How did people determine Qibla before compasses were invented?

Sun rises in the East, sets in the West at noon GMT is due South, it moves West one hand span (at arms length) per hour....work it out from there.

Not really the right board to post the question....then again I can't think of a suitable one.

Sun rises in the East, sets in the West at noon GMT is due South, it moves West one hand span (at arms length) per hour....work it out from there.

Not really the right board to post the question....then again I can't think of a suitable one.
And if you just happen to be in New Zealand?

T

Tremaine

Quibla, the direction of the Kaaba toward which Muslims turn for their daily prayers towards the city of Mecca and specifically to the Ka'abah? Oh that old one. From UK Southy East somewhere I'd imagine. Wristwatch, sun, work it out. Have al look here.

And you must be a WAH

In New Zealand the sun still rises in the east and still sets in the west, muppet!
And at noon?

Especially noon GMT for that matter :)

A while ago people where trying to calculate this for a Muslim astronaut. Bloody hilarious, modern knowledge being used for superstitious ignorance.

And at noon?

Especially noon GMT for that matter :)
Well if the sun rises in the east, sets in the west and you're in New Zealand noon/GMT is most likely to be due north, is it not. If ever you saw the sun to the south, in New Zealand, then we are either all already dead or busy cartwheeling through space to oblivion in some black hole.

Keep your eyes peeled next year!

Well if the sun rises in the east, sets in the west and you're in New Zealand noon/GMT is most likely to be due north, is it not. If ever you saw the sun to the south, in New Zealand, then we are either all already dead or busy cartwheeling through space to oblivion in some black hole.

Keep your eyes peeled next year!
That was the whole point as the poster said "Sun rises in the East, sets in the West at noon GMT is due South"

So that is only true for a very small section of the planet.

That small section being the Northern Hemisphere?

I made the assumption that the OP was in the Northern hemisphere and that if necessary that anyone with a modicum of sense could adapt the calcs to suit their locale and not attempt to score points.

That small section being the Northern Hemisphere?

I made the assumption that the OP was in the Northern hemisphere and that if necessary that anyone with a modicum of sense could adapt the calcs to suit their locale and not attempt to score points.
Well not all of the Northern hemisphere though of course. Noon GMT being a bit darkish in New York for instance and the Artic circle haveing very strange sun directions (due north possible there as well).

Pedantry 'R' Us is the guiding principle round these parts BTW :)

Nope! You mean at noon, local time - not national or time zone!

That was the whole point as the poster said "Sun rises in the East, sets in the West at noon GMT is due South"

Yes the tiny northern hemisphere home to 90% of mankind.

One thing is the same everywhere on earth, aircraft and spacecraft excepted, the sun only rises in the morning and only sets in the evening. Even in New Zealand.

Yes the tiny northern hemisphere home to 90% of mankind.

One thing is the same everywhere on earth, aircraft and spacecraft excepted, the sun only rises in the morning and only sets in the evening. Even in New Zealand.
As noted above it was the bit about the sun being in the south at Noon GMT that was wrong.

Actually edit that as it is not wrong just very parochial.