How Come?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by B_AND_T, Jul 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Anything posted in the NAAFI does not appear on the front page but does on the last 50 posts?

Is it a DII thing?

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

No. It's to a give a more gentle intro to the site. It's something that's been suggested in here in the past and I think we did on older versions of ARRSE, but has been lost in the move to VBulletin. The aim is to save first time visitors from getting their first impressions of the site from one of the less savoury threads. Most regulars use the Last 50 so no loss really.

3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for that, it just confuses the crap out of me. I don't like change at my sge.

4. You're right, change is to be feared.

5. Ah I thought I was on ARRSE ROPS!!!!

6. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

And another thing, how come threads in the last 50 don't run in order?

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

not sure if this is a wah given that this has been asked loads of times, explained loads of times and you're a long term user who I'm surprised hasn't seen this. Just in case it's not a wah, it's because the 'last post' time on any given thread is always up to date, while the search index used to generate the results is updated every minute. In between those updates threads don't change positions in the results list so get out of sequence.

8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

GCO, it wasn't a wah! It's only since NAAFI posts were removed from the front page and I started using last 50 that I noticed it.

Hangs head in shame and skulks away.

9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

That explains it then - sorry for doubting. Thought it was an an admin wind up!

10. How interesting.

11. Its Bitterandtwisted's Sig block, all xianxinyou's posts are a random quote of other posts in each of the threads its posted in.

The sig block quoted actually reads "I would rather be mexican bumwanked by giant haystacks and ram a jam jar of angry wasps up my ronson than be Camberwell Carrott........."

12. Yeah, quite.

I see "xianxinyou" has been killed. Good. I can stand my copyright lawyers down then? Advertising of such distinction (spelling notwithstanding) is fiendishly expensive. Let this serve as a warning to others: bankruptcy can be very difficult to swallow; either that or Forastero kills (he doesn't ask questions).

13. Can we do the same for ACF threads as they are object lessons in fuckwittery?