How crap is your password?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Nov 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Own up:

25 Worst Passwords of 2011

SplashData created the rankings based on millions of stolen passwords posted online by hackers. Here is the complete list:
    • 1. password
    • 2. 123456
    • 4. qwerty
    • 5. abc123
    • 6. monkey
    • 7. 1234567
    • 8. letmein
    • 9. trustno1
    • 10. dragon
    • 11. baseball
    • 12. 111111
    • 13. iloveyou
    • 14. master
    • 15. sunshine
    • 16. ashley
    • 17. bailey
    • 18. passw0rd
    • 19. shadow
    • 20. 123123
    • 21. 654321
    • 22. superman
    • 23. qazwsx
    • 24. michael
    • 25. football
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I was a Network Administrator years ago and shared a instant dislike and mutual hatred with one of the Managers. Some how his account password had to changed every week weekly with a 15 charachter Words/Letters/Symbols / Hi/ Low case, With no repeats or even "close" passwords allowed .

Simple , childish but made my day when he forgot and had to get me to unlock his account:)

Also found many users with the password taped to the bottom of the keybd.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. None of them or my service number but I bet there are a few on here who use it
  4. The company I work for has over the last few years tried to make password security stronger, the result have been similar - now all you have to do is walk around peoples desks or check the back page of their desk diaries/note books.
  5. I wonder how many people use password generators and trust it with their own details?

A crap password is as bad as a blank default, of which I know a few systems have in place.
  6. That's the problem with strong passwords though, people will write them down somewhere.

As a lot of people won't use biometrics I think it is time for human chipping (bit like you do for dogs) and only the correct chip scan will allow access. This will also alleviate the requirement for passports and ID cards.

I wonder if I could get the EU intersted in making this law?
  7. My password for many sites is the first password I ever recieved when signing up to a site. Always remembered it and its a combination of numbers and letters.
  8. I use 'summer554' for all of my passwords. No-one has ever managed to hack it yet so it must be quite strong
    • Like Like x 5
  9. I came up with a pretty good way to make a password recently - use a phrase that you know well (e.g. a film quote) and use the initials of that quote as a password. Substitute some letters for numbers, throw in a few capitals and symbols and Bob's your uncle.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I generally use the name of an album i own with the number of tracks on that album as the digits and then a random symbol thrown in. I have a different one for each account but always find them easy to remember.
  11. Tech support: Are you using the right password?

Blonde: I'm using the same one as my colleage.

Tech support: Can you tell me what the password was?

Blonde: Five stars!!!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. my password isn't any of them. I do like the 'ilove you' one though, how romantic.
  13. I am lead to believe that Station X broke the ENIGMA codes with No 12, due to a ERIC having to resend a weather report and not changing the key setting.
    • Like Like x 1