How did the chaplains get on in the defence review?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bladesman, Feb 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Met some decent sorts in my time, but would not be surprised to find they had been civilianised by now. All kinds of civvies seem to get embedded these days, so would it not save a few bob if the squad were dispensed with?

No offence intended in asking the question by the way.
  2. I was told by a padre that they aren't "proper" officers. He told me that regardless of what "rank" they held they all got the same sort of wage. They apparently only wear the rank equivalent to the CF (chaplain to the forces) grade because it makes it easier for them to interact with the CoC.

So, to that end I'm not sure much savings could be made by replacing them with "normal" priests
  3. That may be true and officers know that.
    But junior padre flags something up "yes padre we will look into it" :(
    Senior padre air commodore makes a suggestion " yes sir right away sir!" :).

Their "rank"goes up fairly automatically be a brave officer who decided to ignore a senior padre probably knows all the top brass. Who tend to take a dim view of independant thought.
  4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The rank of a naval chaplain is defined as the rank or rate of the person they are speaking to.
  5. What an incredibly common sense way of doing it.
  6. The ministery, after much deliberation, decided to retain all of the chaplains. God however has received a brown envelope!

The MoD always has been a godless pile of shite, but now it's official.
  7. Owing to the plethora of selection courses within HM Forces, future Padres will now be obliged to do a length of the swimming pool................... walking on the surface.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Religious discrimination - what about the Rabbis and Imams who don't have that in their history?
  9. Speaking as a Zoarastrian, I couldn't give a fuck. They had their opportunity to buy a camel and do an Astro-Nav course.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. for some reason this reminded me of Mrs. DD's words of wisdom last night after watching a dog run up the aisle with some wedding rings on "dont tell the bride"

"god will be spinning in his grave up in heaven watching that"

she's an atheist.
  11. Rabbis are required to divide the swimming pool down the middle.

By the time the first two have finished, the pool is off the end of the haram scale, so the imam doesn't have to go near it.
  12. Civilian clergy could look after those troops based in UK, but they wouldn't be able to go on operational tours.