

LE
First was was slid over the desk in Londonderry by my Tiff. Him knowing full well the clothing store was closed slide 'his' original stripe and gave me 5 mins to sign for my own slide from the closed clothing store or I'll be staying a crafty.
I reminded him the clothing store was closed and I was told to use my initiative. I politely declined his rank slide, slid it back across his desk and produced the one that had been in my top right for the past 3 months.
Second fell out of my call up papers for H9 and third* won't be coming anytime soon =-)

* Current LSgt stripes don't count.