How come...

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by chrisg46, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I can see that someone has posted in a thread, but when going to that thread to see what the muppet is on about, all his comments are hidden?

The specific example is Chief two posting in the warrent officers thread. I can see he has posted from the homepage, and i can go to his profile and see what he has actually said, but if i go into the thread itself to see the context, i get nada. I have noticed this on other threads in the past as well, usually those that involve idiots/trolls etc.
    I think therefore this might have something to do with anti troll settings somewhere, but i have never set that up.
    I realise i am almost certainly not missing anything, but on the off chance there is the occasional nugget of info being missed, or even so i understand just what everyone else is on about, how can i see the stupid people talking?

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

My account> My Preferences> Block posts by Site Trolls?

You'll have it set to "yes" I'd imagine. Set it to "No" if you're missing his inane wibblings.

3. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

And be careful not to reply or quote ... contrary to site etiquette, as I have been firmly [and justifiably] reminded.

4. chrisg46

Thats what i thought, but no such option there on mine...

5. blue-sophist

Try again ... I was switching between modes yesterday, and on one occasion the button wasn't there.

6. This seems to be a weird little bug: change another one of your preferences, any preference. When the screen refreshes, the troll cloak option should magically appear.

7. Yes. Thats exactly what I found. It depends what theme you are using. It seems I may have been banned previously for replying to a troll when I didn't even know it was a troll due to my troll filter being disabled in one theme but not another.

I'd give you a definative answer but as yet, have had no input from admin.

They must be really busy at the moment.....

8. blue-sophist

I'm glad someone else shared my problem. I had thought, briefly, it might have been a Management Sanction because I had replied to a Troll ... but then it sorted itself out. Phew!!

Good to see that "New Chief 1" still exists, though.
    Along with other assorted banned cnuts ... 8)

9. chrisg46

Yup that fixed it. I can now see the irritating little twerp....erm =(

10. There is an admin option to remove the choice from those who abuse it, but seems that most people are happy to self-police, so I don't think they use it much. Not sure why it disappears on some themes but it's a small enough bug that I'm not hurrying to find out why :wink:

11. blue-sophist

That would explain it ... Memo to Self: "Do not engage in slanging match with Mod via PM". :roll:

12. Dry your eyes FFS.

13. blue-sophist

Yawn.

14. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Is there an actual list of trolls somewhere? Just in case I get caught out you understand..

15. You'll know if you get caught out. You'll try to login and all it will say is 'username is suspended'.

I have had some experience of this. :roll:

Just make sure your troll cloak is set to 'Block posts by Site Trolls? - Yes'.

If you can't see that option in your account prefs, you may need to change the theme. I understand its a software glich and I'd hate for you to be unnecessarily banned due to a site problem.

Thats how I see it anyway...unless Admin could confirm or deny?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.