How dark is MTP when wet?

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by commission_impossible, Jan 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We all know DPM turns black as soon as it gets a bit moist, however I haven't yet seen wet MTP.

How does it look?

Anyone got a picture?

2. Material science is always really interesting I find, take pies, these pies are quite dry.........

[​IMG]

.......there's nothing like doing your own research, now deactivate safe search and have a google image at wet pies.......

3. I find when MTP is wet it's like MTP but wetter.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Munch Them Pies?

5. What about sausage roll? What do they look like when they're wet?

6. Like the ones my missus makes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes it darkens off.

8. Smells like a damp dog aswell when it gets wet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I remember reading that it's has some sort of hydrophobic treatment at the molecular level so that the material doesn't actually get wet so it doesn't change colour. It also means that the salt in sweat doesn't stick to the cloths and can easily be brushed off.

I know they're working on improving the technology so that all the material is waterproof and breathable and there will not be any requirement for MVP rainproofs or gortex boots.

That's because the smelly stuff doesn't get absorbed but sits on the surface and therefore evaporates more quickly creating more smell. It doesn't last as long.

10. I've found that the Goretex isn't very breathable and about as waterproof as the issued smock, as for the new uniform I think it's horrible hate wearing it for work especially when you get grease and stuff from the helilfts or vehicles all over it the stains stick out like hi-vis in a flashlight and don't wash out a lot of the time either. Or for that matter dirt from exercise.

Used my g-tex boots once in the cold during gaurd on a wintery German night, found those to be pretty naff aswell however the issued cab's with aircrew socks are very warm.

"now they're working on improving the technology so that all the material is waterproof and breathable and there will not be any requirement for MVP rainproofs or gortex boots." as for this I'll believe it when I see it.

11. Is there anything you do like? Doesn't have to be uniform anything will do, you whining ******.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yes there is:
    Chocolate, issued combat boots and all forms of dpm kit, the older the better, the lee-enfield .303, slr, wildlife photography, airfix, whining and whinging. That's all I can think of at the minute.

• Like Like x 2
  13. So your a miserable old dinosaur then?

• Like Like x 2
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Perhaps you are tackling this from the wrong angle hence all the piss taking, surely the question needs framing against a balanced scorecard such as how wet does MTP have to be to look as black as DPM when wet (than quantify how wet the dpm was and what material and cut it was) alternatively if it gets the same as DPM whats the problem?
    Alternatively you may have noticed its been trialled and aproved so I shouldnt worry.
    Then again what sort of wet are we talking, sweat wet or rain wet?